Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!
I have installed MXK10-Gen4 dashboard + datahub + extension hub and some sensors. But I can't log a TRC data becouse AiM can't get data from wheel's sensors.
Is any way to modify CAN protocol to get this data?
There is an alter way: making an incut to wheel's sensors wiring and connect it to extension hub. But this way is not fine.

ECU is stock.

Help pls.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
15,396 Posts
I don't think that data is available. Kawi doesn't publish the CANbus profile they use. You're making the assumption that the wheel speed sensors are on the CANbus network. The wheel speed sensors connect to the ECU, but that deosn't mean they use CANbus. The wheel speed is used by the traction control and ABS and is used to determine overall speed. The ECU sees those signals from the sensors, interprets them as needed, and then communicates with the dash via CANbus. That doesn't mean the data for the wheel speeds is in the CANbus serial stream that you can see coming out of the ECU. If that's what you want to do, then effectively you would need to rewrite the ECU code to take the raw sensor data and put it in the CANbus stream yourself. The reason the AIM doesn't show it is the data you're looking for isn't in there. Aside from that, a second set of sensors would be needed to log the raw data connected directly to the datalogger.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't think that data is available.
May be....
I know, that ABS use data from wheels sensors directly, because they are connected to ECU via ABS unit. In that case, could I make a fork on sensor wiring?

·
Registered
2012 (Gen4) ZX-10R
1,042 Posts
Wheel speed sensors can be sniffed off of the bus on the Gen4 ABS bikes for sure.
I don’t use Aim though, but you can see it all in the day logs from Woolich Racing, both front and rear wheel separately. It’s interesting to see the wheel speed differences between acceleration and braking.

Woolich racing simply uses the diagnostic port to extract the can bus data, it is possible the wheel speeds are not on the portion of can bus that goes to the dash?

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
15,396 Posts
Wheel speed sensors can be sniffed off of the bus on the Gen4 ABS bikes for sure.
I don’t use Aim though, but you can see it all in the day logs from Woolich Racing, both front and rear wheel separately. It’s interesting to see the wheel speed differences between acceleration and braking.

Woolich racing simply uses the diagnostic port to extract the can bus data, it is possible the wheel speeds are not on the portion of can bus that goes to the dash?
That's interesting. I'll have to look at mine to see if that info is present in that data. It's possible the diag port is a separate stream of data. Since that's how you connect to rewrite the ECU software to flash it, I would doubt that is actually a CAN interface. But I haven't looked too much into that and I'm not sure. .

·
Registered
2011 ZX-10R. Black bikes matter!
67 Posts
I know others have successfully viewed sensor data using a cheap ELM 327 interface and either store bought or homemade cable. As to whether wheel speed data is available, I do not know as of yet but I will try to find out on my bike when I get a chance.

·
Registered
2012 (Gen4) ZX-10R
1,042 Posts
That's interesting. I'll have to look at mine to see if that info is present in that data. It's possible the diag port is a separate stream of data. Since that's how you connect to rewrite the ECU software to flash it, I would doubt that is actually a CAN interface. But I haven't looked too much into that and I'm not sure. .
As already pointed out, the diag port definitely gets CAN bus, I’ve looked into it in the past, it’s a long standing area of interest for me. I used to work in the F1 electronics field. ;-)

Now, can it be a different “stream”? There is no logic streams as such, unless you mean a different physical bus ( pair of wires), then yes, it could be a different can bus from the (if present) CAN bus going to the instrument cluster. (I believe it has CAN also, I vaguely remember seeing it in the AiM pin out!)

But what is possible is that the instruments are on a completely separate can bus. It’s very normal to have multiple CAN busses on vehicles. Usually a high speed/low latency CAN bus, and a slower and higher latency CAN bus. High-speed CAN bus is usually for engine measurements and possibly wheel speed sensors too. But instrument displays are relatively low speed, so could be on a low speed CAN bus. That’s how cars work, but I wouldn’t be surprised if there was only a single high-speed CAN bus on the zx-10r.

I started looking at the wiring diagrams earlier, but my day job demanded attention from me, so I stopped.

It’s also possible, but not likely, that the CAN bus going to the DIAG port is a dedicated bus where the ECU aggregates data from other CAN busses and non-CAN interfaces, and sends it to the diagnostic port specifically for KAWI diagnostic purposes only.

One thing to note, I know the ABS pump communicates with the ECU via CAN bus, so it’s possible the wheel speed sensors are only available on CAN on ABS bikes, as that’s where the wheel speed sensors go, I think. On non-abs the wheel speed sensors go direct to the ECU, At least that’s how I think I remember seeing it in the manuals.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Email AIM support with this question. I'm pretty sure the ECU knows the wheel speed and AIM MKX10 will pick it up. I used to run AIM SOLO DL and my F and R wheel speed channels were recorded. So no way MKX10 doesn't. Really really hard to believe that.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts