Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Allright folks After hearing ya'll ask here it is how to polish the lips of your rims. First step is to borrow or get your own front and rear stands. You will want to remove the rims to make it easier on you. And Aircraft stripper likes plastics too! You are going to need the stands for a day or so depending on how fast you work. Dont worry it is easy to remove them you'll need a buddy to replace the rear though. My rims In these picks are dirty because I went out last night and got caught in the rain. but you'll get the idea.
Once You have the rims off place the spacers on there sides of the bike they came out of. Trust me! Then take the rims inside the house and place them on a old rag or something. This is where you will burn up alot of time. TAPEING! Use Duct tape yea the silver stuff.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well what are you doing with duct tape? The duct tape doesnt allow the stripper to seep undernieth it. Press it down hard! You want it to stay along the rough part of the rim. where it goes from being rough to smooth...

Attachments

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tape the spokes and hubs up too! also the Vaulve stem. Pretty much anything you want to retain paint. Now Go to advanced auto parts. No auto zone doesnt have this stuff. Get aircraft stripper. This stuff is awsome!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Prop the rims up AWAY from anything you want to stay painted! Like 30 or 40 feet!!! Spray a somewhat thick layer on your first rim. Go tape the second one up and allow that one to sit. After about 1/2 an hour hit it with the hose. walla! your rim looks like shit! Spray the second rim with stripper and hit the first one again after drying it off! Dont worry if you pushed the tape down hard your ok! So now both rims are soaking. Go eat... 1/2 an hour later wash off and do second coat on second rim. Now you need to remove all your tape. from the first MAKEING SURE ALL STRIPPER IS REMOVED! once you have them both stripped and sitting there sit down and get all that tape off. See them little tiny black specks. here's the bitch. Get an old tooth brush and dab them in some stripper. scrub the specs 2 or 3 times they'll come off. And no you dont need any of this shit!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Now it's time to mount the rims or polish them sitting down. To each his own. If you mount them be carfull. Have a buddy there to help and put them spacers back in properly! see I told ya! Now get some of this. Yea yea yea i know clean the backyard...

Attachments

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Now Start scrubbing makeing sure to apply the polish heavily and rub it till it is REAL Black! And then a bit more. Then clean it off. Repeat about 3 or 4 times. Poof Your blingin!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Get all the polish off the bike. Retighten everything {dont want to wreck} And go showing off!

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.