Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
MIA Post Whore
8,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
..do I over ride the mechanism in my head that constantly chants "slow in, fast out" in my head. I have no problem getting on the gas, usually even b4 the apex because I've slowed down so much b4 entering the turn. As Hill will confirm, I start slowing WAYYYYYY b4 a turn. I tried woking on that this weekend. Even with a moderate paced rider leading, I still saw him easing out on me approaching the turns, then I was just about touching his wheel just post apex. How do I learn to judge entry speed?? :dontknow:

·
Hillbillie Mod
20,155 Posts
try to go faster than the person next to you.

compeditive nature will push you wait to brake.

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
its not easy Miykl.

its a matter of confindence in your setup abilities as well as knowing what your capable of as you near a turn, i.e. braking, downshifting, body positioning etc.

Try this drill on your next solo ride. Find a nice consistant curvy section of road and try maintaining a certain pace both into and out of each turn, i.e don't accelerate or decellerate just steady throttle throughout.

BD

·
MIA Post Whore
8,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hillcountry10r said:
try to go faster than the person next to you.

compeditive nature will push you wait to brake.
adversion to pain overrides competiveness.

·
MIA Post Whore
8,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's weird... I can haul ass on the Gap, and other low speed, tight twisties. On a TIGHT (slower) section of road, my confedence is high. When the speeds are higher and perceved risk is more, I tend to go wayyy slower than need be. I get pissed at myself way b4 the turn knowing I should be going much faster. Even when Hill was following me video taping, i just couldn't make myself brake later. HOW, HOW, HOW do I rewrite the program????

·
MIA Post Whore
8,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Older Guy said:
Take some Ex-Lax before your next race...the problem will go away...
damn old fuggars.... dey think exlax solves every problem!!

·
MIA Post Whore
8,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ya'll just don't understand. How can i sleep at night knowing some 3 tooth Hillbilly is faster than me??? No self respecting Coonass can let a red neck possum eater out do em. I can't even show myself at the dinner table for Easter dinner. We'll maybe at the kids table. Damn. Fuggen track rid'n fuggars. Life was good back when i taught I was the sheeoot....

·
Registered
219 Posts
miykl, think of flow while on the track instead. It's unnatural to go fast around fast sweepers. One trick that helps me is to inching up the pace. 1st time slower than normal on ideal line. 2nd time faster but still slower than normal. Then normal pace...normal pace...then faster pace but remember to hold the same ideal line...then just go faster and faster until you're mental exhausted. Go back to the same routine in the afternoon sessions.

Good luck!!!

·
I really need to get out of the house
11,176 Posts
It all comes with practice. I think everyone thats been to the track goes through the same thing. Your entry speed will increase with the confidence you have in your front tire.

·
Hillbillie Mod
20,155 Posts
look..

If you'd have come to Longhorn track school...we would have went over this...:heyyou: :wink:

basically...try this...take the front straight at Houston.

go balls out of carosel the same way everytime...when you get to a brake marker...(be it a cone or some pavement, or skid mark or bit of grass...) grab a handfull of brakes that youre comfortable with...

if you stop way early...which you should since youre starting with a brake marker that is very conservative...no big deal...

next time...wait to brake just a bit deeper, using another deeper, brake marker....

so you go down the straight...wait till that marker comes, and brake the same way you did the lap before...then jsut go deeper and deeper. Its a gradual thing. but you can take the guess work out of it by using this method.

once you get the feel of braking later, and harder...it will progress to other aspects of the track.

·
PostWhore
13,496 Posts
Mikyl, i dont know if your talkin track ridin, or what...but you cant beat yourself up over one trip to the track, you aint gonna ride that great your first time....just wait till you get back there, and then see how much you improve, itll get better with practice.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
I find it interesting that you think you are going much faster out on the twisties on public roads, than you are on the race track. I really doubt that you are going faster on public roads. It just seems like that because you have riders passing you on the track and you can see that they are going faster than you are.

But I wouldn't want to ditch that "slow in, fast out beats fast in, slow out" mantra. Kenny Roberts Sr. used that his entire racing career. And he won world championships with that philosophy. You will achieve higher and higher corner entry speeds over time. Just relax and enjoy. Besides crashes and near misses slow down the most heroic riders. And crashes sure can spoil your ride.

·
Hillbillie Mod
20,155 Posts
zeta xray said:
...Just relax and enjoy. Besides crashes and near misses slow down the most heroic riders. And crashes sure can spoil your ride.
:shady: :eyecrazy: :helmet: :idea:

·
MIA Post Whore
8,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
zeta xray said:
I find it interesting that you think you are going much faster out on the twisties on public roads, than you are on the race track.
I guaruntee it! Even Hill said so. BUT... known roads and a bike I know well. The track and the bike were both new to me. And by the time I started learning them both I was getting worn out. I'll just try to quit over thinking this and just keep on keep'n on.

I learned more about what i was doing wrong with just the few tips Hill gave me than the whole rest of the day, but I was cooked by then, didn't even finish the session. That's why I was so pissed with the "school". It was worthless to me.

·
Registered
11,028 Posts
take your brake-pads out...

j/k...

practice.. later on the brakes each lap around... start with the problem corner, and follow someone that is a little faster than you on the turns.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Hey bro, honestly...do what hill said as far as moving brake markers. Because everything else remains constant and the only thing you've changed is where you start braking. If you do it this way then with all things being equal you WILL get faster through the corners. Of course all this is just MHO.

Also do as many track days as you can afford then, do more. Seat time goes along way in this game.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts