Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been a pretty average start to my week, most days when the weather is OK I walk to work, its a good 4K's (2.5miles) and listening to the radio really gets my mind into order by the time I get there.

This past Monday I witnessed something I never wish to see again, I was approaching the first major intersection to cross and the lights were still green in the direction I was going so even though the walking signal was red I thought I would make a run for it, as I approached the lights turned amber and the first of two cars waiting to turn proceeded to clear the intersection, the first car made it and the second car began to make his turn, at this point I stood there in total silence and couldn't even here the radio, all I could see was a motorcycle helmet approaching the last car clearing the intersection, as many of you know two solid moving objects cannot exist in the same space in time :headshake

The next 10 seconds went like slow motion, first came the bang and then the body came over the top of the car, it proceeded to do two somersaults before landing about 5 metres away right in front of me on the road :eyecrazy:

The guy jumps out of his car and is running around trying to convince people he was in the right while this guy lay totally lifeless on the road, he was out cold before he landed, I looked at the car and saw the windscreen broken even though the bike hit the side of it, I looked at the guy on the road and could see his face was bleeding quite badly while this other cage driver is attempting to take his helmet off, quickly putting two and two together I worked out the guys head hit the cars pillar causing the screen to break, I yelled at this clown to leave the helmet alone and let the paramedics sort it out, this guy could have a broken neck or a split skull hitting the car with such force.

About 5-10 minutes pass and the first of two ambulances arrived, the first being a normal one and the second what we call a MICA in Oz, Mobile Intensive Care Ambulance.
I watched these guys go about there business and they worked on the guy for 20 minutes on the road, they then picked him up and put him into the MICA where they stayed a further 15 odd minutes, thinking back now I suspect he was a lot worse than he looked.
I walked over to the bike which I identified as a CBR250 Fireblade, I helped another guy pick it up and move it to the centre island and discovered learner plates on it, a quick at the guy in the ambulance confirmed my suspicions, this guy would be lucky to be 18 :sad:

Two days have passed and I am still wondering what happened to the guy, road rules would dictate the bike being in the wrong making a last minute dash for the amber but the cager also admitted he didn't see the bike, classic call but it also makes him somewhat guilty as well, in the end the bike lost.
I can replay this whole incident over and over in my head but it makes you think how quick things can turn to shit in the space of 10 seconds, if this guy dies or has sustained a lifelong injury it makes me sad to think I saw the last moments of his life where he was able bodied and healthy. :sad:

Sorry for the long rant guys, I just thought I would share this story with you and make us all think how vulnerable we are out on the roads, I have since ridden the 10 and will continue to do so, it will take more than this to deter me but it does make you wonder why we do it sometimes :badteeth:

Btw the young kid only had a helmet and a textile jacket on, seeing he didn't slide he got away with not having gloves and lower body protection.

Keep it safe out there guys, you just never know whats around the next corner :headshake

·
Registered
764 Posts
Yes. It's very sobering.

It's interesting the different philosophies of emergency care between the US and other countries. I know many countries prefer what you described as having mobile intensive care units do most of the work to stabilize the patient on scene. Here in the States we have a different philosophy. I used to volunteer with my local rescue squad so I have some pretty good insights on this. In that situation, if I was the responding unit, I would have done a load and go. There is a rule called the Golden Hour where from call dispatch to dropping the patient off at the hospital should not exceed one hour. For my station we aspire to the Platinum 30 and sometimes even less than that where from call to patient drop off is less than 30 minutes. I typically operate and am trained at the basic life support level. With that said I have three options in the above case if I were to respond to that call. First would be like I said...a load and go. Stabilize the patient as best I can and high tail it to the nearest trauma center. The second option I would have would also be a load and go but call for a rendevous with an ALS (advanced life support) unit along the way to the trauma center. The ALS unit would intercept us enroute and then we would transfer the patient where the paramedics can establish a line and hook up the patient to a heart monitor and pulse/OX. The last option I would have and it is great that in my state of Maryland that we have such excellent coordination of resources is to call in an med-evac. The state police choppers here have state troopers that are trained flight medics. All the choppers also are flying mobile emergency units. If conditions warrant it, I can get on the radio and call in a chopper which would air lift the patient out to the nearest trauma center. I've volunteered in upstate NY before and have seen some of how other state emergency medical services have performed. I would have to say Maryland has one of the best in the country.

