Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, i came to the point where the bike would spin the starter slowed and slower, and today it would not start at all. So i charged the battery. the battery showed about 12.6V. After I started the bike the system voltage stayed around 12.6V as well. So obviously, the stator or the rectifier is busted.

How do you know which one? Can I measure the resistance of the stator wires?

I will check the connections tomorrow just to make sure im not jumping to any conclusions

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
when checking the stator, disconnect all three leads and set a multi meter to AC Volts connect the leads from one wire to another, you have to do three tests for the stator to see if its putting out the right ACV it should be in the 20-30 AC V range....

you can do an OHM check as well and if my memory serves me right you hook your meter to each wire and the other side to ground and check all three to make sure they all read OL....

to test regulator you need to have a meter with the Diode function.... you have to disconnect the unit and hook the meter to the negative post and then check all the other 3 posts that have the yellow wires goin into them... then you do a reverse diode check by putting the negative lead of your meter to ground and running positive lead of meter to all three... voltage should be in the .450's or well around .400 mark.

hope it helps at all, you gotta understand electronics a lil to do the tests

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
P.S. Download the factory service manual and it will give you a walk threw of how to test things... any bike manual should have pretty much the same testing info required

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanx garth

unfortunately i do not have a meter with a diode function. can you please elaborate more about checking the stator

what wires exactly should the AC be measured between? 1 and 2, 2 and 3, and 1 and 3?

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
what wires exactly should the AC be measured between? 1 and 2, 2 and 3, and 1 and 3?
EXACTLY!!! :thumbsup:

if everything looks good there voltage wise I'd bet it was the reg/rec and replace it. Also make sure the leads going from the reg/rec have good continuity going to the positive and negative posts of the battery!

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
You the man garth... Btw if you have a stock battery than it might be getting old. I got 3 years out of my stocker.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok guys,
took the stator of today and one of the three coils is fried - it is reasonably darker than the other two!! So i guess i need a new stator. Anybody got one?

BTW, i measures the voltage output by the stator at 4000 RM and two of the coils were the same (20v) and one was very low! 3-5V

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
ok guys,
took the stator of today and one of the three coils is fried - it is reasonably darker than the other two!! So i guess i need a new stator. Anybody got one?

BTW, i measures the voltage output by the stator at 4000 RM and two of the coils were the same (20v) and one was very low! 3-5V
yep, thats pretty much the sign of the bad part you have shown... :thumbsup:

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
wow they are pretty pricy.... ronayers:

Parts found with Part Number: 21003-0054
Description STATOR
Price $204.65

hopefully you can find someone with a used one!

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
at this point ebay is my last option. im trying to find something local.

You've been of great help, garth

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
on the side note, since the epoxy around the windings cracked off alittle, should i

A) Change filter
B) change filter and oil
C) same as B + pull the pan and check the pick u screen
D) dont worry about oil

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
BTW, i could hear the notorious whining sound when the stator was disconnected and the engine was running. Is that good in such conditions?

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
if there was stuff like dust or debris from it coming apart I'd say yes. a piece of epoxy on the other hand most likely wont clog you up unless there are a ton of chunks in there... if you wanna be ont he major safe side, drop the pan and clean everything, new oil and filter as well!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts