Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Yankee Racer
14,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok I am doing this how to because a few members requested it so since this is my first one take it easy on me.:wink:

First off you will need these things to get the job done. Brake cleaner, tooth brush, some rags, and a 5 & 6mm T-handle hex tool.:thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Yankee Racer
14,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Next, we are going to want to remove the pads and to do so you need to remove the pics holding the pads in with a 5mm hex tool.
I also put the pads and pics back together the way I took them out for reference so you dont get confused when you put them back together. I also clean off the pins and pad spring before I put it back together.

Attachments

·
Yankee Racer
14,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Then you will need to pump the front brake lever to push the pistons out of the calipers a little so you can clean them off better. Make sure not to push them to far out or they will fall out and brake fluid will be everywhere.:wink:

You can start to clean now and I try not to spray the brake cleaner directly on the pistons as there are seals underneath and that can ruin the seals. So spray around it or just on the tooth brush. Make sure to get around the whole piston and wipe with a rag. I also clean off the entire caliper to make it look almost as good as new.:mrgreen:

Attachments

·
Yankee Racer
14,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Mount the caliper back onto the bike by tightening the 2 6mm caliper bolts and you are good to go. Make sure to pull the lever to get the pistons and pads back into contact with the rotor or else the first rdie may be interesting without any brakes right away. Enjoy!!!:mrgreen: :thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
That is almost the exact way I clean mine.

The only thing I dont do is push the pistons in all of the way. One of the local race mechanis said it is better to do like you said push them out, clean the crud off and then only push them in enough to get the pads in and get the caliper back on the rotor.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
If I may add, I had PP (both front and back tires) put on at the stealership. When I came to the first stop… WOOOO no brakes. I immediately went to the back brakes and stopped. I had to pump the front breaks a couple of time, then they worked fine. I’m sure most of you here know what happened and could elaborate on what occurred. I know it goes without saying but, check brakes……

·
Yankee Racer
14,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
AK10R said:
If I may add, I had PP (both front and back tires) put on at the stealership. When I came to the first stop… WOOOO no brakes. I immediately went to the back brakes and stopped. I had to pump the front breaks a couple of time, then they worked fine. I’m sure most of you here know what happened and could elaborate on what occurred. I know it goes without saying but, check brakes……
well yeah because the pistons were still pushed back. Once you mount the caliper back onto the bike you have to pull the brake lever until the pistons/pads contact the rotor. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Some good info there

I have to add one very important thing
you are right about brake cleaner harming the piston seals
while OEM stuff is pretty tough they will after a few cleanings like this, start to deteriorate and drag or leak
If you ever get to work with some of the low drag stuff on race calipers
you will be buying seals
I am using simple green cut with water and a small detail brush
disassembling everything as you do
not cleaning the pads

When I clean the rotors I spray contact/brake cleaner on a clean rag keeping it away from just about everything

1 - 20 of 31 Posts