Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Alright I can't find them online, but the instructions provided for the PCV by Dynojet are pretty good, but the suggested mounting location sucks. They recommend you set the power commander in the trunk (under passenger seat) basically just sitting there, with the wires coming out of it facing the sky.

Not only would this look incredibly bad, but it takes from your already very limited trunk space on your bike already. So I got creative and did my own rendition, heres what I did.

1. Remove the passenger seat, seat panels, drivers seat, and the gas tank. If you have stands put your bike on them, although it isn't necessary. Once you have done so your bike should look like so:

2. Locate the brown plug underneath/near the throttle bodies and simply unplug it. It is on the throttle/kill switch side of the bike, can't miss it. After you have found it simply set your PC5 on top of your exhaust servo motor and run the wiring next to the battery to the brown plug. You may need to drop your subframe tray to fit the wiring/plugs through to get near the throttle bodies. Once you have the plug-n-play harness plugged inline of the brown plug your PC5 is now installed if you don't wish to tap into the speed/temperature sensors. Don't forget to hook up the ground wire! Now I looked, test fitted, and tried many different locations for the PC5 but ultimately the one I came up with is between the fuse box and the battery. You may need to unmount the fuse box from the servo motor to do so. Just pull up gently - there are 2 tabs on the fuse box and 3 on the servo motor - the way it mounts is real similar to if you were to interlock your fingers.

In these pictures I have a control module for my LED lights mounted below the PC5. Assuming you don't have anything else there, the PC5 should be able to sit all the way down in the tray.

2b. Now, if you want to have gear or speed dependent tuning, you'll need to tap into your speed sensor. For the extra 0-5v input I tapped into my temperature sensor. I did not tap into my gear indicator however when hooked up to my laptop the software reads both speed and gear! (If I had to guess it knows which gear its in based on RPM/speed)

The Dynojet instructions say to remove the front sprocket cover and tap the speed sensor down there. Thats unnecessary. Near the back of the throttle bodies on the clutch lever side look for yet another connector. The speed AND temperature sensor both run through that connector.

Since both wires you need to tap are right next to each other and the connections are side by side on the PC5, I used speaker wire since both strands of wire are glued together. That way it keeps things a little neater. Now simply strip back 10mm of the wire and screw it in to the PC5. I had to go to CVS and buy a "Eye Glasses Repair Kit" that was $3 to have a screw driver small enough to work.

Run the wire alongside the battery to the connector and use wire taps to complete the connection.

Wires:
Blue with yellow tracer: Speed sensor
Light orange: Temperature sensor

When you're done it should look like this (the wire taps are sky blue):

3. Now since your PC5 is mounted underneat the rider seat (and is not easily accessible all the time) you need a way to access it to tune. What I decided to do is plug in the USB cable, route it to the trunk, and stash it for easy use.

In this picture you can see how I ran it inside the subframe rail. To do this I had to remove the two allen bolts that hold the panel thats between the two seats.

Now it is possible for the USB connector to ground out, so be sure you cover it up. My plastic plug/cap hadn't arrived yet, so I simply wrapped it with electrical tape and neatly stashed the wire above the tail light for future use.

4. Reassemble your bike, load a map, and go enjoy! :thumbsup:

If you like what you see please let me know and send some rep

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Clean... i just got the PC3.. where would you recommend putting it?
I'd put it on the "roof" of one of the tail plastics if possible. That way its hidden and out of the way like mine is.

Great right up! Tell us what it goes like now?
I've only rode the bike once since then and I did a pull from 60 in second gear....bike doesn't take near as long to get through the mid range and it feels better up top as well. Still haven't had time/space to do a 60mph 1st gear hit (my favorite). :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Great man, thanks. I have not done the speed or temp sensors yet, but I did put a 2 position switch on mine to use 2 different maps. I found that it is much easier to put the wires into the holes on the PC V if you solder the ends first. No matter how tightly I twisted them it was a PITA and would not go all the way into the hole on the PC V. I did not know the speed and temp sensors were that close or that easily accessible so I will have to add those connections to my bike ASAP.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Since you have an 08, and a PC III (larger) you won't be able to put it where Patrick has his. It will have to go in the trunk, unless you have an aftermarket exhaust and buy a servo eliminator to free up that space. Or just sell it and get the PC V.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
do you have pics of yours? I dont see it... unless im retarded and blind, which is possible.
The PC5 is smaller, so a picture of mine wouldn't help at all.

I was saying I would try to attach it to the tail plastics - outside of the subframe. Try to imagine it right below the ZX-10R stickers but further forward - wedged between the plastics and subframe. If that isn't any more clear than lemme know and I'll try to get a picture. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
434 Posts
Great write up. But, I was wondering? If I get it tuned at a shop, would it make it difficult for the tuner to tune the bike. Given' that the PCV is under the riders seat. He would have to take off the riders seat to access the PCV, then put the seat back on so he could dyno and tune it. I dont know, maybe I can get a little more feedback on this cool setup before I try it.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I am wondering how does the Socket in the Housing of the PC V for the USB Cabel look.
So i couldt make a shorter cabel for the USB Plug. Anyone got pic ?

Thanks

·
Registered
551 Posts
Great write up. But, I was wondering? If I get it tuned at a shop, would it make it difficult for the tuner to tune the bike. Given' that the PCV is under the riders seat. He would have to take off the riders seat to access the PCV, then put the seat back on so he could dyno and tune it. I dont know, maybe I can get a little more feedback on this cool setup before I try it.
Just route the USB cable to under the passenger seat. The tuner won't need to access the PCV physically.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
great job ill get a pc3 when i get back and this info will help alot on where to hide the damn thing, nice color by the way

1 - 20 of 28 Posts