Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I just installed the Hindle Race system, it's a titanium system, I don't know if that has to do with anything but it gets pretty damn hot, and due to the closeness to my rear brake master cylinder it makes the rear brake feel very touchy. I was looking to get the mid-pipe and canister powder coated black, but was wondering if there was any form of black coating I could use that would also be effective at cutting down the radiating heat without looking crappy... kill two birds with one stone so to speak.

·
Guilty by association
8,751 Posts
I dont know how you feel about header wrap, but you can get it in black and its probably the best way to isolate head in your exhaust manifold. some people dont like the way it looks though and you said your particular about aesthetics.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I dont know how you feel about header wrap, but you can get it in black and its probably the best way to isolate head in your exhaust manifold. some people dont like the way it looks though and you said your particular about aesthetics.
I actually love the look of heat wrap, but I don't think it would look right in this situation. The funny thing is, I bought the exhaust used, and in the pics of the exhaust on his bike he had a small bit of heat wrap at that location and I couldn't figure out why :lol: I just didn't know if the powdercoating alone could knock down some of the heat.

·
inappropriate
7,728 Posts
or even better than powder, ceramic. if you use a wrap make sure your system isnt titanium because wrap is corrosive to ti.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
or even better than powder, ceramic. if you use a wrap make sure your system isnt titanium because wrap is corrosive to ti.
oh, mines ti, so good looking out on that.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Don't use header wrap on a ti pipe ; I've heard that the ti can't handle the trapped heat, and soon reduces to powdery flakes. Never seen it for myself, but try it at your peril.

Cheers,
Brian

·
Registered
798 Posts
a well bent piece of aluminum can do wonders just ask my top mount intercooler

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I rode it around town today, and it wasn't actually as big of a problem as I initally thought, I still plan to powdercoat it though, if that knocks down the heat then good, if not then it's ok.

·
Custom Powder Coater
6,556 Posts
I rode it around town today, and it wasn't actually as big of a problem as I initally thought, I still plan to powdercoat it though, if that knocks down the heat then good, if not then it's ok.
The powder will Not do anything for the heat but it will make it look alot better, also depending on what your coating headers,mid-pipe, you will need high temp powder. and it does not resist scratches like normal powder does,IT WILL scratch and road debri will remove it. Now if your doing just the canister reg. powder will work fine and you should have no prob. what so ever..

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am new here, and just bought an 05 zx-10. I was thinking about doing header wrap myself, and now that I know the Ti doesn't like it I have a question. If you were to powdercoat your pipe, and then wrap it, would the powdercoat isolate the metal from the wrap? I know it seems like overkill, but the powder would make it look nice, and last longer, then the wrap would cut down on a lot of heat. Plus wrap is cheap.

·
inappropriate
7,728 Posts
Don't use header wrap on a ti pipe ; I've heard that the ti can't handle the trapped heat, and soon reduces to powdery flakes. Never seen it for myself, but try it at your peril.

Cheers,
Brian
read the post above yours!:heyyou:

I am new here, and just bought an 05 zx-10. I was thinking about doing header wrap myself, and now that I know the Ti doesn't like it I have a question. If you were to powdercoat your pipe, and then wrap it, would the powdercoat isolate the metal from the wrap? I know it seems like overkill, but the powder would make it look nice, and last longer, then the wrap would cut down on a lot of heat. Plus wrap is cheap.
i think a ceramic coat plus a quality wrap, which will run you, will surely do the job.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
+1 on the ceramic coat. that is the way to go, keeps heat inside the pipe and lets the exhaust gases flow easier. i believe there is a place the does black ceramic coatings. i believe its jethot. that way you could avoid the ugly ace bandage. and powder coating is about the same as painting, as far as heat retention.

·
Registered
567 Posts
mine is ceramic coated and it helps a little. make sure they spray inside and outside the pipe. local shop in missouri did it for around $100 from header to muffler with a 2 week turn around including shipping.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts