Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am wondering how to remove air cleaner lower plate which seems to be fixed guite heavily to throttle body assy...???

I did not found any information from the work shop manual ?!

Is it glued ?

Attachments

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
Looks like theres clamps underneath it.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Screws ? Where

Screws...where ?

I must say that this kawa work shop manual is inaccurate for unexperienced mechanics...Yamaha 2004 shop manual was much more better...

Attachments

·
Still here
9,059 Posts
Under the plate- you can see the spots in the pic where circles are just barely shoing through the top,

That manual aint made for us- it's for certified techs:)

I think he meant under here

·
Still here
9,059 Posts
Or here

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
OK...It may be interesting to open those screws...lets see...no this is not the case !!!the screws are not there!!!

Yes - I know the manual Is made for professionals...it is sad that Haynes or Clymer has not yet released their shop manual...there are shown a lot of tricks and it is better for home mechanic...

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dreadnought

From the shop manual I got an impression that the whole assembly will be loose if removing those screws ?????

Attachments

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Amazing...does it really means that when loosen the throttle cables from the throttle assembly...it must be removed !!!If you change throttle cables - you must strip down half of the bike????

All the guys who have done 1/5th throttle conversion ??? Please confirm...

·
Registered
583 Posts
lespaul66 said:
Dreadnought

From the shop manual I got an impression that the whole assembly will be loose if removing those screws ?????
:lol: Yes I think you got it now,,, I just happen to had an allen wrench that was 18 inches long.
I don't know how to tell you any way different , but do not pry on it,,, barrow a tool and take your time. good luck btw clean bike man it looks new and never riden in the rain

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Dreadnought
Yes I think you got it now,,, I just happen to had an allen wrench that was 18 inches long.
I don't know how to tell you any way different , but do not pry on it,,, barrow a tool and take your time. good luck btw clean bike man it looks new and never riden in the rain

SHIT !!! Now I understand why some peple has claimed that Kawi is not mechanics friendly !!! All the work for two wires only !!!

Why did you not told that the plate is impossible to strip without taking the whole unit out ???

And now when you have experiense - tell us also other tricks in this matter..If You are using 18 inch allen wrench I suppose that there will be troubles also to remove and set those screws back ???

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Maybe I'm missing something here :dontknow: but I have taken mine off without taking any bolts out at all. That plate is held down
when you put the air box on and tighten down the bolts for it. It did take some work to get it off the boots and the biggest
problem was getting it back on. A bit of silicone or maybe WD seems to work good.
Let us know

·
Registered
583 Posts
Lespaul66 man I'm sorry I"v had my two grandkids playing with me while trying to watch this. If you just want to remove the base plate then a short wrench will work. use a mirror to spot the allen screws. if your going to remove the Throttle body then you have to have a long wrench and go through the frame. Your camera takes good pic's and if you do remove the t/b would you take a pic of you your intake port and post or p/m thanks.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Maybe I'm missing something here but I have taken mine off without taking any bolts out at all. That plate is held down
when you put the air box on and tighten down the bolts for it. It did take some work to get it off the boots and the biggest
problem was getting it back on. A bit of silicone or maybe WD seems to work good.
Let us know

I suspected first that the plate is glued or something...I dont understand why the bottom plate will not rise up when pulling gently...if there is silicone or something and tight fit it explains a lot...I want to be sure before cracking the part...

But it seems also that there are different kind of information...one guy is saying, disassemble the whole unit...and an other has done the work just pulling it up...

Please confirm

Thank You !!!

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
After further thought I can say that when I took my airbox out and was adjusting the secondary throttle adjustment; I think that is what it is called when you install Ivans TRE and a PC with his map and so and on...I took off the plate just pulling it off. I have an 04 if that makes any difference. ??????

·
Registered
583 Posts
morrisjl2 said:
After further thought I can say that when I took my airbox out and was adjusting the secondary throttle adjustment; I think that is what it is called when you install Ivans TRE and a PC with his map and so and on...I took off the plate just pulling it off. I have an 04 if that makes any difference. ??????
:eyecrazy: think he has pulled on it and something told him to ash for help. Finesse go's a long way when working on this bikes..or our ole ladies....

·
Supercharged Mod
4,392 Posts
If you are removing the entire throttle body (for example, to get access to valve adjustment) it is not necessary to remove the airbox lower plate from the throttle bodies. Disconnect whatever electrical connectors you can, then loosen the clamp screws through the access holes in the frame, then lift the entire throttle body assembly together with the airbox bottom plate up a little, then separate the rest of the electrical connectors once there is some room to work. Also, it isn't necessary to disconnect the throttle cables at the throttle body end. Disconnect them at the top (at the handgrip - it's easy), and then when you remove the throttle body assembly from the bike, pull the throttle cables through while still attached to the throttle body assembly.

I have not tried separating the airbox lower plate from the throttle bodies.

This bike is NOT easy to work on. None of the newer sportbikes are. They are designed to go down the assembly line easily, they are not designed to be serviced afterward. The disadvantage of this "mass centralization" theme that everyone is promoting, is that all the mechanical components end up crammed together in a very small package in the middle of the bike, with no room to stick a finger in anywhere.

If you drop a screw or a washer while re-assembling the rest of the bike (for example, one of the spacers at the front attachment points for the fuel tank), it will not fall out the bottom, and there will be no way to reach it or even SEE it, and this is after a couple hours of putting the bike back together. Do NOT ask how I know this!

(Yeah, it's still in there somewhere.)

·
Registered
583 Posts
GoFaster said:
If you are removing the entire throttle body (for example, to get access to valve adjustment) it is not necessary to remove the airbox lower plate from the throttle bodies. Disconnect whatever electrical connectors you can, then loosen the clamp screws through the access holes in the frame, then lift the entire throttle body assembly together with the airbox bottom plate up a little, then separate the rest of the electrical connectors once there is some room to work. Also, it isn't necessary to disconnect the throttle cables at the throttle body end. Disconnect them at the top (at the handgrip - it's easy), and then when you remove the throttle body assembly from the bike, pull the throttle cables through while still attached to the throttle body assembly.

I have not tried separating the airbox lower plate from the throttle bodies.

This bike is NOT easy to work on. None of the newer sportbikes are. They are designed to go down the assembly line easily, they are not designed to be serviced afterward. The disadvantage of this "mass centralization" theme that everyone is promoting, is that all the mechanical components end up crammed together in a very small package in the middle of the bike, with no room to stick a finger in anywhere.

If you drop a screw or a washer while re-assembling the rest of the bike (for example, one of the spacers at the front attachment points for the fuel tank), it will not fall out the bottom, and there will be no way to reach it or even SEE it, and this is after a couple hours of putting the bike back together. Do NOT ask how I know this!

(Yeah, it's still in there somewhere.)
:+1: While pulling the cam bearing caps off (with the loose bolts in place) a dowel pin was stuck, I pulled up hard with my fingers and it came free sending two of the cam cap bolts out one landing on the shop floor the other went down the left frame tube(lol) it was a real mother "f" to get out. it took me about 3 hrs to figure out where the bolt was at and "how" to get it out~liveing and learning at 50 (priceless) Hope Lespaul66 doesn't pry it off~~~ :lol:

1 - 20 of 43 Posts