Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
BigCat for Prez!
7,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I decided today that it was time to flush my cooling system, because recently I had a rock bst my radiator while I was 150 miles away from home and had to epoxy the hole and fill with hard water to make my way back home. and never got around to flushing the system again and refilling it with Engine Ice.

Whats needed: 1/4in drive 10mm socket, 4mm allen wrench philips head screw driver, funnel, pan, and a few towels for spillage, gallon of distilled vinegar (eats away the scale, calcium, and lime that builds up), and atleast 2gallons of distilled water.

To start you will want to remove the left hand belly fairing, as well as the mid fairing unless ur lazy like myself and can manage to work around it. You will also need to remove the black cover that is over the radiator cap.

1. Next step is to grab a philips head screw driver and remove the clamp on this hose that clamps it to the water pump

2. Once the clamp is loosened youll pull it off of the water pump and have it drain into a pan for easy disposal obviously. after the coolant has been drained, put the hose back onto the water pump and then loosen the water pump drain bolt (10mm) and allow it to piss out the old coolant.

3. Once the drain has finished urinating coolant, squeeze on the hose a few times to pump any excess fluid out of the water pump, then put the bolt back into the plug (hand tighten only).

4. The next step is to loosen the cylinder drain plug which is located abt an inch under the valve cover behind the header on the same side of the bike.

Be sure to move ur pan underneath the bottom of the header bec there is enough pressure that it will spray onto the header and run down the pipe and drip onto the ground. After the majority has drained from this hole, squeeze the same hose that u previously squeezed to squirt out the remaining fluid in the water pump. Hand tighten this plug bolt as well for now.

Now you will fill the radiator with a 50/50 mix of vinegar and distilled water. Start the engine and allow it time to circulate throughout the cooling system. Kill the motor and repeat the 1st 4 steps mentioned (2 times with 50/50 vinegar and water, and another 2-3 times with 100% distilled water or until the fluid that is being drained is completely clean.) After each refill, start the motor and let it idle for a minute or so to fully circulate throughout the system before draining each time

Once u have finished flushing the system, it is time to flush the over flow. The is a small hose at the bottom of the overflow that u can un clamp that will allow it to drain. Once drained run vinegar and water through it to remove any residue that may have built up while the coolant sat there, as the overflow isnt really used unless the radiator runs out of coolant and needs an emergency supply if u will. Or if the fluid begins to boil over it will drain into the overflow hence the name.

Now that everything is flushed and clean, its time to refill ur system with ur favorite coolant. I personally use Engine Ice for a couple of reasons:
It has a different heat transferring agent (Propylene Glycol) from typical antifreeze (Ethylene Glycol). This makes Engine Ice non toxic for pets if ingested (typical antifreeze has a sweet smell that most pets will try to drink, in turn killing them.

It doesnt have an oily/syrup feel like Ethylene Glycol does which is why regular antifreeze isnt allowed at track days, because if someone were to crash and the antifreeze gets onto the track it becomes a safety hazard bec of how slippery it is.

When I got the hole in my radiator I was out riding with some buddies and one of them threw a tiny rock which knocked a pin hole in my radiator. This caused coolant to spray all over my front tire. If I wouldve had any form of coolant with Ethylene Glycol I wouldve gone down in a heart beat! Luckily I had Engine Ice which was like riding through a puddle of water.

Now it's time to burp your system. With the bike off and cold take the radiator cap off Some ppl will rock the bike to shake any trapped air bubbles loose or u can go through and squeeze on the hoses in your cooling system and that will also force any tapped air bubbles out. top off the radiator again. Turn the bike on and let it run till coolant is coming out the top of the radiator, then replace the cap and let the bike run till the fan kicks on, then kill the bike and top off radiator again if needed. not doing this will result in your bike still running hot after a coolant change.

I hope this How to will help any of u that werent to sure on how to go about flushing out your system, and possibly informed u of a more practical reason to switch to Engine Ice over regular coolant other than its ability to keep ur bikes engine colder than eskimo pussy.:eek:ccasion1

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
Like button!!

·
BigCat for Prez!
7,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:lol: thanks, just go like something on FB remember :Heyyou:

Blooseph, Feel free to move this to the How To section, as I wasnt able to start a thread in there

·
Registered
554 Posts

·
Gen2 Ripper
4,867 Posts
Like.

Good writeup. Maybe add the burping process for the newbies, homie. Lots of people seem to get air trapped and wonder why their shit runs hot AFTER a coolant change.

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
like a burp from a beer well done? :lol:

·
Gen2 Ripper
4,867 Posts

·
BigCat for Prez!
7,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Knew i forgot something lol. done

·
BigCat for Prez!
7,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
BigCat for Prez!
7,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
:welcome:

·
BigCat for Prez!
7,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
467 Posts
One thing that was missed in this procedure, you should remove the thermostat before you do the system flush otherwise you could trap scale behind the thermostat which could cause the thermostat to stick open later on.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
One thing that was missed in this procedure, you should remove the thermostat before you do the system flush otherwise you could trap scale behind the thermostat which could cause the thermostat to stick open later on.
I didn't do that...but I will say that I burnt my knuckles because BC forgot to add in his procedure that headers get hot and may burn you when unscrewing the drain plug located right across from them. Thanks a lot, BC. Sarcasm intended :rolleyes:

·
back to car scene
4,297 Posts
just a FYI

im installing my samco kit and engine ice this weekend, did a search, found this and made a shortcut for this weekend so i can review while doing the work

nice write up bigcat!!!!

go team KIMBER!!!! LOL

·
BigCat for Prez!
7,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Lol glad I could help. Guess it makes up for me giving rwarner the wrong advice on his shift linkage

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

1 - 20 of 36 Posts