Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some tool guide and tip how to clean and wax the chain, what you do? :beer:

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
zenithRR said:
Need some tool guide and tip how to clean and wax the chain, what you do? :beer:
The best thing I've found to clean the chain with is diesel fuel and a bristle brush. I put the diesel in a spray bottle and the bike on a stand and roll the chain around spraying it with diesel. Then take the bristle brush to the chain until your satisfied and spray off with water. Before spraying the wax on the chain, the chain needs to be warm. Like a ride around the block or so just to get some heat in the chain. I like to have a rag handy to wipe the chain wax off the wheel, swingarm, tire, etc. after coating the chain, then just let it sit for 10-15 minutes so the chain wax can dry. IMO it's best to do this after a ride. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
307 Posts
I use kerosene to clean the chain.
Doesn't smell as bad as diesel fuel and does not damage the o'rings.
Available at every hardware store.

Then I do the same as ruthless........bristle brush or paint-brush, race stand, put some kerosene in a margarine pot and brush the chain. Then clean the chain and rear tire carefully with soap and water, ride the bike around the block and use a good chain wax.

Kerosene works great on wheels and body work........and it's gentle on paint.

WD-40 works good too for wheels and fairings.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I just use WD-40 and some rags to clean mine. Then ride it around the block and apply Maius Chain Wax to mine after that and let it sit until the wax has had some time to dry.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
sneaky (above) :+1:

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
For the most part i address the chain maintenance when returning from a ride when the chain is warm and i use a WD-40 soaked rag to wipe down the chain both inside & out then a dry rag for a final wipe down then apply a liberal amount of Honda HP chain lube to the inside rollers while spinning the wheel and done till the next 500 miles.

BD

·
Registered
131 Posts
I use a product called Motul Chain Clean. Combined with a rag and a brush, it doesn't leave any residue on the chain. That leaves a super clean surface for the lube (PJ-1) to stick to with zero fling.

·
I really need to get out of the house
11,176 Posts
Fish Slapper said:
I use a product called Motul Chain Clean. Combined with a rag and a brush, it doesn't leave any residue on the chain. That leaves a super clean surface for the lube (PJ-1) to stick to with zero fling.
I've always had flinging problems with the PJ-1 product. The gold label Chain Wax is my current favorite, it never flies off.

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
Andy said:
I've always had flinging problems with the PJ-1 product. The gold label Chain Wax is my current favorite, it never flies off.
me too. until changing to HP lube i used PJ1 blue label for many years and while the amount of fling is minimal under a days ride it do fling...or is that fly? :eyecrazy:

BD

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
kerosene and the Grunge brush. Its a brush solely designed for chain cleaning and it works great. I then use Maxima chain wax for lube.. I think none of them are great some fling, some attract dirt,.. The most important thing is to just use it.. whatever you use.

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
Can't believe I'm in the mainstream on anything. I clean my chain when cold with diesel fuel using my wife's tooth brush then wipe it down with paper towels once per 1,000 miles. I lube the chain with PJ1 Black every 333 miles when the chain is warm wiping off the excess with paper towels. PJ1 Black makes a mess of yer rear wheel and swing arm but it gives yer bike that hardcore world traveler look.

·
Yankee Racer
14,838 Posts
swjohnsey said:
Can't believe I'm in the mainstream on anything. I clean my chain when cold with diesel fuel using my wife's tooth brush then wipe it down with paper towels once per 1,000 miles. I lube the chain with PJ1 Black every 333 miles when the chain is warm wiping off the excess with paper towels. PJ1 Black makes a mess of yer rear wheel and swing arm but it gives yer bike that hardcore world traveler look.
Sounds like a poser thing to me. j/k :lol: :wink:

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
sneaky said:
I just use WD-40 and some rags to clean mine. Then ride it around the block and apply Maius Chain Wax to mine after that and let it sit until the wax has had some time to dry.
Same Same

·
Registered
131 Posts
I used to have problems with fling and the PJ-1 Blue Label when I used Wd-40 or Jet-B to clean. There was always a residue which didn't let the lube stick to the chain. This Motul stuff evaporates away when you are doen.

I would do this cleaning in the evening, go for a quick spin to ensure a warm chain and then lube. The next day I could do a 800 km day at silly bugger spedds and have maybe half a dozen spots of lube on the the undertail. At $10CAN a can, give it a try.

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
fling shming, just get the chain warm, preferably after a ride, i lay a crappy towel on the belly pan there so nothing sprays all over it and then "spray" the ingrediants in that direction, take wd-40 and spray in on the rag and then spin the tire and spray in on the chain, then sping the tire while have the rag on the chain cleaning it, then let it dry out for a few min, lube the chian and your done. 10min tops. i do it like every month or 500mil or so, just depends.

·
PostWhore
13,496 Posts
http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1=52&L2=&L3=&L4=&item=TUC_31-7121

i use that to start with after a ride, then ill use a rag soaked in some wd-40 to get the remaining crud off.... apply some chain lube while the chain is still warm....and apply it to the underside of the chain so that if it slings, it slings through the chain, not off it.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I spray my chain on the underside also, helps keep the flinging down to a minimum.

I tried the silkolen stuff and hated it, flung off all of the time and made the chain look dirty all of the time. I used it twice then gave the can away and bought some more Chain wax to use from then on...

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
guess not if ya don't get over 60mph. :lol:

BD

1 - 20 of 24 Posts