Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
HOW TO: Make your own TRE for 08/09

It's easier than you may think.
The only con is that you will lose the functionality of your gear indicator (it will read whatever gear based on the resistor you choose).
The neutral light is not effected as it is on a separate circuit.

Attachments

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Moderators: any way the topic title can be changed to "HOW TO: Make your own TRE for 08/09" ?

·
Registered
609 Posts
Note that some TREs are chip controlled, but the ZX10 is just the resister from my understanding.

Unless you are really into this kind of thing, $60 for IVANS is a cheap solution.

When you consider he provides the correct connectors for a plug in installation, and a lifetime warranty it's hard to go wrong.

If you enjoy playing with this stuff, go for it.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Call me ignorant, but what does remapping the ignition have anything to do with controlling the secondaries? Also when you guys say eliminates fuel cut, what exactly do you mean by that?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
what fuel cut are you talking about? the rev limiter?
and for what its worth: having my bike hooked up as described above, removing the secondaries and a custom tune netted me 12rwhp... I find it hard to believe all of that came from the tune as the AFR's really weren't that far off unmapped. Dyno aside, it made the bike more responsive which is why I did it to begin with.
As far as the secondaries are concerned I don't believe it disables them like on the 'zuks... but then again that's what they make screwdrivers for.
Also, if you read about the KIMS in the FSM it dictated by speed, gear, rpm, etc. I chose 6th and not neutral because KIMS is not totally disabled (they wouldn't have put all that money into r&d for nothing) but is only minimally active.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
disadvantage of just removing the secondaries altogether??
On my 1st gen I have a slip-on and pulled flies nothing else. When the bike is cold it is hesitant to rev off idle where it wasn't previously, and it seems to lag when I roll on the throttle from a low rpm(below4k). I put over 6k miles on the bike before removing the flies, and never once did I notice any of these issues until removing them. Some more knowledgeable members then myself suggested that it may be causing some lean fuel conditions at low RPM.:dontknow:

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
the bike definitely needs to be re-mapped if you removed the secondaries. My map is substantially richer than the PCV LOR base map up until about 5.5-6k. Particularly in the lower throttle positions.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
disadvantage of just removing the secondaries altogether??
No disadvantage at all.... much crisper throttle responce, you pick up a couple horses because of the extra airflow and it even sounds better.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
the bike definitely needs to be re-mapped if you removed the secondaries. My map is substantially richer than the PCV LOR base map up until about 5.5-6k. Particularly in the lower throttle positions.
:eek:ccasion1

·
Registered
755 Posts
Note that some TREs are chip controlled, but the ZX10 is just the resister from my understanding.

Unless you are really into this kind of thing, $60 for IVANS is a cheap solution.

When you consider he provides the correct connectors for a plug in installation, and a lifetime warranty it's hard to go wrong.

If you enjoy playing with this stuff, go for it.
Sorry to dig this up from the dead but could anyone tell me whether ivan TRE disables the gear indicator?
Also could someone link me to where to purchse one from him..
Cheers:cool:

·
Registered
609 Posts
i think Ivans also gets rid of the gear indicator.
http://www.ivansperformanceproducts.com/

Healtech's retains it
http://www.healtech-electronics.com/
Correct, but one important piece of information is missing.

The healtech is completely useless. It has been proven (at least on the 08/09, don't recall if it applied to others) that gears 1 thru 6 on the zx10 all use the same map. Only neutral contains the improved map. Since healtech doesn't use neutral, it is a complete waste of money.

Search ecu hack for details.

·
Registered
34 Posts

The healtech is completely useless. It has been proven (at least on the 08/09, don't recall if it applied to others) that gears 1 thru 6 on the zx10 all use the same map. Only neutral contains the improved map. Since healtech doesn't use neutral, it is a complete waste of money.

So this 3rd gen TRE DIY would only work if you used a resistor to fool the ECM to think its in Neutral and not 6th gear (250 ohm resistor)?

·
Registered
23,742 Posts

I never heard of anyone doing a test like I did for the 1st and 2nd gen 10Rs:

SETTINGS

- Normal Mode
TRE NOT ACTIVE All voltages Normal per Manual specs

1- TRE Active in 1-6 gears. Hard Setting for zx10r only

Neutral 4.47v Same as Ivan’s TRE

2- TRE Active in 1-6 gears. Softer Setting for zx10r and zx14
4th Gear 1.4v

3- TRE Active in 1-6 gears. Hard Setting for zx14/zxr1400
6th Gear 1.0v

4- TRE Active in 2-6 gears. Hard Setting for zx14/zxr1400
6th Gear 1.0v (1st gear is normal voltage to the ECU)
Did you take voltage readings as well? :dontknow:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Good work bluedevil! But I wonder why your measurements slightly deviate from the gear position values stated in the manual?

BTW: Do you know how to wire the gear faking resistor (1st Gen)?

regards

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts