Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Gen2 Ripper
4,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, selling my bike and got a guy wanting to buy it. He is having a shipping company pick it up. Money will be sent to MY paypal account, full payment.
I will be FedX'ng the title overnight once payment clears. This takes 3-5 days to clear at bank. Bike will be shipped/picked up AFTER payment clears.
My question is, how can either party not be scammed? Can the buyer, after a few days file a dispute with paypay saying bike was not as described and now I am out the $ ?
I am trying to figure out a way to make this happen without me being scammed or him feeling he is being scammed.

Thoughts, ideas?

·
BigCat for Prez!
7,229 Posts
OK, selling my bike and got a guy wanting to buy it. He is having a shipping company pick it up. Money will be sent to MY paypal account, full payment.
I will be FedX'ng the title overnight once payment clears. This takes 3-5 days to clear at bank. Bike will be shipped/picked up AFTER payment clears.
My question is, how can either party not be scammed? Can the buyer, after a few days file a dispute with paypay saying bike was not as described and now I am out the $ ?
I am trying to figure out a way to make this happen without me being scammed or him feeling he is being scammed.

Thoughts, ideas?
Did u talk tot his person through email? If so did he say he wanted the bike but wouldnt have time to come see it due to the nature of his work? If so or anything remotely like that its a scam

·
Gen2 Ripper
4,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nah, talked to him in person. Cool guy over the phone. I am just worried that somebody could simply file a paypal dispute and I'd be out bike and cash, you know.

·
Gen2 Ripper
4,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh, he is in military and not back until September. I know, I know sounds like a scam right? But another member on here vouched for him being legit. I don't want to wait until he comes back from deployment to sell and he wants to make sure he gets it.

·
Does not drive into smoke
2,156 Posts
Make sure you get a confirmation of delivery. Get shipping insurance, take pics of the bike when the shipping company comes to pick it up. They usually do a check and take note of any damage anyways.

Edit: Are you shipping the bike to his house? Who is going to receive it?

Make a copy of the title for your own records.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Don't do it. If they have your Paypal info, they can hack your account and scam your card or account linked with Paypal.

My thinking is, if he can send money over paypal, he can send you funds that you don't have to clear with your Paypal or whatever. Can't he forward you the money to one of his bank branches and give you permission to collect?

I had someone scam my AMEX card connected to my paypal, and they ran up some charges. AMEX caught it and stopped it pretty quick, but it's just not worth the hassle. If someone vouched for him on here, have this guy get the cash for ya.

I'm always very suspicious of everyone!

·
Gen2 Ripper
4,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Make sure you get a confirmation of delivery. Get shipping insurance, take pics of the bike when the shipping company comes to pick it up. They usually do a check and take note of any damage anyways.
Cool. Thanks.

·
Does not drive into smoke
2,156 Posts
One more thing---write down an agreement on how this transaction will happen (i.e. you get the payment, then you send the title, then the bike is shipped, etc.) Write down name of the person who is going to receive the bike in the absence of the buyer, VIN of the bike, etc. Sign it and get his signature (scan/email, fax, etc.)

It may seem like being paranoid, but you'll sleep a lot better at night. :)

·
Registered
994 Posts
Don't do it. If they have your Paypal info, they can hack your account and scam your card or account linked with Paypal.

My thinking is, if he can send money over paypal, he can send you funds that you don't have to clear with your Paypal or whatever. Can't he forward you the money to one of his bank branches and give you permission to collect?

I had someone scam my AMEX card connected to my paypal, and they ran up some charges. AMEX caught it and stopped it pretty quick, but it's just not worth the hassle. If someone vouched for him on here, have this guy get the cash for ya.

Do this. Forget Paypal. If he is a soldier coming home from deployment he HAS the $ and should have no problem doing this.

·
Starbucks Connoisseur
4,371 Posts
Ask him if he likes Starbucks.

His answer should give you a better idea.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Hi all, i'm interested in this thread as i've been wondering how to go about paying for a bike that i'm looking at purchasing from a fellow member on here, my situation is that i am in New Zealand and the the bike is in the US so i would have to have it shipped over, i have not used paypal before so am not sure what the best way to go about doing this is, i'm sure the member is very trustworthy and i have no doubts about that as they have answered every question i have asked and will be supplying some more images of the bike for me.

No doubt he is probably thinking the same thing about me, being in another country and all.

What would be the best way to go about doing the deal and keeping everyone happy :dontknow:

·
Supercharged Mod
4,392 Posts
Hi all, i'm interested in this thread as i've been wondering how to go about paying for a bike that i'm looking at purchasing from a fellow member on here, my situation is that i am in New Zealand and the the bike is in the US so i would have to have it shipped over, i have not used paypal before so am not sure what the best way to go about doing this is, i'm sure the member is very trustworthy and i have no doubts about that as they have answered every question i have asked and will be supplying some more images of the bike for me.

No doubt he is probably thinking the same thing about me, being in another country and all.

What would be the best way to go about doing the deal and keeping everyone happy :dontknow:
The FIRST thing to do, even before thinking about how to make the transaction and shipping happen, is to make sure that your customs and vehicle registration departments are OK with registering and licensing a US-specification vehicle in your country!

I know that going in the other direction (rest-of-world to US/Canada) is absolutely impossible unless the vehicle is 15 (Canada) / 25 (USA) years old. The authorities absolutely will not accept a vehicle that was not certified by the original manufacturer that it conforms to Canadian / US federal motor vehicle safety standards. And you can't just apply that sticker yourself, either - it's tracked by VIN, and no matter how trivial the difference between Canadian and rest-of-world standards, you are not allowed to convert it and no one other than the original vehicle manufacturer can make that declaration.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Thanks GOFASTER however the bike i am looking at will be used solely on the track and never used on the road over here so relicensing is not an issue, all we have to do is pay gst on the bike when it comes into the country.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts

This gets my vote. I recently put my triumph up for sale on craigslist. Within a couple hours i got the "i will pay asking price for your bike, i'd like to complete this transaction in person, but the nature of my work blah blah blah, certified paypal yada yada. I texted back no thanks.

Even if you THINK this guy is legit, to me it's just too big a risk in my mind.

·
Gen2 Ripper
4,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So you guys think paypal is outta the question then. So, if this person is unable to physically be here when bike gets picked up to pay for it, what else is there? Aside from me going to some bank to collect the money, which I never heard of doing before.
How's about certified check sent to me? Gotta be a way that people buy/sell vehicles all the time online do it and I thought using paypal was a Legit/safe way to receive payment.

I really wish someone would just come to my house with the cash,lol. That would be ideal. Then buyer rides away happily.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Read the craigslist scams on their site. Other than a phone call and voucher this reads like a classic scam.

If the person wants the bike a wire transfer to your account bank to bank could be done.

Sent from my iPhone on an over priced data plan

·
Gen2 Ripper
4,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Read the craigslist scams on their site. Other than a phone call and voucher this reads like a classic scam.

If the person wants the bike a wire transfer to your account bank to bank could be done.

Sent from my iPhone on an over priced data plan
But then the person will have my account info.??

I asked for HIS address bike will be shipped to and I also asked for HIS paypal address that way I can do a " money request " from my end to his paypal address. In that " request" I can add notes like " sender is buying a used bike as is, no refunds" etc. Then I wait for his paypal money transfer to my account to CLEAR into my bank account.

I'm so nervous about this I am about to just say screw it and not go through with it. But I have talked to him over the phone. I am waiting to see if he sends me his paypal address and also the address where the bike will be shipped to so i can verify his info.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I don't know how much something like Western Union would charge. I know they probably do a percentage, which might get into who is going to absorb the fee, buyer or seller. I'm with Quick10 on the USPS money order idea.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts