Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, having not been in the US long, and having come from the UK I find the fees you guys pay for cell contract crazy.

However, in teh new world I need to adopt teh new world way! ;)

What I need to knwo is hwo to get eth best deal I can on a cell contract.
Here's what I'm looking for:
2 lines One for me and one for my wife:
Minimum of inclusive minutes/texts.(Who are we goning to call? We don't know any people in the US! Oh and don't say "Ghostbusters"! :spit:)
Some data. We don't need much, at home we have WiFi, at work I have Wifi, so it's only really when out and about!

We don't need phones! My wife has a simFree iphone 4s, I have a simFree Nokia 808.

So far I've seen prices ranging from $59 each to just over $100 for a "family" plan. They all include huge amount of talk minutes/txts, which we will never use!

I just don't want to pay for something I REALLY won't use!

Rob

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Going to be hard to find something like that, most are huge plans for huge amounts of money.
I have a single plan for myself that is $55 a month for the very basics.

·
Registered
369 Posts
well here are few choices : ( i worked for cell phone shop )

T-Mobile (Prepaid) .. $50/month. each line unlimited everything .. so $100 total

Boost Mobile (Prepaid) .. $50 as well

MetroPCS ( If its available ) $40 month unlimited ..

Virgin Mobile ( If its available) $35 month 300 minutes .. unlimited text/web ...

Simple Mobile ( If its available) $50 month unlimited talk.text.web.. and unlimited text international

everything else is pretty much a lot or not worth it .. you can try contracts .. but wil; cost more most off the time .. i prefer tmobile prepaid ..

The cheapest contract plan T-mobile has is

$60 month (plus tax n fees) both lines and you get 1000 minutes .. you will add internet for $20 a month ( each line) .. plus $20 texting .. so thats grand total off $120 ... plus tax n fess ... and you can get same plan from tmobile but in prepaid.. for $100 plus tax only no fees .. so .. IMO Tmobile Prepid is the way to go

Hope this helps ... ( all info/pricing is from NY .. but pretty sure should be same for all states)

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
I have tmobile...they have the best prices, but not always the best coverage...I live out in the sticks, so its not great but anywhere in town is awesome!

I pay about $200 a month for 3 lines with unlimited everything, and a 4th line has unlimited talk/text, but no data...

·
BigCat for Prez!
7,229 Posts
go into a store and start writing on a piece of paper that ur deaf and will only need texting and data and maybe theyll feel sorry and hook u up. my buddy was deaf and all he had was unlimited txting and data

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
There is no such thing as a good deal on a cell plan. We have at&t family plan. 2 phones each with 200mb data and for 120 month, which i find appalling. We've been with them forever, so no contracts. It is sad to say the best thing about your cell plan is no contract. Our gov't pays for my neighbors cell phone because he doesn't want to work so you could probably go that route, lol. Anyway, best of luck. And welcome to america my friend.

·
Chairman of the Board
16,049 Posts
Boost shrinkage plan here. Ive been with them for over 2 years and 0 problems. From south Florida to Indy to Oklahoma to Mississippi, Ive been all over with it. Unlimited text, calls and data start at $55 and drop down to $35 in $5/6month increments. Hard to beat I think. Especially when I was paying about $100 a month with TMobile, I love seeing that $35 bill from Boost.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow, thanks for all the replies guys! You've all given me a lot of options to investigate.
I forgot to say it has to be on a GSM network, as I use a Nokia phone from the UK. I'm on ATT GoPhone at the moment, but I'm trying to find a better deal.

I can get company discount if I go contract with ATT or T-mobile. But I have to buy a phone at that point, which I don't want. So if anybody wants a cheapish phone! let me know! ;-) Selling the included phone will effectively "reduce" my total line rental over the contract period....

Rob

·
Just trolling
2,618 Posts
I have verizon and i pay 220 a month with a small discount on one line. I have 4 lines unlimited text 1400 minutes which we never use all of them and unlimited data on all 3 lines which runs 30$ a line + unlimited text for family is 30 and than the rest is the minutes..its stupid expesnieve still for cell phone plans. i find it crazy i spend 90 dollars on internet on my phone than utrn around and spend 50 for internet at home. Verizon and the cable companies are making bookoo bucks off of us!

·
Servo's Eliminatus ;)
6,813 Posts
Simple Mobile has a Unlimited plan for 40 bucks a month.
Unlimited Calls, Text, Data, Picture messaging.
Plus international texting and calling so you can stay in touch with your mates back home.

Just take your phone with a sim card in it and they will hook you up.

http://www.mysimplemobile.com/

·
Registered
370 Posts
best cell phone plan is to take you phone and throw it in the garbage.

Damn phones are going to be the end of us....

making society lazy and incapable of even doing the simplest of things on your own.

Ok I'll get off my soapbox...lol

I'm proud to say I don't have a cell phone and won't ever get one.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Trebor, if you get a company discount because of who you work for, you do not need to purchase a new phone. The discount you receive is the starting base amount of your monthly price BEFORE THEY HIT YOU WITH THE TAXES. Meaning, if you get a 23% discount, it's 23% off the $50 a month. Then they add the taxes and miscellaneous fees.

My apologies, I stand corrected. If the phones you currently have are not supported by the cellular provider you get a discount with, then yes, you would need to purchase a phone that their service supports.

·
Just trolling
2,618 Posts
Tbh anytime you open a new line you should get a new a phone anyways at min to just sell. Iphones alone you get for say 200 you can sell tem unopened for 500 dollars for a 4s so even if you dont need the phone its worth to
Get one if yoyr gunna open a new line anyways

1 - 14 of 14 Posts