Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

How to install Gilles chain adjustors?

1K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  ripper 
#1 ·
So I recieved my gilles chain adjustors yesterday but the instructions are all in German! Anyone have some pics or be able to tell me how to install these? I do not plan on using the GP stands either. It looks like I just have to replace the stock bolt adjustor and screw in the gilles? I see something about drillling the swingarm but I'm not a big fan of this. I'm hoping I can just replace the adjustor bolt and slide the axle through?

Holy shit I'm a idiot:badteeth:

#3 ·
from all the pics ive seen they looked pretty straightfoward. i thought you just replaced that axle collar, bolt, and nuts with the gilles pieces. i didnt think you reused any stock parts except the nut the axle screws into. let us know how it goes, good luck.

#10 ·
Heres one before I had the lifters, the order on the back two bolts is bolt, lock nut, mounting tab, with the lock nut snugged up agaist the tab. Yo udo NOT want to put a lot of torque on those back two botls, and you want the tab square wtih the swingarm, not cock eyed on it.And remember washer in between adjuster and swingarm on the front bolt, that spaces the adjuster back just a little so the tab plates sit flush.

#11 ·
Damn thats a clean wheel, but whats new with you?

Me thinks the original design called for drilling and taping and the option is still there. Then they realized most people don't want to drill and tap so they came up with this crummy tab mounts.

The big bag full of bolts apparenlty covers all applications so you get a bunch of extra bolts not needed.

Actually I don't think you need to do either (drill and tap or use the tabs) as long as you are NOT using the GP lifters.

I'm not a big fan of these Gilles Adjusters and YES I like bling as much as the next person.

I bought some, looked em over and decided I wasnt impressed with the engineering and sold mine while still new in the box.

But Hey, don't let me rain on your parade. I don't think their dangerous unless you use the GP lifters and don't drill and tap or use the funky tabs. Then your bike could fall off its stand with some side motion or twisting when the adjuster pops out of the slot after the rear axel is removed for changing tires or whatever. Picturte that in your mind. I did.

I would not drill and tap, and feel the way the end of the swingarm is machined didn't lend well to the funky tabs being that effiecent of a mount.

JJ

#12 ·
JJ< is correct with all that, I just wanted to give you the condensed version. Too much to think about, lol. Yeah I could not see drilling and tapping a swingarm, and they are a 100% bling mod, they do not work bettter than the stock adjusting system, if anything they work worse, but they do look super cool tits, lol. I have had a couple of issues with them comming loose so keep a eye on your stension, what I do now is once the axle is tight I give the adjusting bolts a 1/2 turn extra or so of preload, you wil see where once you tighten the axle nut the adjssters screws have a little play in them, like JJ said not a great design. I als use some red loctight on the adjuster screw threads, they work pretty good if you follow those two steps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.