Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Highway 49 - The Little Dragon

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One of my favorite roads, we call it the Little Dragon.

It stretches only 14 or so miles from Bear Valley to Culterville in California's gold country. i found it

·
Registered
5,996 Posts
I did that complete circle at the MotoGP races two years ago...115 degrees, 420 miles, one day trip....whew...didn't pee or sheit for 3 days...dehydrated...

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
That map isn't exactly wrong, but it sure isn't right either. The little Dragon is on hwy 120 just where Hwy 120 splits off hwy 49 for that section between Hwy 49 and Big Oak Flat but the orange line on the map doesn't begin to reflect the shape of the road. Also 120 there is a newer version of the old road which is on the opposite side of that ravine, and it is called Priest grade. It was considered too hazzardous so the new road was built (some time ago I don't know when).
You can still use the old road, so do both. Another set of tight twisties are hwy 49 between Coulterville and Bear Valley. Bear valley is something else not on that map, its a spot on the road Hwy 49, as your going to Mariposa ya gotta do that too. If you can snag a AAA map called Central California
Bay area to lake Tahoe and Yosemite it's a great map for this whole Sierra area.
Any questions? Feel free to ask. And RoK On :)

·
Registered
228 Posts
...The little Dragon is on hwy 120 just where Hwy 120 splits off hwy 49 for that section between Hwy 49 and Big Oak Flat but the orange line on the map doesn't begin to reflect the shape of the road. Also 120 there is a newer version of the old road which is on the opposite side of that ravine, and it is called Priest grade...
I remember that section on the way up to yosemity in the cage a couple of years ago...I also remember there were no guard rails either :headshake. But I guess hitting a guard rail would only save the bike and not the rider anyway :crackup:

You also gotta luck out and hit that section before the campers do or it won't be much fun at all

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
That's the beauty of our best places. We don't have any guard rails. No forgiveness.

Actually, in the best places, no center line either.
The roads good enough to have a center line, are used by normal people and that conjestion thing.
The Little Dragon is particularly sweet corners though, so it can be forgiven for having a center line.

The whole Hwy 49 and hwy 120 to Yosemite part of this area gets major traffic on the weekends, so if at all possible, to get here on week days, it ups the chance of better enjoyment.

I wouldn't even go to the nice section of twisties on hwy 49, between Coulterville and Bear valley on a Sunday. That's a magnet for flat lander squids and others that should know better, but are starved for corners, so can't help themselves. They come from Modesto in a pleasent shot to get there, so they come in droves. Droves always include bikers that are total newbies, that went out and bought a serious Hot Sport bike and now there they are with others they want to fit in with, and these corners have a rock wall on one side and a drop off on the other side, and very short visable distance on the road.

I shudder to think about it :headshake

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
i always advise that routes be kept to PMs because you dont want your fun weekend ride ruined by someone watching what you are doing on the interweb.

just a safety thing so you can enjoy the roads more with out fear of blue and red lights

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Ok,:crackup:, no problem there, The available cops are already very savy to these spots, in this area. They don't need an alert to head out there.

You might notice, I never told anyone where I go. For that reason :thumbsup:

I live here, :helmet:

·
formerly GHOST RIDER
2,131 Posts
1 of the best on the 49 is between Coulterville and it's vista point (look out point) I posted a photo a while back from the look out point. It's about a 15 miles strech that has one hell of a twisties:mrgreen: and no guard rails just canyon goges and it doesn't forgive..The road are well maintiane and free of sand in the summer. Little or no traffic and CHP like to stay clear of that section but once in a long you'll see one passing along.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts