Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

How to make my exhaust louder?

11K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  appocalypse 
#1 ·
I have a zx10r 2005 which has a Akrapovic shorty slip on exhaust, but i am not satisfied with the sound. I want it louder.

Please give me ideas as to how i should go about it without buying a new exhaust.

I heard from a friend that i could do something with the packing to make it louder.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

#4 ·
Shorten the can or gut it out and remove the packing. Other than that get a different slip on.

#7 ·
Correct me if I'm wrong... But I have always been under the impression that removing the packing hurts performance? I also have been under the impression that shortening an exhaust will hurt performance (less back pressure)

#8 ·
Oh yeah, to an extent you are correct. But we are only talking a slip on and unless he runs hard at track or drag strip he wont really notice the difference. Probably wants the bike louder so it has that growl.

#9 ·
Oh absolutely.. I'm not by any means attacking, just trying to become more knowledgeable.

I also have another question.. When shortening the can, the metal inside the can, does it play a role in performance? Per say, a short short can with the metal trimmed to fit it, then putting a larger piece of the can back on and still having the shorter piece of the metal inside of it?

Also, what is the main purpose of the packing? What are some issues that come with less packing/no packing inside a normal functioning can?

#10 ·
Did somebody say "LOUD" , that's up my SPECIALTY!!:lol: All my exhaust are loud, it has to be...that's the way I like it..YES, I'm the guy you hate when your in a deep sleep and I just happen to ride by.........about 2 blocks from your window!!:crackup::spit:

Attachments

#11 ·
^That's got to be the shortest akra in existence. I believe the packing in necessary to protect the carbon fiber, but also reduces the noise.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.