Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone have a how to on replacing fork seals and what is needed. Thanks for the help in advance.

·
Chickenstrip Eater
4,075 Posts
Take it to a good shop unless you have or want to invest in special, job specific tools. Believe me. I learned the hard way.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I read a lot of other posts that said you didnt need the tools. I could have miss read it but that is basically what every fork seal thread is on.

·
Chickenstrip Eater
4,075 Posts
OK. I'm trying to save you some frustration and damaged parts. Do any of those threads give a how to? Doubt it.You'll need a seal driver which ya can improvise and you'll need a cartridge fork tool which is a very necesary tool that's not easily duplicated with duct tape and bailing wire.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Dido, not worth the frustration. This is one job, that unless you have the right tools, don't attempt. A decent shop will charge you under $200.00 to replace the seals. Not bad really. Buy the type/kind of seals you want and take to shop. Parts are cheap at least. Labor is the only real cost. Peace :cool:

·
Retired post whore
8,463 Posts
OK. I'm trying to save you some frustration and damaged parts. Do any of those threads give a how to? Doubt it.You'll need a seal driver which ya can improvise and you'll need a cartridge fork tool which is a very necesary tool that's not easily duplicated with duct tape and bailing wire.
:+1:

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Ok Calvin. I'll give you the answer you want to hear...

To do your fork seals you are going to NEED about $200 worth of special tools. That is a fact. you are also going to NEED about $25-$35 worth of parts. You are also going to NEED a copy of the shop manual.

I just had my seals redone a couple of months ago. I took the forks OFF THE BIKE and took them in, where they sat behind the parts counter for nearly 2 weeks before they shop guys got around to them. So 2 weeks and i think $250 later, I had my fork seals replaced, and my fork caps fucked up where they opened them with a crescent wrench or Gator-grip or some damn thing.... That will not happen again.

Next time, I will order $250 worth of parts and tools and do the damn seals myself, not have to wait on a shop, know they are done right, and have new tools AND new seals when i am done. So the NEXT time I need them done, I will only have to pay for the seals.... you follow me?

NO it's not a hard job to do.....IF you have the right tools and you are mechanically inclined and can follow directions. If this does not describe you... I would just take it to the shop.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
You can do it with out special tools.... There is a way, I do them in my garage with just standard tools....

But if your not a mechanic I would suggest taking them some where, even the way I do them may be a little difficult if your not really careful at what your doing....

There is a few short cuts you can take and it makes it simple, well I think so, but i'm a mechanic.... Every time I try to explain something, people say its to difficult.... :dontknow:

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok Calvin. I'll give you the answer you want to hear...

To do your fork seals you are going to NEED about $200 worth of special tools. That is a fact. you are also going to NEED about $25-$35 worth of parts. You are also going to NEED a copy of the shop manual.

I just had my seals redone a couple of months ago. I took the forks OFF THE BIKE and took them in, where they sat behind the parts counter for nearly 2 weeks before they shop guys got around to them. So 2 weeks and i think $250 later, I had my fork seals replaced, and my fork caps fucked up where they opened them with a crescent wrench or Gator-grip or some damn thing.... That will not happen again.

Next time, I will order $250 worth of parts and tools and do the damn seals myself, not have to wait on a shop, know they are done right, and have new tools AND new seals when i am done. So the NEXT time I need them done, I will only have to pay for the seals.... you follow me?

NO it's not a hard job to do.....IF you have the right tools and you are mechanically inclined and can follow directions. If this does not describe you... I would just take it to the shop.
Heres the thing. I went to a kawi shop and asked them they said $230 PLUS parts. So i figure if i spend 150-200 on the tools and get it done myself when one of my friends need theres done i could help them out for a small fee. I actually thought of just buying a secound set of forks off ebay as the pair i was biiding on went for $180 shipped so. I guess i will just look around and see if i can find someone to do it a little cheaper.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts