Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I've seen a lot of hack-jobs on this exhaust for the 06-07 ZX10R. However for very little $$$ it can look and sound a lot better! Follow these easy steps and you'll have a exhaust that sounds good (no exhaust leaks!) and looks like an actual GP product. For those interested www.smfcycles.com and for 585 you can get the same exhaust.

Step 1:
Fully weld the exhaust! Fit it up and mark it, get it welded tight (mid-pipe to y-pipe to 2 megaphones) and this will cure the exhaust leaking and sounding a little off-tune.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Step 2:
Ditch the stock bracket! It looks like hell and the mounting looks even worse! Cut off the top portion and weld it to the backside so you can mount it underneath so its hidden. It will make the exhaust as solid as a rock! Plus clean up the god damn eyesore

Attachments

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Step 5:
Mount it up! I still use one of the stock clamps but its hidden behind the bodywork. I may weld on some wires so I can use exhaust springs but we'll see. Attached the 10mm bolt to the factory location as shown and BAM! You now have a good looking exhaust that sounds just as good as it looks. FYI I'll be custom making a swingarm "stiffener" bracket in leiu of the stock one. PM me if your intersted!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
Great write up, any info on where to get that Arrow cat eliminator...I'm not sure yet if I need one for my upcoming Racefit or not...

Thanks for posting up the "How to"...

Also...did you trim your brace or are you just not mounting it back on?

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I found my arrow on E-bay, I can't find a dealer that imports this part. I know a couple others are looking for them too, don't know about their luck.

I trimmed the supplied brace and welded it back on for a bracket. This setup is as solid as a rock, hell I bet you could stand on it! :lol:

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
I found my arrow on E-bay, I can't find a dealer that imports this part. I know a couple others are looking for them too, don't know about their luck.

I trimmed the supplied brace and welded it back on for a bracket. This setup is as solid as a rock, hell I bet you could stand on it! :lol:

You welded the swingarm brace back onto the bike?

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
^^^Sorry, I ditch it because it doesn't do anything, its too flimsy and its bent so it doesn't provide any stiffening. I'm going to make a stronger one out of straight aluminum that clears the exhaust.

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
^^^Sorry, I ditch it because it doesn't do anything, its too flimsy and its bent so it doesn't provide any stiffening. I'm going to make a stronger one out of straight aluminum that clears the exhaust.
Gotcha...I think I just have to trim the bottom off so I'll do it with a saw as to not weaken it with heat...

Once again, thanks for the info!:cool:

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nice write-up, too bad you have to "custom fit" a product that is suppose to fit correctly to begin with.
For the price I paid it should have been a little better quality. But my buddies a welder/fab guy so it didn't cost me anything but time to get it right. However, I love the look so it was all worth it IMHO :cool:

·
Registered
228 Posts
I've been hearing a lot of misconceptions about this pipe lately. So couple of points (not that I'm biased or anything) :mrgreen:

First off - Good write up Konichd :hello:. I moded a harley P-clamp to hold my pipes at the same spot. But I like what you did. I had thought about that too, but wasn't in the mood to drag the bike to a muffler shop. But seeing how much cleaner it is with the welded bracket I may just do that later on & also have it welded at the pipes-Ypipe connection. I was also thinking about painting mine black, as the whole bottom of my bike is black already.

...too bad you have to "custom fit" a product that is suppose to fit correctly to begin with.
I disagree with that. I think it was purposely left unwelded b/c this pipe is being marketed to several different makes & models. And even within the same make and model, I may want the pipes to point at a different angle and be positioned differently than Konichd has his pipes set. Prewelding the pipe will make everyone have to live with the same position/angle.

As far as the rips on the way the pipe sounds...:fu2: I think it sounds fine...It's pretty subjective, eg, listening to the muzzy clips - I had to do a double take to make sure I wasn't watching a clip of one of those scooters with the little gas engines. But some people rave over how good that pipe sounds :dontknow:

and for those that keep saying it's as loud as the Boz bros :thefinger. I doubt this pipe is as loud as the Boz bros. This pipe actually have metal baffles & db inserts at the end (I took the db insert on the top pipe off to make it a bit louder though). I believe from previous threads the Boz bro is basically a straight pipe deal with no baffles and a "db insert" that does nothing (correct me if I'm wrong).

1 - 20 of 37 Posts