Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
FEELING LUCKY, PUNK ?
5,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
HOW TO: 3rd Gen AIS Removal / Block Off Plates install

This how-to assumes you have some experience working with your bike, which includes taking the seat/tank/airbox off so that you have access to the AIS system.

Step 1
Remove seat

Step 2
Remove tank

Step 3
Remove airbox

Step 4
On the picture below:
  1. Remove ALL YELLOW PARTS
  2. You can either plug the HOSE (RED LINE), or just plug the tip with a hose plug/vacuum plug.
  3. Leave the HOSE (BLUE LINE) alone and let it vent to air. Or you can use a T-Tap and connect it to the tank's vent hose (GREEN). REMEMBER: The TANK VENT and the BLUE LINE must vent to air.
  4. On the throttle bodies, you can either plug the tips in RED CIRCLES or plug the hoses in BLUE CIRCLES.

Step 5
Remove stock block off plates and put in your aftermarket ones.
What to remove: RED
What to install : BLUE
See pic:

Installed, see pic:

Step 6
Jump the connector with a piece of wire to avoid getting the FI light.
See pics:

Step 7
Plug the air box.
See pics:

Final Steps:
Put everything back together: airbox, tank, seat, etc.
Congrats! You're done!

Alternative:
http://www.zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=79926

Credits (for photos i stole here in the forum)
Venom132
TENN10
MagicMavis

·
FEELING LUCKY, PUNK ?
5,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'll keep this here in the Performance and Tech section until everything is perfected out.
Then, we can move it to the how-to section.
Suggestions, comments, please :)

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Well put together.:eek:ccasion1

This should be alot of help to anyone that hasn't done this mod. before.

I think that the best feedback from a "How To" will be from those who try it for the first time. They will be better at pointing out what might be missing or is difficult to understand.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
My Input will be the first Gens did not require a Block off kit and the 3rd Gen shouldn't as well. I would not use a link but point that out right away with picture/s because I would bet many do this Mod to Rid the canister and other hoses ...other than that looks good :thumbsup:

bloo

·
All show and all go 10r
5,921 Posts
what are the pros and cons of block off plates? is it just weight removal and cleaning it up or does it improve performance somehow?

·
Registered
139 Posts
I hate to sound like a newb but what is the deal with this Mod. Help me

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
what are the pros and cons of block off plates? is it just weight removal and cleaning it up or does it improve performance somehow?
i believe installing the block off plates allows you to tune your bike just that more accurate.

but thats all of the benefits ive heard, other than the weight savings

in the 1st picture, the parts highlited in red...is that the charcoal canister??

·
FEELING LUCKY, PUNK ?
5,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i believe installing the block off plates allows you to tune your bike just that more accurate.

in the 1st picture, the parts highlited in red...is that the charcoal canister??
here

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
when you plug the tubes that go in too the airbox (one tube upper left side removed) the tube on the lower right side of the airbox is plugged (carterventilation i think) you leave the rest of the tube wich comes from the carter open? or you plug it to ?

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
when you plug the tubes that go in too the airbox (one tube upper left side removed) the tube on the lower right side of the airbox is plugged (carterventilation i think) you leave the rest of the tube wich comes from the carter open? or you plug it to ?
I'm not familiar with the 1st or 2nd Gen. bikes, but I think the tube in the lower right of your airbox is your carter ventilation (crankcase vent).

You definately do not want to plug that.

Leaving it unplugged and open isn't a good idea either. You leave an open hole for water and debris to get into your case. You also have a small amount of oil misting out from time to time. It needs to be connected or filtered in some way.

Your probably better off just leaving it connected to the airbox. It is not a part of "this" mod.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I think what you are saying is correct but in the pictures you can see this connection on the airbox beeing plugged (it is part of this modification ) so I wondered what he did to the crankcase vent tube . Did he leave it open or did he put some kind of flter on it ?

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
I think what you are saying is correct but in the pictures you can see this connection on the airbox beeing plugged (it is part of this modification ) so I wondered what he did to the crankcase vent tube . Did he leave it open or did he put some kind of flter on it ?
This pic.?

I took that picture standing in front of the bike. What appears to be lower right is the upper left corner of an 08.

Notice the angle of the stacks.:eek:ccasion1

·
Registered
16 Posts
:beer2::beer2::beer2:
This pic.?

I took that picture standing in front of the bike. What appears to be lower right is the upper left corner of an 08.

Notice the angle of the stacks.:eek:ccasion1
sorry for the misunderstanding but there where 2 pictures (one with a yellow plug and one with a tube cut of and plugged) that is why i thougt the 2 openings where plugged,and of course the way the pictures were taken:beer2:

·
Registered
1,600 Posts

just did mine and i lost a lot of weight i took everything off , runs great , i had mine dyno all ready but some day mite do it again to see if it made a difference , but just taking all that shit off made it worth it for me

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
This is NOT a performance mod.

Look into the actual purpose of the AIS.

The short version...

The AIS injects air/oxygen into the exhaust. This combined with the heat of the exhaust will ignite any unburnt gas fumes.

With aftermarket exhaust obviously the mapping is different and often causes excessive popping on decel. That is why we remove and block off the AIS.

No performance gains with this.

Crankcase vent mod. is a similar mod. and good for a small gain.

·
Registered
16 Posts
This is NOT a performance mod.

Look into the actual purpose of the AIS.

The short version...

The AIS injects air/oxygen into the exhaust. This combined with the heat of the exhaust will ignite any unburnt gas fumes.

With aftermarket exhaust obviously the mapping is different and often causes excessive popping on decel. That is why we remove and block off the AIS.

No performance gains with this.

Crankcase vent mod. is a similar mod. and good for a small gain.
can someone show me the best way to do a crankcase vent mod.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts