Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i finally finished my bike on monday night, and got to ride it wednesday night. i put about 120 miles on it on wednesday. i then rode it on thursday and put about another 40 miles on it. on the way home, as i tried to upshift (forgot what gear) the shift pedal was all freeplay. it wouldn't even grab or grind. it just sort of wobbled up and down, as if it disengaged from the transmission. i pulled over to see what the problem was. the bike would not come out of whatever gear it is in, and it won't even start back up. the part that where the the shift linkage connects to the motor/tranny just moves freely and doesn't grab anything, as if there are no internals. i think i need a new tranny. what could be my problem? if i pull in the clutch, it still rolls. i'm desperate here...plz help.

·
Registered
522 Posts
:+1: or atleast pull the clutch cover and check the shift detent and spring.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Mhhh check your gear selector, it seems to be out of place or not connected to the shift drum... Anyway, open you gear case (put your engine upside down) and take a look at it, there's something strange...

·
Registered
582 Posts
Damn I can just feel that sick feelin in my gut, i can't imagine the worry... Unfortunatley I've got nothin but a GOOD LUCK for ya... but I will spend a lil time lookin for possoble causes in the repair manual.... btw u said u just got it back together, what had happened to it?

·
Registered
582 Posts
Well im lookin at the repair manual... looks like visual inspection is the only way to go... shift fork bolts maybe, shift drum dowel? or broken shift shaft (unlikely) but possible i guess... cmon wheres the kawasaki mechanics on here? help a brother out!

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
i had the same prob happen to me about 2000 miles ago. Brougth it the kawi and they siad it was a shift shaft and the spring.

·
Registered
357 Posts
There are some c clips on the shift shaft that keep it from moving left or right. They can come loose and let the shaft move to the right and not let the bike shift. It can be fixed without splitting the cases. Grab the shiftshaft and see if it moves left or right and you will know. Not sure if thats the problem. Good luck.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
if i am on the bike, the shaft does go in and out. a friend of mine who is a tech for kawi told me that he would take a look at it this weekend but kind of eased my worries and said that it was probably something simple. i'm prayin it is!!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
to fire rescue...i bought the bike wrecked (first mistake!) back in january, and barely finished it. i was pretty upset to say the least. thanks for everyones imput.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
:badteeth:hey man hang in there it prob is somthin easy...kaw builds some pretty damn solid bikes...bottom line is you will love it here in a lil bit when shes all better:thumbsup:

damn same exact thing just happened to my bike. I just got back from picking it up on the side of the road. i have 26,000 miles on it. Is this covered by warranty???

·
Ex Postwhore
4,688 Posts
Samething happemed to me and all it was that the rear sets were loosing up from the bike do the shift link rod wasnt aliginig correctly so it was impossible to shift tightened it up and shifted as smooth as butter.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Samething happemed to me and all it was that the rear sets were loosing up from the bike do the shift link rod wasnt aliginig correctly so it was impossible to shift tightened it up and shifted as smooth as butter.
its not the rear set on mine its internal, like loosing the clutch springs all together. I work on dirt bikes and went to school for it I just don't want to open it if its covered by warranty.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
same exact thing just happened to mine mine will start up but it sounds like something has come loose and is bouncing around in there . whats the likeliness of a broken shift fork?? buy the way mine is an 06

·
Registered
819 Posts
I think someone already said it but if you pull the pan you will see where the shift shaft goes into the case and then on the other side you will see where there is a c-clip that holds it from moving around. That C-clip will sometimes come out of the grove and the bike will not shift just move that clip back into its grove and you should be all set:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
could the c clamp come so loose that it sounds like something is bouncing around in the transmission

·
Registered
819 Posts
its not a clamp its a CLIP, yea depending on where the shaft is at. An easy way to check it without pulling the pan is to grab the shaft where it goes into the motor and pull outward on it. If it slides out a little then catches and then you can shift its the clip

1 - 18 of 18 Posts