Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

how much H.P. do the NHRA dragbike's put out?

17K views 24 replies 16 participants last post by  Totalcycle 
#1 ·
I was curious after watching the NHRA dragbike's last evening on tv how much H.P those bikes are putting out, also i didnt realize that most of the field is buells/HD'S, i dont watch drag racing much but i must say watching the big boys run was pretty entertaining.

#3 ·
the pro sport bike's which most are busa with turbo's have 360 to 380 with no wheelie (run low 7.20's) bar's the pro stock bike's that run in NHRA have about the same but have wheelie bars and slick's

#7 ·
uhh....... i do know that top fuel F/C and top fuel rail car's are in the 7000-8000 hp range, there's no-way those bike's could be putting out 1500H.P i dont think the pro-stock cars are putting that much out.

#9 ·
The only NHRA motorcycle class I am aware of, is Pro stock. Those bikes make around320-330 RWHP. Might be a little bit higher.

Top fuel bikes are not NHRA
Top fuel dragsters are rumored to have 7000 hp

#10 · (Edited)
Here is a link to a Steve Johnson article.

http://www.knfilters.com/news/news.aspx?ID=223

$100/HP...not bad...

Plus this is a clipping from the NHRA site:

Pro Stock Motorcycles: Producing more than 300 horsepower, these highly modified motorcycles can cover the quarter-mile in less than 7.0 seconds at more than 195 mph. The chromoly steel chassis is cloaked in a lightweight, aerodynamically enhanced replica of the original motorcycle body, and the carbureted gasoline engine may be a Harley V-twin, a two-valve, or a four-valve.

#11 ·
The top fuel bikes put out around 1,000 but, they are in a different series. Nitromethane and a supercharger really boosts power.

Link to bike info
http://www.larrymcbride.com/bikespecs.htm
Link to 5.79 1/4 mile pass

#19 ·
All 14 mph on the back half is kinda funny compared to the first half. Alltogether amazing though!

#22 ·
Not that I have anything against a little verbal bitchslapping :lol:, but the bigger point is being missed here. The question was how much do the NHRA bikes put out.

NHRA only runs Pro Stock Bike (160" displacement Vtwins, 101" inline fours, normally aspirated), and they go 6.90s-7.teens at high 190s-200s and make around 350 HP.

Top Fuel (McBrides motor undoubtedly makes 1500 plus), Funnybike, Pro Mod, and the 600HP no-bar street-tire classes (Pro street, Super Street) are all AMA Prostar classes which run an entirely different schedule under a different sanctioning body and have absolutely nothing in common with the NHRA rules. Even the Pro Stock bikes (no longer running in AMA) were different.

#23 ·
NHRA only runs Pro Stock Bike
(160" displacement Vtwins, 101" inline fours, normally aspirated),
and they go 6.90s-7.teens at high 190s-200s and make around 350 HP.
PRO STOCK MOTORCYCLE E/T RECORD 6.871
06/23/07 Angelle Sampey - Mathews, LA.
'03 Suzuki Englishtown, NJ.

PRO STOCK MOTORCYCLE MPH RECORD 197.45
03/19/05 Andrew Hines - Brownsburg, IN.
'04 HD V-Rod Gainesville, FL

From www.NHRA.com

Red, *<:){)-

#24 ·
Years ago at Mile High Nationals here in Denver I had the oppt to talk to Craig Treble about his bike, racing, etc. He told me that his bike made approx 325 horse to the wheel depending on the tune. That was several years ago so one could guess that somewhere between 325-350 is a realistic number.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.