Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2016, Initially I shimmed mine 3mm but recently I replaced the air filter and added another 2mm (5mm total). It seems to have helped. Has anyone shimmed theirs more than 5mm? My Gen4, 2014, was shimmed about 8mm.

·
Formerly CLCRACINGAaron
465 Posts
Seems like a reasonable number. A 4mm change in ride height (front or rear) usually means about 1mm change in your trail numbers. With the stock trail being very long at 105+mm, I'd say you are the right track. Pay attention to your front tire wear in case there's something missed but you should be good to go.

I'll be flipping my swingarm insert on my '16 before testing at Road Atlanta Saturday. Hopefully there some good things there...

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,970 Posts
Man, where are the experts when you need them? These threads should be for the members LDH and evallarta who have vastly more knowledge on this topic than most could offer.

With that said, there is no magic number here. It's all about your goals, how you ride the bike, and what you're looking for from it. Plus, it would help with a reference number as to what you're measuring from. 8mm total? Or 8mm over stock? I went +3mm over stock which measured out at 5mm. I measured out at 8mm total. That was a good compromise number for me. Are you accounting for the stock shock mount collar in there or not? :dontknow: If you're +5mm with the collar in, that seems high to me. And what are you looking to gain that you aren't already?

Increasing the height changes a ton of stuff. Rake decreases, trail decreases, turn-in increases, and instability increases. There's a fine line between making it easier to ride and making it harder to ride. What works for you is not likely to be the same thing that works for me. And vice versa.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I put my 2016 on my Buddy Eric's fancy geometry machine the day I bought it back in May of '16. I shimmed mine 10mm initially but dropped it back to 5mm which I feels a lot better "for me". I didn't have a lot of trust in the front with 10mm.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,970 Posts
I put my 2016 on my Buddy Eric's fancy geometry machine the day I bought it back in May of '16. I shimmed mine 10mm initially but dropped it back to 5mm which I feels a lot better "for me". I didn't have a lot of trust in the front with 10mm.
Good posting! Stock shock mount collar in or out though? Stock height plus 5mm?

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Too many variables.

What tires are you using?
What's your swingarm length?
What is your shock length?
What's your swingarm angle/anti-squat right now?
Where are your forks sitting?
What spring rate/preload are you sitting at?
What specifically are you having trouble with in the bike?

Bottom line is you have to take in ALL the variables to consider where to go. BUT with that being said, if you're looking to play and see what different things do, there is no "magic number". If you want to shim more, shim it and see what it feels like, you can ALWAYS go back. The key is make sure you have enough thread engagement on the nut to the shock mount.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
You just put it back to 5mm because your feet didnt touch the ground...

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,970 Posts
Too many variables.

What tires are you using?
What's your swingarm length?
What is your shock length?
What's your swingarm angle/anti-squat right now?
Where are your forks sitting?
What spring rate/preload are you sitting at?
What specifically are you having trouble with in the bike?

Bottom line is you have to take in ALL the variables to consider where to go. BUT with that being said, if you're looking to play and see what different things do, there is no "magic number". If you want to shim more, shim it and see what it feels like, you can ALWAYS go back. The key is make sure you have enough thread engagement on the nut to the shock mount.
Aaaaannnnnnnnddddddd there he is! :ayyy:

·
Я - Ребен&#108
2016 ZX10R Race & 2016 ZX10R Street
3,682 Posts
lol

I was about to post, but looks like if I do not write a bibles worth of info ill get hammered.

the best bike I ever rode/raced was my gen 4..... until a week ago when I did some tweaking. Now the Gen 5 is more stable than my Gen 4, more flicable and what not. I do have an ohlins in the rear... I did adjust the ride hight, I did add additional shims, I did pull the rear wheels back a good amount, but traditional race amount, I did raise the fork tubes in the tripple, and I run a taller tire than stock.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
lol

I was about to post, but looks like if I do not write a bibles worth of info ill get hammered.

the best bike I ever rode/raced was my gen 4..... until a week ago when I did some tweaking. Now the Gen 5 is more stable than my Gen 4, more flicable and what not. I do have an ohlins in the rear... I did adjust the ride hight, I did add additional shims, I did pull the rear wheels back a good amount, but traditional race amount, I did raise the fork tubes in the tripple, and I run a taller tire than stock.
Not enough info!

:spankbw:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts