Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

in the past i saw some rebulided headslights on a 10r - i think it called "angel eyes". could somebody tell me how can I open the light without to destroy it? i tried it with a very small cutting disc, but it was'nt successful :sad:

I'm curious about your suggestion ... :smile:

Greetz from Frankfurt, Germany! :hello:

Bye TOX!

·
MIA Ex-Mod
3,051 Posts
If memory serves me right, I believe members put the headlight assembly into the preheated oven at like 200-210f for like 10 mins to soften the sticky stuff holding the lenses onto the back.

Tread

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
As far as I know, you disassemble everything you can from the headlights, then put the rest in the oven (not sure on the exact temp setting) then take it out once the glue that holds the headlight together is softened and stick a flat head screwdriver in the sections that are glued to take it apart.

However don't quote me on this cause the above information explains how it's done on subaru cars, not sure if same method is needed for the 10r.

·
Green Hippie
17,566 Posts
I used a heat gun and a couple of old butter knives but it still was'nt pretty:headshake

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
in the oven? that sounds dangerous. i think its better to heat only the glued part of the light. for sure, it needs a bit more patience, but i hope the result is the same. :smile: tommorow I will look for a "hot air pistol" (is this the right english name for this ) i'm afraid that the light can be warping in the oven

I'm still open for any constructive suggestions! :mrgreen:

·
Green Hippie
17,566 Posts
in the oven? that sounds dangerous. i think its better to heat only the glued part of the light. for sure, it needs a bit more patience, but i hope the result is the same. :smile: tommorow I will look for a "hot air pistol" (is this the right english name for this ) i'm afraid that the light can be warping in the oven

I'm still open for any constructive suggestions! :mrgreen:
heat gun /hot air pistol we know what ya mean:thumbsup: be careful with that heat gun it gets real hot real quick. keep it moving , do'nt let it sit in one spot too long it will melt your plastic:violent5:

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Doing it in the oven would be safer, easier and would take less time imo. First of all you wouldn't have to worry about not burning anything and moving the heatgun constantly. Plus by the time you are finished with one part the other part would be cold. Whereas the oven would loosen up all the sticky parts at once.

Whenever you see a subaru wrx with clear blinkers you know the headlight been in the oven.

·
OMG Look at that squid!!
2,595 Posts
I hear the low temp oven method is the tricky...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts