Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
The Movie Goer!
6,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My fuel pump just went out couple weeks ago and it was kind of a bitch to remove from the tank! I just ordered a new one an was wondering if there was a special way to put the new one in without forcing it an possibly damaging it?:dontknow:

·
Gen2 Ripper
4,867 Posts
I never had to do it yet. The PDF manual is no help?

·
The Movie Goer!
6,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
825 Posts
Easy job, although your tank needs to be virtually empty.

1. Remove LH side cover
  2. Unplug electrical socket that leads to the pump
  3. Remove RH side cover
  4. Remove seat
  5. Remove steering damper
  6. Lift tank up, and support it so you can get access to the fuel hose
  7. Undo hose from pump end (refer to manual for this part)
  8. Unplug hose from pump body
  9. Remove support, lower tank back into place
  10. Undo rear mount bolts
  11. Remove tank, and flip over
  12. Undo the 5 (?) bolts and carefully withdraw the fuel pump
Installation is simply the reverse.

Cheers,
Brian

·
Registered
825 Posts
Sorry, just re-read your question and realised I didn't really answer it ... No, there's nothing difficult about putting it back in, just make sure that the outlet is correctly oriented to the fuel hose.

Apologies,
Brian

·
The Movie Goer!
6,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea but is there a special way to put it in there without damagin it? It's a really tight fit! And when I took the told one out I basically had to almost rip it out. I was just hopin I could put the new one back in without forcing it an risk damaging it? I just thought maybe there was a special way or technique to take it out or put it in that I didn't know about?:dontknow:

Sorry, just re-read your question and realised I didn't really answer it ... No, there's nothing difficult about putting it back in, just make sure that the outlet is correctly oriented to the fuel hose.

Apologies,
Brian

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Zig, it's a lil bit of a tight fit but i just twist it around...i couldn't find any special way and I've removed mine about 4 or 5 times. no damage to it at all. To be honest I just shove it in there no delicate touches. you'll be fine don't worry about it.

·
The Movie Goer!
6,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The new one went in surprisingly smooth! No issues! Did your's go bad on you too, that you had to remove it that many times?:dontknow:

Zig, it's a lil bit of a tight fit but i just twist it around...i couldn't find any special way and I've removed mine about 4 or 5 times. no damage to it at all. To be honest I just shove it in there no delicate touches. you'll be fine don't worry about it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I just got done swapping mine out also...and was wondering the same thing about taking it out. Glad to know it wasnt just me...lol. New one went in without any issues.

·
The Movie Goer!
6,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It was kinda rough gettin it out wasn't it? :badteeth: And the new one went in smooth! What happened with yours? It stopped working? Did you get a brand new one or a used one? :dontknow:

I just got done swapping mine out also...and was wondering the same thing about taking it out. Glad to know it wasnt just me...lol. New one went in without any issues.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Just replaced mine, but gas is leaking from the screws. Tighten it, but was I supposed to put something on the screws...? Threadlocker or something?

·
The Movie Goer!
6,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Did you put a new rubber O-ring on when you replaced the the pump? :dontknow: B/c when I ordered my new pump they said it's good to put a new o-ring on b/c it's a chance that it could start leakin? It sounded like they were just tryin to squeeze a couple extra bucks outta me? But then they had me worrying that it would start leakin so I just went ahead an ordered a new o-ring. B/c I would've been pissed to get it all back together an then to have it leak gas! When I put my bolts back in I didn't put any locktite or anything else on them b/c they still had some already on! So I just put them back in an tightend them pretty good! I'm surprised your fuel pump went out already? You have a 3rd gen right?

Just replaced mine, but gas is leaking from the screws. Tighten it, but was I supposed to put something on the screws...? Threadlocker or something?

·
Registered
33 Posts
It was kinda rough gettin it out wasn't it? :badteeth: And the new one went in smooth! What happened with yours? It stopped working? Did you get a brand new one or a used one? :dontknow:
Yeh mine crapped out while riding, worst part is that it didnt give any kind of symptom or hint that it was failing. I went with a used one, cuz at the time i wasnt certain it was the pump, didnt want to shell out that much $$ and it not solve the problem.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Did you put a new rubber O-ring on when you replaced the the pump? :dontknow: B/c when I ordered my new pump they said it's good to put a new o-ring on b/c it's a chance that it could start leakin? It sounded like they were just tryin to squeeze a couple extra bucks outta me? But then they had me worrying that it would start leakin so I just went ahead an ordered a new o-ring. B/c I would've been pissed to get it all back together an then to have it leak gas! When I put my bolts back in I didn't put any locktite or anything else on them b/c they still had some already on! So I just put them back in an tightend them pretty good! I'm surprised your fuel pump went out already? You have a 3rd gen right?
Naw, didn't go out. I just had to replace my tank(laid it down) and put a new one on and leaks a little. Never knew about the o-ring. And sorry for thread jacking!!!

·
The Movie Goer!
6,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yea mine didn't really give me any signs either! I mean I remember leavin this job interview I had an I kinda got on it in 1st gear and it like kinda hesitated then jerked an took off! In my head I was like wtf was that all about? :dontknow: Then I rode a few miles an everything seemed fine? I stopped at this walmart shopped around for a lil while came back out an my girl didn't wanna start! That was it for her! I was a good 20miles away from home too! :headshake

Yeh mine crapped out while riding, worst part is that it didnt give any kind of symptom or hint that it was failing. I went with a used one, cuz at the time i wasnt certain it was the pump, didnt want to shell out that much $$ and it not solve the problem.

·
The Movie Goer!
6,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ohh ok no problem! Did you get it to stop leaking yet?

Naw, didn't go out. I just had to replace my tank(laid it down) and put a new one on and leaks a little. Never knew about the o-ring. And sorry for thread jacking!!!

·
Registered
29 Posts
I would recommend a new o-ring every time.. and part of the installation is starting the bike and inspecting for leaks before putting it all back together.

If there are any leaks.. don't ride it!!

You can re-use the o-ring, but at the very least give it a thorough inspection to make sure it isn't cracked/damaged and fits properly.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
took mine out last night and put back in when draining the water from the tank {don't ask, :eyecrazy: lol} and mine was easy to take out and put back in :dontknow:...I just kinda twisted it around a lil and it slid right in

1 - 19 of 19 Posts