Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
How to save yourself 2.25 inches without losing handling! **UPDATED WITH FINAL PICS**

Well I was going to post this in the how to but it didn't let me.

Well this seat is from a Gen 1. I cut out about 2.25 inches out of the seat. I guess that saves me a bit since I don't have to buy them awesome helibars! :eyecrazy: Well actually I was thinking about buying that Shintch seat but I figured I'd try to save myself 130 bucks and tried this and if it failed then I would've ended up buying it.

The seat is far more comfortable now even though it may not look it. It contours to my bum. Now when riding I feel like I'm in the bike instead of on it.

Sorry for no before pictures. I did the project and didn't realize until the end that I should've took pics in the beginning, but I'm sure all you smart 10 owners should know what parts I skipped. I tried to put it back together so you guys would get an idea.

Tools needed:
Pliers (I couldn't find my needle nose)
Flat head (for the stubborn ones that doesn't want to come out)
Staple gun (I bought one from WalMart)
Staples (10mm 5/16 used for re-upholstering the vinyl)
Razor blade
Hacksaw blade (Comes in a pack for 4 dollars but I used the 24T x 10 used without the handle so you can flex it)
Sandpaper (umm I believe it's 100 grit)

1. Start by taking off the vinyl. (with your flat head and pliers)
2. With a sharpie marker, mark out what you would like to cut (I sat on the seat and had my wife outline my butt :lol:)
3. Use the razor and make the incision of the outline that you made of the shape you desire.
4. With the hacksaw blade (start hacking away)
5. Then when you get close to the shape that you want it to be use the sandpaper to smooth out and form the foam.
6. Place the seat back on the bike and see if that's what you wanted.
7. If it's how you like it begin to staple the vinyl back on (I stapled 2 on the rear corners and 1 in the middle then worked my way around while pulling on it to make it fit snug)

That's it, you're all finished. Took me about 30 mins, the clean up time though was umm 45 mins. It gets quite messy.

*please resize my pictures if they are too big*

Attachments

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Works out great for short people and Drag racers!!!

Did the same on my 06 also.

·
Registered
198 Posts
thanks...sportin a 5"8 frame ..Im trying it!!!!

Dang..I forgot I did this on my 96 srad...it took me a while..that was before lowering links were production..we had a shop make ours....lol..Thanks man...

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

This is what I was initially going to purchase. But I didn't want to cough up the money and liked the stock look better.

·
Premium Member
4,394 Posts
Very nice job! I'm surprised that there was that much foam to work with. This is a FAR better way to deal with short legs than lowering the suspension.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Very nice job! I'm surprised that there was that much foam to work with. This is a FAR better way to deal with short legs than lowering the suspension.
Thank you, there's still about 3/4 of an inch still available to take out.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts

This is what I was initially going to purchase. But I didn't want to cough up the money and liked the stock look better.
Besides loosing the Stock look if you have a big butt then remove the whole thing. I have a custom seat cover you can see in my Avatar but I also have my drag seat. To be honest I don't even feel uncomfortable with it to the point I don't even know where my stock seat is. I like how when I open my bike up even just a little bit I no longer slide and like you said it feels like you in the bike(like part of it not on top) :thumbsup:

·
Registered
308 Posts
Dude,

Nice job, I know what I'm doing this weekend!

·
Gun Owning Republican
5,278 Posts
I have done this for my 636 and 10R...It is very helpful...I did a write up like this at another forum 3+ years ago. You do a great job with the pics. Awesome work and yes people, it is nice to have the seat lowered as the stock seat feels bloated.

·
MIdlife PIMP
3,459 Posts
nice work man!!........always better to make instead of buy!!.......can't put a price on the pride you will have when someone asks you where you bought it,...........and you can say........haha.I made it!!

·
FEELING LUCKY, PUNK ?
5,739 Posts
Thanks. I will be working on mine soon.
But im thinking about taking all the foam out and replacing it with a thinner, yet sturdier foam.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks. I will be working on mine soon.
But im thinking about taking all the foam out and replacing it with a thinner, yet sturdier foam.
I was going to do the same and order some neoprine pad and cut it out to size but I never liked how it came out looking, the seat feels the same with just the plastic seat and 1/4 or 1/2 neoprine pad as it does with the stock cut out but the overall look is better with the way I did it here. If you look up to see bloos post, he took out his foam and just 3m the vinyl back on. That's pretty much how yours is going to look.

·
Guilty by association
8,751 Posts
How about a 3/4" thick gel pad? I think I might do this, and find some other fabric. The Alcantara that 9R to 10R did was pretty nice. I might just have to finally put that seat under the knife.
my butt thinks that may be comfy

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
my butt thinks that may be comfy
Damn you caught me before I deleted that!:lol:

But yeah, no need for me to repeat myself but I think this would work, just trim out the foam to fit this in. Personally I think I'll cut the foam so there is maybe 1/4" left, slap that gel pad in there and stitch her back up. I'm no good at explaining without going into detail but if I decide to do this maybe I'll contribute a write up. Here's the gel pad I have in mind, pretty inexpensive compared to some aftermarket seats.:headshake

http://www.jcwhitney.com/SADDLEGEL-SEAT-PADS/GP_2007056_N_111+10211+600014417_10111.jcw

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I was looking for the kind of foam they use on mats that cashiers have to stand on, it's real spongy and I thought my bum would've liked it. But I could not find any locally so I said the heck with it.

·
La Flama Blanca
7,730 Posts
Great way to go, that way you don't have the negative handling effects of lowering the bike, and lowered bikes look retarted as well IMHO (unless your draging, then it serves a purpose)

Heres a tip for you I learned off the Discovery channel, those custom seat builders use electric carving knives to shape the foam.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts