Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
La Flama Blanca
7,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had brought a old thread about Dzus type fasteners in OEM bodywork to the top last week or so when I installed a 10 piece kit in my 04, the 04 was pretty strait foreward, but a few wanted some install pics, so I bought up another set for my 06, and am gonna take you though the install. The 06-07 is a little bit more involved and involves slight modifying of a few of the panels.

I purchased the kits for OEM bodywork from http://kurveygirl.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=25&products_id=75

For the 04-05 you will need a 10 piece kit for the 06-07 you will need 14 pieces.
You will need the kits for OEM bodywork, as the race kit Dzus are shorter and will not reach through the thicker plastic. You could choose to replace just the lower fasteners if you wanted as well, you would then need only 4 for the 04-05 and 6 for the 06-07. They also come in black or silver.

For the "how to" I am only going to cover the 06-07 instalation, as the 04-05 is much easier and is pretty strait foreward.

First off remove your lower (two pieces) and the side mid fairings and the two black textured inner fairings. Remove all the rubber well nuts from the 14 fasteners you are converting to Dzus.

On the lowers there are no modifications that are required to instal the Dzus retaining clips on the fairings, just remove the well nuts and line the clips up and install them.

Install the three Dzus fasteners in each side fairing that will connect to the lowers, by slightly enlarging the holes that the screws went through, with a carpenter knife, by lightly twisting the knife in circles till the hole is enlarged enough for the Dzus to fit through. You could possible use a drill bit or a dremel to do this , but I thought it was best to keep power tools out of the equation as you want to make sure you don't enlarge the holes too much, I made them just big enough that the dzus could just barely fit through, and actually snaped in. * Another great idea to enlarge the holes would be to use a small round file* (great tip) You will use one plastic washer on the front and one on the back of the dzus. All three of both sides will remain captive to the side fairings. You could remove some of the fairing alignment tabs if you chose, but all will still work, I chose to leave as much as I possibly could in case I ever went back to stock screws. Thats pretty much all there is to the lowers, just make sure all your retainer plates are lined up and test fit, then remove the lowers and set them aside and we will do both mid fairings.

I chose to work on them one at a time, but they are mirror images so I will only cover one.

These are a little tricky and some may wish to stop with just the lowers, and that would be cool. First off remove the side fairing and the textured inner panel on top of the side fairing

Lets start with that textured inner fairing, the second hole will have a well nut in it, remove it and install one retainer clip in it, no modding of the panel involved. The rear well nut for that panel is through a steel bracket, remove that and install the other clip in this bracket. You may have to slightly bend the retainer clip recepticle on this clips as you have two plastic fairings that will go on top of this clip.

Now that you have the side fairing completely removed, enlarge the two holes that would attach to the clips you just installed and install the Dzus in those holes like you did on the previous panel. Both of these Dzus will remain captive as well.

There should be two holes left yet to attack, and they are where it gets kind of tricky, they are the two screws that connect the upper to the mid fairing, install the retainer clips in the midfairing by removing the well nuts and the front hole you can slide the clip right on, the rear hole you will have to modify the fairing, by removing part of the alignment tab recepticle as shown in the pictures. That covers the modifications to the side fairing, set it aside for a while and we will cover installing those last two dzus in the upper fairing.

The back hole on the upper is pretty easy, just enlarge the hole and install the dzus, with the two plastic retaining washers, the front is where it gets tricky, start by enlarging the hole, then you will need to modify the tab that mounts the headlight to the upper fairing on the inside, You will need to do this as there is not enough clearance on the inside of the fairing (front hole) for the retaining clip to allow the panel to line up properly.

Remove the phillips head screw that attaches the headlight mounting tab to the upper fairing. This will give you a little play to get in there and trim this tab away. What you are gonna want to do is trim off the edge of the tab, and clearance enough for the retaining clip to slip up in there once the side fairing is back installed. You can clearley see the issue, when test fitting the side fairing with the top black texture fairing off. And the pics should make it pretty apparent what you need to do to the tab. I used a razor blade to trim and round the tab down then a little piece of sand paper to smooth it out, it is pretty soft plastic so not that hard, but be careful not to slip and cut the tab too much or cut the inside of the fairing. Once you get everything trimmed test fit it a few times and make sure you have everything satisfactory aligned. Install the one phillips head screw back in the headlight, holding the tab you modded back to the upper.

The front screw hole in the upper should be enlarged to allow the Dzus to fit, this Dzus cannot be made captive due to the tight clearance on the back side, so make the hole just a tad bit bigger to allow easy removal and instalation of the dzus.

The other side is identical to this, same tab on the headlight has to be modified to fit the Fwd screw hole retaining clip. That should pretty much cover it, make sure you test fit multiple times when installing, some of the tabs on the upper could be trimmed as well, but I made mine work with them, although it is slightly more dificult to install and remove the panels, but thats up to you.

I will post the pics now and explain what they are as I show them.

The first couple of pics just show what the retaining clips look like installed on the black lowers, they fit really tight and once installed they are not going anywhere easily.

The next pic shows the enlarging of the holes that the dzus will fit through ,I chose to use a carpenter knife and turn it in a circle gradually increasing the size of the hole, you do not have to enlarge them very much at all, and you could go back to screws and no one would ever know. If you get them just large enough the dzus actually snap though the hole and helps them remain captive. You could get the drill or the dremel out for this step, but I kept it manual. *MagicMavis provided a great idea of using a small round file for the holes if you have one handy*

The next few pics show the dzus installed in the side fairing, and from the backside as well showing the retaining washer

The next pic shows the side fairing tab that has to be modified for the retaining clip to fit, it does not effect how the black textured panel fits to it.
This is after I modified the tab, I wish I had taken a pic with the clip installed

The next picture shows the phillips head screw that needs to be removed and the tab for the headlight that needs to be trimmed and clearanced for the front dzus retaining clip to fit the upper to the mid fairing.

A few pics of everything going back together, with the Dzus installed and stowed.

Hopefully this is not too confusing, the 04-05 is much simpler with no modifying of any fairings besides the slight enlargement of the holes.

·
La Flama Blanca
7,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here is the finshed product on the 04 if you missed it in the other post.

·
Postwhore with an 04
4,387 Posts
Looks sweet!! I thought about picking these up for the lower since it comes off a lot more often then the rest.

·
La Flama Blanca
7,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks sweet!! I thought about picking these up for the lower since it comes off a lot more often then the rest.

If you are just gonna do the lower, on your 04 you will only need the 4 piece kit. It'd make life alot easier:thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,818 Posts
Good thread. :thumbsup:

·
Custom Powder Coater
6,560 Posts
Nice i need to get some cause my well nuts are dry rotted and falling apart.
Nice write up 9r to 10r

·
Custom Powder Coater
6,560 Posts

·
La Flama Blanca
7,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have checked around alot of different places and kurveygirl.com is probably the cheapest you will find for "Genuine Dzus" fasteners, there are cheap knock offs, but I would stay away unless they say Dzus or Panex. (same company)

·
inappropriate
7,728 Posts
good write up and rep sent. i may need to invest in a set of these.

·
Retired post whore
8,463 Posts
Great post 9r - I might have to add them to the lowers on the 04 and 08. I do have to ask though, do you think the fasteners will mar the paint finish in time? It looks like they make contact with the paint.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Very nice write-up, but...
They must be wonderful on the track. But they look surely don't look as nice as the smoother factory look. And for the street not only do they look tacky, but if those clips are ever lose at all they look like scratches will develovpe around them.

Mine is just not a track machine. Think I'll keep the stock screws for as often as I have to deal with it.

·
La Flama Blanca
7,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Great post 9r - I might have to add them to the lowers on the 04 and 08. I do have to ask though, do you think the fasteners will mar the paint finish in time? It looks like they make contact with the paint.
I really think they will be ok, the are not loose, they are set up so that to flip them over stowed, they have spring tension, also there are no square edges, I will give a follow up on that after a few miles riding and let you know.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
You mentioned using a drill to open up the holes. I would recommend a stepped drill bit. That way you can open the hole gradually and not open it up too much. Overall nice write up.

·
La Flama Blanca
7,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You mentioned using a drill to open up the holes. I would recommend a stepped drill bit. That way you can open the hole gradually and not open it up too much. Overall nice write up.
That would be a good idea as well, I would do it again the excact same way I did though if I had to do it again, no power tools, the amount you need to enlarge the holes is very minimal, takes just a few turns with the carpenter knife or exacto. But a step bit would be the choice of the impatient profesional installer.
Good tip.

·
La Flama Blanca
7,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
OK, just installed the 3 on the right side lower, they are a 100% PERFECT fit!

I enlargened the 3 holes slightly in the bodywork using a round file. Didn't take but a few strokes and the DZUS D Ring turn lock piece would force thru the hole then remain captive by the raised lip on it. However it appears they use a second nylon washer on the back side to retain the turnlock in the bodywork. I got like 22 of the washers so I put one on each side.

100% Happy with this, I just now need go back out in my very cold Garage and do the other side.

I bought the 10 piece kit, to do my 6 lowers, so I have some spare parts. I probably will stop here as the rest may be more complicated than I want to try.
Great, Great MOD! Thank you 9R to 10R for this thread. They look great.
Good deal, those clips do look large don't they, but they acutally seem like they are designed just about perfect for the seams of the bodywork, as far as clearance.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts