Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

So both of my 10r's have this loud annoying vibration/rattle that comes from the front cowl, mostly from 4k-6k rpm's. And I notice it goes away if I push forward on the windscreen. So today I decide to go check it out and heres what i found.

First you gotta remove the front center cowl and windscreen as a unit. This requires removing the two center windcreen allen bolts, removing the mirrors, and then removing the 2 srews next to the gauge that hold the center cowl to the headlight.

After removal u can clearly see in the pic above where the harness coming from the gauge is rubbing the back of the center cowl.

http://Zx-10r.net/gallery/displayimage.php?imageid=825

In this pic u can see the mark again but u also see 2 smaller marks alittle higher up. These are where the brackets are rubbing the cowl where they bolt up to the upper stay.

In this pic you can see the front center cowl removed. See the red dot on the harness, well thats paint from the cowl its not supposed to be there. Also u can see the brackets that go to the windscreen, see where they bolt the upper stay? The round parts that are raised is where the cowl contacts them.

http://Zx-10r.net/gallery/displayimage.php?imageid=827

So to fix things I cleaned up the round parts of the brackets with alcohol and places some PTP tape on there (not shown in pic), its basicaly foam with tape on one side, tech's use it for rattles in cars and such. Also I found a bendable tab that wasnt being used when I installed my euros. It was completely straight and not holding anything so when I installed the euro's I removed it but held onto it. Well it came in handy cause in the next pic you can see how i used it to hold the harness out of the way. Looks factory!

Anyway when ur done just put it all together and u should have no more rattles from the front. Which makes me enjoy my bike so much more cause now i can listen to all the good sounds the 10r makes!

here is the pic of the left side of the bike where I found the tab not being used. It was attached to this bracket.

·
Still here
9,059 Posts
Nice -but now I'm sure to hear that rattle on my bike!

·
Still here
9,059 Posts
projekZERO said:
if i can get these damn pics working right so people can see what im seein
They work if I click on the links- made sense.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I see the pics...also, which bracket did you remove? what did it do? I didn't find any useless brackets when I installed my euro's. I really want to do this so I can enjoy my 10r sounds as well...
:+1: good find

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
well the bracket (bendable tab) i found on the bracket in the last pic, just look down there and see if u can spot it. urs may actualy be holding something but mine wasnt. and i could figure out what it would hold.

also make sure the rattle is from the cowl, do this by riding and with it vibrating push and pull on the windscreen, if it goes away then this is ur rattle. if it doesnt, its probably in ur clip-on's

oh and hill fixed the pics for me :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
the clip-ons making the rattle?....haven't heard of that before. and i think that this may be my problem, may also be more than just this though...I did try the windshield thing just didn't do it at the right rpms to double check

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well the clip-ons will be mor a vibration but can be alittle audible, the cowl vibration-rattle is much louder

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
and the clip-on issue is helped by tightening what...

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
nothing, all bikes suffer it, thats why we have weighted bar ends, to help absorb the vibrations. i guess u could try changing the bar ends, or lossening up the clips-ons and trying to move em a tiny bit.

on most bikes it usualy isnt audible tho, just felt as a vibration, thats why so many have gel grips.

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
the superior orange bikes don't suffer from such trivial nuances.:wink:

BD

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Big Daddy said:
the superior orange bikes don't suffer from such trivial nuances.:wink:

BD
Only because of that anti-vibe blue paint on the wheels. :lol:

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I did some research also and found another thing that makes the cowl rattle.

When you take the windscreen off on the second bolt hole where you use the bolt and nuts there is a thin metal strip that comes from the instrument cluster to brace the windscreen.

I found out on mine the strip does not have any type of damper material on it, so I am going to put some thin two sided tape on mine and quite it down some.

I also found out that the bolt and J nut in the front of the headlight assembly that holds the upper mid fairing on gets loose causing some noise also.

You just have to take some time and check the bike over and slowly find the locations of the noise and eliminate them one at a time.

·
MIA Post Whore
8,727 Posts
My wires are all zip tied up. I still have a rattled. best I can figure it's the clutch cable. Tried different routings, but the only only one the stopped the rattle cause some steering binding. I'll keep the rattle!

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
sneaky said:
When you take the windscreen off on the second bolt hole where you use the bolt and nuts there is a thin metal strip that comes from the instrument cluster to brace the windscreen.

I found out on mine the strip does not have any type of damper material on it, so I am going to put some thin two sided tape on mine and quite it down some./QUOTE]

the PTP tape i used is on the thin brackets thats goes to the second hole on the windscreen.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
miykl said:
My wires are all zip tied up. I still have a rattled. best I can figure it's the clutch cable. Tried different routings, but the only only one the stopped the rattle cause some steering binding. I'll keep the rattle!
mykl we get noises in shift cables in car sometimes, the acura RL is bad about it.

if its cause the cable is hitting somewhere just rap it in foam tape at that point.

if its just harmonics from the cable try tying a weight around the cable in different spots. doesnt have to be heavy maybe a few grams or a couple ounces. metal usualy works best as obsorbing harmonics tho.

long things cables like that are realy good at tranfering vibrations and harmonics.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
I had the same issue on my 05.. turned out that the front lip that molds over the front edge between the headlights is just stuck down with Velcro and after a good squeeze from my right hand the buzz was gone.

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
My left mirror vibrates. I can grab the base of the mirror and the buzz goes away. I wrapped the support with electrical tape and it helped a little. It goes away completely with the mirror block off plates. Someone else here bent the support up a little to give the fairing clearance between the metal of the support and fairing.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
my gf's bag always starts vibrating when we go on trip's. i always look at her with a freaky grin in my face, thinkin im gonna have a good trip.

it always turns out to be the toothbrush

1 - 20 of 79 Posts