Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I received my Ohlins damper and Harris fitment kit. I order it in black anodized and I must say that i'm really liking the all black w/ gold details look. Thought I might share it w/ the forum and do a 'How to' in the meantime. After all it's only a 10 min job.

The Kit includes:
-68mm stroke Ohlins SD (SD121)
-All brackets, bolts and spacers required.
-A replacement for the stock top steering nut

1- Tools required for the job:

2- Use a cable tie to hold the brake lever to secure the front wheel and avoid a nasty drop when tightning/untightning the steering head nut.
Remove the tank front mount bolts and fix the aluminium bracket turned to right side using some loctite on bolts: (use loctite in all bolts)

3- Remove the steering nut and washer and replace by the Harris bracket and new nut. Torque down to 78nm:

4- Bolt the new damper clamp to the steering bracket. The clamp as a o-ring and spacer beneath it to alow some movement to the damper. The clamp fixing bolt has to be tightened with 90 degree hex key and is inacessable when the damper is in place:

5-Slide the damper on the clamp, center the steering and position the damper so that its piston shows up equal on both sides.Tighten the clamp bolts and rose joint bolt:

6- Adjust the damper to full soft to familiarize yourself to the new steering and work your way up if you feel instabilty or headshakes:

7- Have fun!

·
Registered
225 Posts
pedrodani
I have just bought and installed one of these kits from Harris. When it came to fixing the new steering nut there was no torque figure supplied with the fitting kit. I was not too keen in tightening it to the specified torque for the standard nut as the nut supplied with the kit is only an alloy nut and not a steel nut. I contacted Harris obout this problem and they gave me a figure of 60nm or 44lb/ft. Do not over tighten this nut! Excellent step by step installation by the way.
cheers
coach.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the comments. I did tightened it up to 78nm which is stock. There was no mention of torque on the instructions and since the original nut isn't steel weither (alloy) i used the stock set-up. Should I go back to 60nm then?

·
Registered
525 Posts
Anybody know off hand what the exact size of that head nut is? Is it 36mm?

The battery is dead in my caliper, and I don't trust my rickety old measuring tape...lol.

Thanks,
Rem

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Pedrodani was is the difference between the Ohlins and the Harris mounting kit?? Besides the $30-40 bucks. :badteeth:

Nice looking setup, one of the nicest and cleanest I've seen on the site.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
PatrickG said:
Pedrodani was is the difference between the Ohlins and the Harris mounting kit?? Besides the $30-40 bucks. :badteeth:

Nice looking setup, one of the nicest and cleanest I've seen on the site.:thumbsup:
Thanks! :thumbsup:

I can't tell, I know nothing about the ohlins kit. I choose the Harris mainly because it optionally came in black anodized, it's cheaper and looks discrete.

·
Registered
62 Posts
beautiful setup, I want to go with Ohlins myself, now I may have to check into Harris brackets as well.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts