Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just use more force and remove it? Or does the grip somehow fixes to the handlebar...?

And then i need to put it back on...

Maybe use some glues??

Thanks

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Cut old off with razor blade (carefully) put new on with specific grip glue.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Just change mine yesterday progrip really easy. They are available most motorcycle store, you could cut or use compressor blow it off inside and it will take off quickly or carefully cut it with the blade. Put grip glue on tip of the inside of the grip and push it in.

·
Banned
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do i need to buy new grip, if i want to change handlebar?

The original grip is one time only?

Or you mean to cut of current grip, and then glue the same one together... ?

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
easiest way is to cut off the grips, throw them in the garbage, and buy new ones. The only run like 10 - 20 dollars a pair.

·
Registered
937 Posts
+1 on cutting...

BUT...

DUDE, you dont need grip glue!!

what a waste...

Use spit inside the grip to get it on, or you can use Dawn or some type of dish soap!

Dumbest thing ever... why buy something when you can use your spit?!?

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
If you really want reuse the old grips use compressor and blow the inside of the grip this procedure wont damage the grip. But if you're asking me I would change it buy a gel grip much better grip and reduce the vibration on the handle bars especially on a long haul.

·
Registered
536 Posts
grips

+1 on the razor!1
cut off!
then boil 1 it will expand, spit inside it and slide it on.
then same to the other.
when you boils it expands and slides on easy BUT it cools quickly so do only 1 at a time. and get it on fast!!
goodluck!

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Rock_Star said:
I dont think you need to boil it, but logically it will work...
:+1:

I didn't have boil mine, slides through like she was used and abused lol because of the grip glue didn't have fight just like my old bike.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I used a small flathead screwdriver to get underneath the outter part of grip, and sprayed Windex into the part i got open, then just worked it around, until it was loose enough to come off...

then sprayed the entire inside of the new grip, and slid it on... after a few minutes, it's nice and snug... no cutting... and still have the old grips, should I want to revert back...

·
Still here
9,059 Posts
Rock_Star said:
+1 on cutting...

BUT...

DUDE, you dont need grip glue!!

what a waste...

Use spit inside the grip to get it on, or you can use Dawn or some type of dish soap!

Dumbest thing ever... why buy something when you can use your spit?!?
I find the air compressor even easier than cutting and you can reuse grip if you want.

I like grip glue- honda brand. Really just a kind of contact cement, can still use air to get grip on too.

Dish soap is a terrible idea and hair spray isn't much better (used to do hair spray on bicycles and dirt bikes) get water under there in rain and it becomes lube again.

I don't like my grips to twist much less come off in my hand as happened to me mid air on a bmx as a kid.
Sometimes I'll even safety wire the grips too.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Silent Assassin said:
I used a small flathead screwdriver to get underneath the outter part of grip, and sprayed Windex into the part i got open, then just worked it around, until it was loose enough to come off...
:+1: except I use WD-40 rather than Windex. I also wash the grips with soap and water once they're off, and then reuse them. They will go back on with some effort with just water as a lubricant (not boiled), and will tighten up just fine on the bars after a little while. Note that this method can scratch up the handlebar surface under the grip (if you really care . . . :headshake). I've done this many times over the years, including on my 10 last fall when I installed HeliBars, and I've never had to resort to using any type of glue to keep the grips snug on the bars. Your experience may differ, of course :wink:

GD

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Use blade to take it off. To put the new ones on use hairspray, but do it quickly before it dries up. Use the palm of your hand to seal the end on the grip as you push it in. This process will build air inside the grips. As the grips expand you can now slide it easily in place.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
I was thinkin' about puttin some ProGrips on mine, so this thread is quite helpful. Only problem is the 06 has 125mm grips! :headshake

I thought about getting the ProGrip 725s, and cutting out the very end, but that seems kinda lame...

Anywho, it looks like compressed air, and Honda grip glue (applied only to the inside edge of the grip) are the ticket for removing/re-applying the grips. Any special "end tooling" for the air compressor, or are you guys just using the stadard "blow gun" attachment?

D

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
BigDally said:
I was thinkin' about puttin some ProGrips on mine, so this thread is quite helpful. Only problem is the 06 has 125mm grips! :headshake

I thought about getting the ProGrip 725s, and cutting out the very end, but that seems kinda lame...

Anywho, it looks like compressed air, and Honda grip glue (applied only to the inside edge of the grip) are the ticket for removing/re-applying the grips. Any special "end tooling" for the air compressor, or are you guys just using the stadard "blow gun" attachment?

D
here try this one.......................:cool:

BD

Attachments

1 - 20 of 25 Posts