Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

81 - 91 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
I also had a question regarding resetting the cap; I installed my newly rebuilt forks without meddling with the caps at all. Should I be worried?
This is a very informative thread, but this guys question didn't get answered.

I'm very much a noob at bike maintenance but I've almost finished replacing my fork seals on my gen 2, PITA compared to when i did them on my f4i... been mainly following this guys video (
) as well as the manual… from what I can tell he stuffs up the measurement of the rod nut (8:43 into the video) which should be 11mm, and subsequently needs to keep adjusting the rebound dampening adjuster (which according to the manual should be 13mm), ive attached a picture, that thing that you turn with a flat head is what i think is the rebound dampening adjuster...

Also attached a screen shot from the manual (06/07), I feel it could of been explained better... can i have some confirmation that i know what i'm talking about?

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Also, my rebound dampening adjuster reading was 15.67mm before i adjusted it, when i adjusted it to 13mm and rebuilt my fork there was much less spring back when i pushed on it... should i have left them alone at 15.67mm?

·
Registered
183 Posts
If you are only replacing the seals there is no need to strip the cartridge at all. With the fork top screwed in this means the spring is under tension and is pushing the bottom of the cartridge into the bottom of the fork leg giving it some resistance to turning when you remove the allen screw inside the axle point....remove this screw with an air ratchet (windy gun). It needs that sudden input of torque the windy gun gives, otherwise it will spin with the cartridge at hand tool speed.
Unscrew the fork top and the whole cartridge will come with it...separate inner outer tubes...renew seals.
Before assembling pump out the cartridge and then replace oil by volume.
Oh and don't tighten the screw with the windy gun...just do it by hand.
This method worked great for ONE side , but the other fork leg, the Allen bolt is spinning.... you can hear the cartridge turning inside.....

How do you hold the innards so I can get the bottom allen bolt out?

Thanks... anyone...

I just need to get these seals done... yesterday...

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
This method worked great for ONE side , but the other fork leg, the Allen bolt is spinning.... you can hear the cartridge turning inside.....

How do you hold the innards so I can get the bottom allen bolt out?

Thanks... anyone...

I just need to get these seals done... yesterday...
You could try adding all the preload to the fork to add more pressure, or use a cartridge holding tool.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Air gun has always worked for me too, if I'm taking the cartridge out.

Like evallarta1 said, If I'm removing the cartridge I usually crack the bottom allen loose before I
remove the top cap.

For disassembly of cartridge or if you need to hold cartridge from spinning
get this tool.....

Motion Pro 08-0117 Damper Rod Fork Tool $27 Amazon

If removing the bottom allen bolt make sure to replace that copper washer too.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000GTV1KS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
632 Posts
For setting the top cap "by the book", the image in the manual is
a little confusing. Here's perhaps a better image to clear it up.

Attachments

·
Registered
183 Posts
Thanks guys
I'll try it again 2-morrow with more preload.... I ordered the tool also... should be here Wed. (amazon)

air gun got one apart... the other one nope.
just my luck... LOL !

·
Registered
183 Posts
Nice job on the home made spring compressor.
thanks
my first failed attempt was a PVC coupling.... not good.

the steel worked great.

when the stubbord allen bolt came out there was some dried crud on it...... I believe it is blue Loctite... :angryfire:

:headshake:

I took both legs apart for inspection...

not sure why those pics are sideways.... I rotated them on my home PC....

81 - 91 of 91 Posts