Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the local shop put water wetter in my motor and drain the antifreeze due to a track day that I missed. Anyway, now I need to put anitfreeze back in due to the time of the year. Since I have never done this and the manual tells me to take it to a dealer. What is the proper way to refill and what ratio water to antifreeze? Thanks.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Just drain out some of the water and refill it with straight anti-feeze. Run the engine to FULL operating temp, let it cool and test it using one of those anti-freeze testers. Get the ratio good enough to more than satisfy and kind of temps you may see in the winter. Or you can just drain the bike of all the water, just remember to refill it next spring.

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
steves87

Drain the WW out and refill with plain water and start the bike up and let it run for 5min, then completely drain. I've always used 50/50 with no probs in sub 30 degree winter and 100 degree summers.

BD

·
Registered
5,042 Posts
I wouldnt put in regular water because of the metals etc, use distilled even though your just going to drain it back out some of that stuff will stay in the inside. Also what you can do is drain about a third of what is in your radiator now and then refill with straight anti freeze, that should give you close enough to a proper mixture shooting from the hip. You can always test it after but that should be about right, good luck.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Frank's right, do not use the water out of your sink, pick up a gallon of distilled water(not purified, or reverse osmosis, make sure it's distilled) Or, if you think you may be doing some track days in the future and don't want to deal with changing it again, you can use "Engine Ice" antifeeze, which is the 'good' (read: track friendly) coolant. It's expensive, about $25-$30/Gallon, but it's antifreeze that you can run on most racetracks, and it's 'pre-mixed', no need to add water.Just flush your radiator out and refill with Engine Ice. Unlike water wetter, E.I. will raise the boiling point and lower the freezing point so you should be good to go for winter. Just my $.10R cents

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess I first need to ask where is the drain for this located? The manual does not show where the drain plug is located.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Drain plug is lower left side of the bike(if you're sitting on it) bottom of the water pump(where the hoses go into the motor) it's a black 10mm Hex head bolt. Pull the lower fairing off and it's right in front of the shifter. it's also the only 10mm bolt, the others are 8mm and some color other than black. Gold anodized I think.

You're not going to find engine ice at wal mart or Napa, you most likely have to go to a bike shop check it:
http://www.engineice.cc/

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Once I drain the fluid, do I need to take off the upper fairing to get access to the fill cap? Do I fill with a 50/50 mixture if going with antifreeze?

·
Registered
590 Posts
gladding24 said:
Frank's right, do not use the water out of your sink, pick up a gallon of distilled water(not purified, or reverse osmosis, make sure it's distilled) Or, if you think you may be doing some track days in the future and don't want to deal with changing it again, you can use "Engine Ice" antifeeze, which is the 'good' (read: track friendly) coolant. It's expensive, about $25-$30/Gallon, but it's antifreeze that you can run on most racetracks, and it's 'pre-mixed', no need to add water.Just flush your radiator out and refill with Engine Ice. Unlike water wetter, E.I. will raise the boiling point and lower the freezing point so you should be good to go for winter. Just my $.10R cents

:+1: engine ice is what I use in all my bikes.. race bike or not.

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Hopefully he's figured this one out since he asked in october of '04. :wink:

Lots of old threads being revived lately. :dontknow:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts