Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I recently wreck my 08 10r and filed an insurance claim. The bike was found totalled, and I took the check and bought the bike back. All the bodywork on the bike is present but trashed, the Hindle exhaust can and mid-pipe are trashed (header is good), engine case is scraped but holds oil. Tank is fine, subframe seems fine, frame is untouched, swingarm is untouched, forks and wheels are untouched, tires only have 500 miles on them, and the bike definitely still rides perfectly straight (rode it about 100 miles home). Keeping all this in mind and the fact it is now a salvage title, how much could I sell the bike for? I had thought about parting it out, but if a person wanted to give me enough for the bike I would hand it over how it sits. This thread is more curiousity and exploring my options, but if anyone was interested I could definitely snag some pictures.

Thanks gents :eek:ccasion1

·
Registered
641 Posts
Hey guys,

I recently wreck my 08 10r and filed an insurance claim. The bike was found totalled, and I took the check and bought the bike back. All the bodywork on the bike is present but trashed, the Hindle exhaust can and mid-pipe are trashed (header is good), engine case is scraped but holds oil. Tank is fine, subframe seems fine, frame is untouched, swingarm is untouched, forks and wheels are untouched, tires only have 500 miles on them, and the bike definitely still rides perfectly straight (rode it about 100 miles home). Keeping all this in mind and the fact it is now a salvage title, how much could I sell the bike for? I had thought about parting it out, but if a person wanted to give me enough for the bike I would hand it over how it sits. This thread is more curiousity and exploring my options, but if anyone was interested I could definitely snag some pictures.

Thanks gents :eek:ccasion1

It's worth what someone is willing to pay. I'd buy a cheap set of aftermarket bodywork, maybe one of those kids they sell on ebay or whatever...should cost less than $500. Or get some crashed, but not destroyed bodywork on it. Put in less than a grand or so to replace only vital parts, and off the thing for $3-4K.

0y uncle lives in Wilmington right accross the street from Hoggard High, and that's where my dad grew up. Just got out there for a visit last May. Good times!

Good Luck!!!

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool deal, I thought about fixing it up and riding it, but I'd rather see what I could get out of the bike first and maybe go in a different direction on something else.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
I've seen a few ads for race bike take off bodywork. Complete OEM sets usually run $1000 or so.

Then it'll be good as new!

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
^Another valid point, and the thought has definitely crossed my mind.

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
maybe put some race bodywork on it and make it a track bike or just sell as is and get ya something else??? depending on how much you got it for if under $2000 then if it was me id prob make it a track bike and buy something else for less for the street ?? but might make more money parting it out ?? good luck with what ever ya do ..

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
maybe put some race bodywork on it and make it a track bike or just sell as is and get ya something else??? depending on how much you got it for if under $2000 then if it was me id prob make it a track bike and buy something else for less for the street ?? but might make more money parting it out ?? good luck with what ever ya do ..
Unfortunately I have no interest in having an all out track bike right now (a 1000cc track bike at least) so that plan wouldn't work. There's a guy pretty local to me (South Carolina) trying to move a wrecked 3rd gen for about 5 grand, which I don't see ever selling. I had more along the lines of 2 grand in mind for mine. If I could do that I would probably be pretty happy honestly.

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
^^^ yeah Id rather have a 600 for a track bike over the 1000 ... maybe post it on one of the race websites and see if ya get any hits on it
put a price on it to make it sell

·
Registered
137 Posts
If I was in the market for a track bike, I'd pay $2000 for that. My wife would never let me, though. She says I have too many bikes! I didn't think there was such a thing. :dontknow:

How many miles are on it out of curiosity?

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
6200 miles. Well maintained and ridden reasonably (IMO). Never seen the rev-limiter. Changed the oil 5 or 6 times since I got it new, synthetic since 3000 miles. I am honestly still considering fixing it and riding it til the wheels fall off, but this is a good opportunity to get something else shiny and new to me.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
www.racingjunk.com my boss just sold a "steetlegal" in Oklahoma (no emissions or inspection required) low9-high8 second mustang on here. THis is more for cagers but it does have a motorcycle section.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Okay, cool.
I knew what her answer would be but I had to ask her anyway... An emphatic NO! :lol:

I understand where you're coming from, it could be tempting to try out another bike if you like it (so far). If it was me I'd fix the 10R, but I don't really care for any other new motorcycle out there, and I'd want another new one if anything. That's just me, though.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
^It's disturbing how many times I've thought of just getting a new 3rd gen haha.

·
Registered
137 Posts
That's not disturbing, it means only that your just as insane as the rest of us! :mrgreen:

You could change-up and go for a new leftover (still) Candy Plasma Blue '08! They are the fastest (I have actual proof). :cool:

·
Registered
100 Posts
just my opinion but as i understand right now you are in the bike free and clear and you are talking of sellin for 2 grand .. i would put a grand or 1500 in it and make it back pretty and ride the crap out of it .. that makes it 3500 .. you would still be able to sell it for 3500 back together in a year or even a couple years .. if you can show the buyer this is when it was wrecked i put it back together and rode it this long with no problems should be able to sell it and get your money in a few years because they still wont be able to buy a 10 with a normal title for that much .. and also that way could spend the money a new one would cost on some other toy .. you can never have to many toys

·
Registered
648 Posts
Depending on what all it needed to turn it into a track bike, Also, if everything you say is straight except body work? And depending on how much you'd be willing to sale it for? I could very possibly be interested in it! I'm 30 miles west of Charlotte, NC

·
Registered
471 Posts
dude, I would scrape up 2k and drive out there and get it. call me crazy, but if I were you, I would fix it, ride it, and sell it later when you find something else that catches your eye.

I'm just sayin.......

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah, it is really very hard to decide what to do in this situation. I love the bike and I'd love to fix it up, but at the same time for some reason I can't stop looking at Ducatis.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts