Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so im gonna be going to the track here real soon and was wondering if ya experts wouldnt mind giving me a little advice on how to get her down the track, its not my first time down the track on a bike but first time on a 1k and stretched down the track

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
We launch mine around 10000rpm....Seat time will help you out the most...dont go out there and try top set the world on fire...get used to the bike and the launch, then get more aggressive on the launch...seat time seat time seat time...

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
+1 on seat time. i would start at 8k and launch from there while slipping the clutch and feedin it gas at the same time so you want experience bogin. hit your shift points and have fun.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok sweet, i had a swb 08 600 i took to the track a bunch so ive been down it before, just every time i try to launch on the street on my 10, it either bakes tire or bogs hard

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
ok sweet, i had a swb 08 600 i took to the track a bunch so ive been down it before, just every time i try to launch on the street on my 10, it either bakes tire or bogs hard

Because your on the STREET, if I try launching on the street I smoke the tire instantly... race track will be sticky... you shouldn't bog at all on the street, just smoke the tire... go to the track rev it to 8500 slide the clutch, start out by feeding it throttle and work up to where you are pinning the throttle as soon as you feel the bike move. Once you are comfortable pinning the throttle, start sliding the clutch faster and faster, until it bogs or wheelies.

If it wheelies back down on your rpms, if it bogs raise your rpms by 500 and repeat, still bogs raise another 500 rpm....

Practice practice and practice some more, everyone has there own style of launching, you want to control the bike with the CLUTCH, once you find a good baseline, start tweaking a little and see what improves and what doesn't.

TAKE NOTES, of what works and what doesn't. Granted at first you will be to occupied with just getting down the track.

TAKE MORE NOTES, keep track of 60' and 330' times, along with how long clutches are lasting. If you can get the same 60 and 330 launching at 7500 as you can launching at 10000 rpm, but the clutch is lasting twice as long at 7500 rpm, there is no need to launch at 10 grand.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
that is a great help, ima set up a note pad now and start recording data, and im gonna try to be smoother with the clutch i think that may be a problem, also the fact im trying to launch at like 4k rpms lol

·
^^No Bike Bum^^
2,138 Posts
lower your tire pressure a bit too.. it will help with the tire breaking loose... launch at 9-10k and work that clutch...

and as stated so many times before.... seat time is gonna be the key!!

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yea i was gonna hit the track tonight but wasnt able to, so i need to get out there soon and give it a try with raising my rpms

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well tried some launching today on a well known street race site, where cars dead hook, i heated the tire a little and gave it a try, it gets moving good but bogs hard once clutch is out, so i tried slipping little more while giving more gas, same thing, tried again same thing, my tire didnt spin at all.....so im thinking maybe its the fact im still at stock gearing??

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
well tried some launching today on a well known street race site, where cars dead hook, i heated the tire a little and gave it a try, it gets moving good but bogs hard once clutch is out, so i tried slipping little more while giving more gas, same thing, tried again same thing, my tire didnt spin at all.....so im thinking maybe its the fact im still at stock gearing??
wat rpms was you launching at ? remember the 1st gens have a LONG 1st gear so you will need to get them rpms up there to get you and the bike movin.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Are you waiting till the clutch is out to get it full throttle? You should be full throttle before the clutch is all the way out.. gearing it would help... but I don't think its your only problem. It takes a lot of practice, and you really need to be at the track to look at your 60' times.... I have people tell me they have practiced on the street and are "excellent" at launching it. But get to the strip and are 60'ing 2.10s... what feels fast on the street may actually be really slow at the track. If your not spinning the tire on the street you are NOT launching hard. When you get to the track its so sticky your feet actually stick to the pavement

·
Registered
860 Posts
Stock gearing you're really gonna have to keep it revvin. The bike will actually bog worse stretched than swb with stock gearing.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yea honestly it felt slow on the street today, and yes i was feeding it gas as i slipped the clutch, i was just on way home from work and figured to give it a go, i think my clutch might be slipping but im not sure. i figured it would have spun with how hard i felt i was launching, maybe i just need to grow a pair and give it some more

·
Registered
860 Posts
Just keep pushin it a little harder each time.
Shoot for something like the beginning of this...

Definitely not the end of it though lmfao

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i wish i was leaving that hard, i really need to get to the track to get some numbers to see how im doing and my improvments....but i also will be able to feel a difference on the street once i figure it out i would imagine

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
after watching these videos, i think im slipping the clutch to slow, i feel like im riding the clutch to much and maybe not enough gas, it should break tire loose before it bogs right??

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
On the street.... simple answer is yes. Best way to tell how your launches are is go to the track and see how your 60' are.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
so if im bogging on the street im not going at it hard enough?? i need to get a set of leathers before i can go to the track so not sure how long that will be, guess i just need to practice practice practice

1 - 20 of 28 Posts