Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The title says it all. My flashlight is dead, but from what I can tell in the dark with a lighter for a flashlight, this doesn't look like an allen bolt.

How does the bar end come off?

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
I've never removed the bar ends but I've read that the factory uses some sort of thread locker and sometimes it takes an impact driver (the kind that you put a bit in and hit with a hammer to make it turn) to break 'em loose. Just FYI...

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
They look like they are placed on with brads that flange out once they are pressed on, I wasn't able to remove mine either. I would suggest calling moto911.com who sells sliders and asking about removal...then get back to us here.

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
Nah, it's just an 8mm allen like BD said... I just removed one of mine with a ratchet and 8mm allen socket just to see... Here's a pic of the end and socket...

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
Oh, and it's standard lefty loosey, righty tighty, too... :wink: No thread locker either... easy to remove...

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
yep...i took my off to with the thought of replacing them with something like a carbon/gold combo....but damn-it i can find any to fit...you see how big that fugger is? anyone find replacements yet?

·
OG Post Whore
10,400 Posts
drop the bike, those things should come off eventually

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The problem was.. I'm an idiot (big surprise, eh?).

I was expecting the bolt to be *inside* the bar end, as it is with the zx-12. The hex is actually *part* of the bar end.. it's amazing what a little sunlight can do to your perception.

It was on tight, but not *that* tight. I did notice something that smelled like airplane/modeling glue when I removed it, though there were no signs of it on the threads. Put the new one in place with just a drop of red locktite.. All better now, and I didn't even have to drop the bike. :)

·
OG Post Whore
10,400 Posts
damn you shoulda taken my advice

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
NATOR said:
Mine have been gone. Replaced with ProGrip Roadrace 780 grip and bar end kit. Saved a few ounces by doin' it! Hehe, its equal to like a 10th of a h.p.!!

Pics of yer grips and ends, please... :heyyou:

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
I know i know worthless w/o pics. I'll have to grab some closeups fer ya. There also on cal-sportbikes site, thats where i got the set from. There super wacky tacky for those WFO moments.

·
OG Post Whore
10,400 Posts
NATOR said:
I know i know worthless w/o pics. I'll have to grab some closeups fer ya. There also on cal-sportbikes site, thats where i got the set from. There super wacky tacky for those WFO moments.
even though you know i still gotta do it so you wont forget
:ttiwwop:

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
NATOR said:
Found 'em on Cal's site but the 780's look like closed end grips. Did ya have to trim the end out to allow for bar end use? :dontknow:

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
There it diablo. There open ended. Don't know why its showin' a pic with them closed. The bar ends are a small "nub" if you will made from a plastic type material. Most racebikes you look at have this setup. I really liked the "cleaned up" and smooth look the set gives the clip ons. Gives it the "racebike" look as well. Being that there quite a bit lighter than stock i thought i would feel a vibration difference but didn't.

I'll still grab some pics and put up.

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
NATOR said:
There it diablo. There open ended. Don't know why its showin' a pic with them closed. The bar ends are a small "nub" if you will made from a plastic type material. Most racebikes you look at have this setup. I really liked the "cleaned up" and smooth look the set gives the clip ons. Gives it the "racebike" look as well. Being that there quite a bit lighter than stock i thought i would feel a vibration difference but didn't.

I'll still grab some pics and put up.

Cool. Would the stock bar ends work with those grips, too?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts