Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is my first how to, and my first alarm install so bear with me.
Step 1: Lay out all the alarm components, read all the instructions two times. I bought the Scorpio SR-i500 w/perimeter sensor (remote disable, but I'm not installing it yet) and ZX10R wiring adapter. The pic show the alarm layed out on the garage floor. The red X's are the wiring adapters that are NOT needed for the '05 ZX10R.

Step 2: Determine where the alarm MCU and antenae are to be located. I never use the trunk anyway and figured it is about as good a spot as any. I used velcro to mount the MCU, then routed the antenae along the top upper edge of the taillight housing and taped it in place. The green lines in the pic are where the antenae was routed and taped.

Step 3: Attach the hot wire to the battery (+) terminal, then attach the ZX10R specific wiring adapter into the tail light connectors and into the taillight power. These are pass thru connections and it's pretty easy to figure out what plugs into what. The orange connectors are for the turn signals, the black is the power/ground to the tailight, the green goes to the alarm MCU harness.

Step 4: Locate the perimeter sensor. I put it next to the seat mounting bolt and attached it with velcro. Plug it into the MCU with the included harness.

Step 5: Tuck all the wiring away in the tail section. Zip tie any stray wires. Re-install all your plastic and seat. Follow the easy steps to program the remote and set all the sensors and your done.
Total install time was about an hour, and no special tools needed.

I may lose my image hosting soon. So if anyone can mirror these images and link to them that would be great.
Thanks.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Nice write up. Damn I wish I would have went this route. My insurance company would not insure me(kick ass rate) if I did not install a certified alarm by a certified installer. I went with a Viper and they spliced wires and all kinds of bullshit so now I'm always wondering when the electrical system will act up. I'd like to just rip it all out and be done with it. I should have purchased the Scorpio and had it installed by a shop to satisfy the ins and that way i could remove it easily when trade in or selling time arrives. I sure hope it is a selling point and not a hindrance.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I haven't really played with it much yet, but install and setup were a breeze.
All the sensors work as advertised, shock, tilt, and perimeter.
I'll post an update after I use it in the real world for a month or so.

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
yea i am a mecp cert. installer the ten is VERY finicy as to what you tap into. i got the remote start alarm off ebay BTW that thing is nice. FYI the perimiter sencor will give you some trouble in about 6 months. figure out witch wires are the trigger and install a siple mercury tilt switch {radio shack about $5} these things are almost fool proof and will always work.

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
oh sorry just saw you did say tilt so it has a mercury tilt

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
hey just noticed something. hey jody want some free hp?

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
bingo!

·
Still here
9,059 Posts
Had my scorpio since Jan.
No problems.

It is easy to arm without the proximity sensor anyway. Just push a different button.

That's a nice, clean install, I Mounted mine under the seat to keep the trunk.
The brain doesn't have to lay flat, can be on it's side.

Oh yeah- you can upload your pics directly to the thread, no hosting needed.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Bit of advice put the MCU under the seat. The trunk is easy to get into and pull out the speaker and destory the transmitter. It's difficult to get to it under the seat.

Just my $.02

BTW I love the alarm. Money well spent.

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
oh yea sorry
Great job on getting a alarm helping my insurence go down!

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I thought about that.
But think about it this way.
If they are serious enough about ripping the rear seat off to kill the alarm, then they are serious enough to rip the riders seat off as well. Face it, if they aren't scared off by the initial alarm, then another 5 sec. isn't going to stop them either.

evander said:
Bit of advice put the MCU under the seat. The trunk is easy to get into and pull out the speaker and destory the transmitter. It's difficult to get to it under the seat.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Nice write up JodyH :thumbsup: . with all this talk about alarms I've been thinking of getting one myself especially before bikeweek.

·
Still here
9,059 Posts
I like my alarm but I take my 900rr to bike week. Too much sitting in traffic and too many bike trailers around.

Nothing like being able to walk away from your bike and not care too much.

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
You really shouldn't give theives such sensitive info. I don't want crooks to know shit about how to install an alarm on a zx10r.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Are you serious?
You really think that a motorcycle alarm is such rocket science that your typical 13 year old hoodlum doesn't know how one is installed?
Duhhh..... power to a self contained alarm..... paging NASA..... I can't figure this out.
Hell, the install manuals are online at every alarm manufacturers web site.
:bitchslap

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
But now everybody knows exactly where you put everything, Einstein. Not too brilliant if you ask me.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
:rolleyes:
Like there are a whole lot of choices on a ZX10R?
Lemme see, under the riders seat or under the passenger seat.....
Yup, out of choices now.
Face it, if they aren't scared off by the initial perimeter alarm or the shock/tilt alarm, then they are serious about stealing the bike and nothing is going to stop them. All an alarm is good for is to encourage them to move along to another bike.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts