Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 zx10 and i just had the stator and rectifier replaced. the bike will start but sometimes it struggles to start. When it struggles to start it resets everything. Like my clock and stuff. I was told that it was possibly the starter starting to go bad. Can anyone help me a little bit. I just dropped 400 bones on the stator and rectifier to be replaced only to find out that the starter might be going out. Thank you so much in advance

·
Registered
946 Posts
sounds more like a weakening battery, how old is it? and how much trauma has it been through?(with the bad stator and rectifier)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just bought the battery from advanced auto part. It was only a 40$ batter and i had to fill the acid myself. I had the battery tested and its pushing right at 14V. The reason i bought the cheap battery was because no where else had a battery that would fit in my battery tray. So i took the old battery in and just bought one that was the same size. I have only had the bike for almost 2 weeks so im not sure how rough its been riden. So i guess i will just borrow one of my buddies batteries and see if that fixes the problem. Thank you guys so much.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,541 Posts
You bought one the same physical size without checking the voltage requirements? Yeah, it doesn't work like that. How many cold cranking amps (CCA) is the battery rated for?

If the starter was going bad, it wouldn't cause the bike to under-volt and die/reset itself. It would be slow to turn, not turn at all, get really hot, etc. The battery you bought isn't up to the task. Get a better battery. One designed for your bike, not just one off the shelf.

·
Registered
280 Posts
The gauge cluster resetting, and it loosing the clock, is a classic electrical resistance problem with the Gen 1 and 2. The problem will be with the frame grounds, or with the positive battery lead connection to the starter relay.

You will need to check the two frame ground bolts under the fuel tank and clean any corrosion under them. You will also want to find the starter relay attached to the end of the positive battery cable and clean the corrosion under the connection bolts.

If you are still having resistance problems, please consult my thread about common electrical troubleshooting wisdoms, its a sticky at the top of this forum page.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
What SkyDork said!

So you threw money at a problem that may not have even been there to begin with?
Not sure why people do that when it's so easy to do a diagnostic test yourself..

Yeah the shitty battery will be the culprit!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah got a new battery and it os working fine now thanks for the help guys. And what did i buy without checking first? You said that i bought something without testing it first

1 - 8 of 8 Posts