Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a 04 zx10. hear this howling sound from 20mph to 30ish. second or third gear. other speeds or gears i dont hear it much. called kawasaki and they said it was my alternator. they said they have had some issues with this. i been riding it like this for the past 50 or so miles. i heard from other sources that the alternator could grenade and cause all types of motor problems. has anyone had this issue or hear of it? kawi said they help me out even though its 5 yrs out of warranty. Question....if an alternator say did grenade and destroyed the motor..think kawi would give you a new motor??

·
inappropriate
7,728 Posts
sure its not your intake? or maybe its just the beast within that scares you? mine comes in the form of a swoshing sound from a twin scroll turbo :wink:

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
I don,t think they will give u a new motor but u better get it looked at quick.generator needs 05 parts cause they go and take out the motor and that sound is ur last warning.The howl is metal on metal.

·
Dont mess wit White Ninja
5,932 Posts
Mine makes a sound but I know its just the air passing threw my air intake and going into the box, sounds nasty when jumping and woting it!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
last fall i pulled my alternator out of my bike and looked at the bushings on the alternator shaft and they kinda looked worn out. there is a spec with the feeler guage that its suppose to slide through and it didnt because it was tight. i ordered the correct shims and put it back together with new bushings. well 1200miles later it is starting to howl really bad again this time i thinks its louder. any rpm 3800 and abouve i get the whinedy howling sound thats really annoying. seems to be the loudest around 4000rpm to 4400 in any gear. one day i had my brother ride it and i was riding my cruiser behind him and along side him, i had no helmet so i could hear it. it was very noticeable even off the bike. i want this to completely go away for good. i ordered new bushings again and various sized spacers so i do this right. anyone have inputs? thanks!

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
You need to have the correct gap. Copy from the manual:

AlternatorAssemblyPlay
Standard: 0.6 ~ 0.9 mm (0.024~ 0.035in.)
If the clearance is not within the specified range, adjust it.

Replace the toothed washer which brings the clearance
within the specified range.
Remove:
Circlip
Toothed Washer

Replace the following toothed washer(s).
PartNumber Thickness
92200-0123 1.0mm (0.039in.)
92200-0124 1.2mm (0.047in.)
92200-0125 1.4mm (0.055in.)
92200-0126 1.6mm (0.063in.)(standard)
92200-0127 1.8mm (0.071in.)
92200-0128 2.0mm (0.008in.)
92200-0129 2.3mm (0.090in.)

NOTE
Do not use two or more toothedwasher at same time.

·
Registered
582 Posts
It could be... my alternator went down last year and I remeber I heard that kind of sound some miles before I noticed.

I thought at first it was the air passing through the ram, like a turbo sound.

But, you may want to check your alternator first. its pretty simple thing to do by yourself.

Good luck

pd: my ride is a 2007 lime green kawi ! that was the only issue I had so far. She has 11 K miles

1 - 8 of 8 Posts