Sorry for the ramble. Your story just brought back some memories.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Damn cagers. It's always "I didn't see the bike". As though if it would have been a bigger vehicle, they would have seen it. Thing is, people pull out in front of everything from bikes to SUV's everyday! They are just not paying a lick of attention. Too busy playing with their I-pod, finding a CD, talking on the phone, etc. . . Thing is, if you use the excuse "I didn't see it" when you pulled in front of a Mac truck, people look at you like an idiot. Use the same excuse when you hit a bike, and every other idiot agrees, "True, them things are just plain invisible with their loud pipes and daytime running lights."

My prayers go out to that poor kid and his family. . .

·
Registered
11,624 Posts
Life is full of risks and there are no guarantees. Some of us are lucky, some not. Point is, when it's time, there's not much you can do about it, except see where you end up. I've seen these types of accidents before also, and you can point fingers all you want to. I've been angry at the "cagers", but I've seen riders at fault too. People get distracted (and shouldn't be, but admit it, you have been too) and do stupid and endangering things in/on there vehicles. You just have to be cautious and not assume anything, always leave an "out", but this comes from experience and sometimes experience comes with a high price.
My prayers to the rider.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
how interesting that the biker was laying motionless and the cager was trying to assess blame rather than attend to the injured...that happens more often than we would like to admit...

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
well after reading this i think i would like to share mine.
We went rideing at night. went down town and stoped at a stop light made a right and there was a cross road. well there was a friend of mine on a gsxr600 and i was about...10ft behind him. a car pulled up to cross trafic and had to stop. well they didnt she did the whole "I can make it" thing pulled up and turned right in front of us.Larry my friend made a hard impact in her ftont quarter panell and rolled over the hood. landed right by her front tire on the other side. well she starts to pull forward {dont know if it was to run or just to get out of the road.} but reguardless larrys head was under her tire. He had on a shoei and it took the abuse but she had to back up a little to unpin his helmet. this all happened in like 20 or 30 seconds. Well then she gets out ON THE PHONE!!! she hasnt even got off the phone yet!!!!! larry was able to get up slight fracture to the pelvis from the tank. but we all ride with our gear on so i will say it helped. but remember i was 10ft away from larry.... this woke me up as i havent seen a accident in awhile. Now there is 1 good thing out of this. The girl calls her dad down and larry is feeling his sack and makeing sure his package is ok {because we didnt know it was a broken pelvis at the time} the guy walks up and shakes larrys hand at the same time I about died lauphing! but all in all it turned out ok. larry has a new bike and a healed pelvis and a huge lawsuit pending lol he got lucky and so did I. WEAR YOUR GEAR!

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Wake up call to everyone that think's there invincible...wont, can't, never happen to me people.....shit happen's.

Becareful out there.

Hope the dude made it :headshake

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
R1GSXRKILLER said:
Wake up call to everyone that think's there invincible...wont, can't, never happen to me people.....shit happen's.

Becareful out there.

Hope the dude made it :headshake
:+1:

·
Registered
10,362 Posts
I seen a harley rider and his girl hit the pavement because some lady driving a big suv didn't see them. I rarely ride in the city. I like to take my chances on the open road. Hopefuly the young man survied.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Regardless of who’s at fault 99% of the time a cage and bike mix it up the biker is going to come out on the losing end.

Be safe out there peeps and keep your mind on the ride.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Well I am in the healthcare field so I have seen my share of things over the yrs, but thank god I have not had to witness on like that right in front of me. I have helped after the fact when I came upon an accident in the mountains, but thats it. It is a sobering thing to see though. Hope your doing ok also.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the good input and responses guys and gals, its sometimes all too easy to forget the ugly the side of our hobby/sport, I have read far too many posts of people putting bikes down this year and thankfully most have come out ok, hopefully this guy will pull through too. :cool:

As most Aussie guys on this forum know our Transport Accident Commision (TAC) have very graphic ads on tv of all sorts of crashes, they use shock tactics to open the absent minds people with who drive to try and get it through that the road is a serious place to be and not just some means of getting from A to B, after seeing these ads over the years it made the witnessing of this accident kind of surreal, it was hard to believe what my eyes captured was real or not :eyecrazy:

All in all I do hope he makes it through ok, I also remember the rear of his tank being pushed in so maybe has some pelvic breaks as well, again ride safe peoples :1848:

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
fugg!!!...i almost ate shiot this morning... going to work, let my judgement slip and almost pulled out in front of a car at speed that i couldnt see because of a van in the line of sight...luckily, i hesitated long enough to see him about two feet from his driver side(i was turning left across his lane) he couldnt react and i would'a been serioulsy screwed up...hate to sound like a broken record, but we absolutely have to keep our concentration in traffic... it was my own stupidity...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts