Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First, you have to open up the garage door opener (gdo) and find the switch. Solder on a wire on each side of the switch and close up the gdo body. I cut the plastic away a bit to allow the wires to go through the body easier. (there are no pics for this since I figure this part depends on what gdo you have)

Next, locate where you want the gdo. I put mine under the seat.

Now, run the wire through the frame and fairing to wherever you want the switch. I used thin speaker wire (cant remember the exact guage) because it's easy to route and is not very heavy:

Next is the switch. I didnt want to hack into my controls, so I made a bracket out of mild steel, drilled and painted it and mounted the switch from Radio Shack (p/n 275-644) on it to complete the install.

Now I dont have to fumble around trying to find the button through my jacket.

·
Registered
6,354 Posts
Great idea!!

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
man, i just zip-tied my opener behind the seat panel so i can reach it through the openings in the fairing. but thats trick, man. nice job.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks.

I didnt want to chance screwing up the lap timer switch. You never know what else it would screw up. I'm not the best with a soldering iron, so one slip could have cost a lot.
:rolleyes:

·
Registered
12 Posts
did mine by
1 using a small wire to short out the the button on the opener.
2 My opener runs on a 12v battery (which I tossed)
3 then I soldered wires to the battery contacts on the opener....
4 Tapped the positive wire to the horn + wire and ground the negative behind fairing stay bolt
5 glued the opener out of site
6 honk the horn... the garage opens....or closes
*** you can also tap into you head light high beams ..but I ride with them on during the day. ... not sure how much juice goes through the lap times switch but you could try that....

Benefits:
1 The horn only works when the key is in... and so does the opener... leaving bike outside is only a threat to the bike not easy access into my garage which is attached to my house.

2 never need to change the battery on the remote, Install it and forget it!

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
Unless the bike gets stolen from the front of your house, then they have access to your garage when they undo the garage opener.

·
Registered
12 Posts
1killer1liter said:
Unless the bike gets stolen from the front of your house, then they have access to your garage when they undo the garage opener.
1 - they have to know I have it...
2 - they have to find where I cleaverly hid it.
3 - if they are that commited to getting into my house I'm sure they can find an easier way (alarms, locks, codes and such only keep the honest people out)

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
1- If they stole your bike, they will part it out which leads to
2- they WILL find it
3- they won't have to be committed to get into your garage and steal whatever else is in there when they have your garage door opener.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
I always keep my bike in the garage so it will have to be stolen on the street because my german shep. loves to sleep next to it. :mrgreen:

but lets say it's stolen in the street:

1. I carry my registration in my wallet so there is no address to go and open the garage door.
2. My garage door unit enables me to re-program with my other garage openers which will disable the stolen one in the first place.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
that's awesome! and I have the same cheap garage opener. but I also like the hardwired/no battery thing and that it's wired into an existing button I never use (the horn) but my neighbors in the apartment complex wouldn't like the horn every day..

·
Still here
9,059 Posts
Supraman78 said:
that's awesome! and I have the same cheap garage opener. but I also like the hardwired/no battery thing and that it's wired into an existing button I never use (the horn) but my neighbors in the apartment complex wouldn't like the horn every day..
I was thinking the same thing, love Kenny's hookup and no batt to replace, mine is 12vt too.
It is a small one velcroed where I can reach it for now.

Don't want to use horn button, thought blinker -but you'd have to cancel at one flash and may screw up the blink rate.

Maybe rear brake light switch would be an idea.?:dontknow:

Or just add a switch like the one in the original post and put it in-line of a 12volt fused lead to battery and ground the thing where ever or just run a ground to batt as well..

1 - 20 of 57 Posts