Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
When someone asks that type or question it is normally in wanting to weigh the cost difference and is it worth the extra $$$$$ well yes it is. Its future proof all forward going improvement by Kawasaki on the Race Ready head will be based on the finger follower, in short if you have the money then you are better spending the extra on that otherwise you are just going to be playing at trying to catch up.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
BOOM! Thank you for a definitive answer! I agree. I believe the finger follower change is significant. I wonder how it affects valve adjustments...

·
Registered
18 zx10r
166 Posts
Street rider: no difference. Track rider: no difference. Pro racer: the valves aren't as likely to float, use different angles...

About Those Finger Followers On Sportbike Engines

When Kawasaki recently switched its ZX-10R literbike from inverted bucket tappets to finger followers, the project leader on that model, Seiji Azuma, had this to say about the change:

"To gain low-end torque you want a shorter duration (shorter total valve-open time), however for top-end power you need a higher lift [maximum opening of the valve], which requires a very aggressive profile on the cam [i.e., a high rate of valve acceleration as it opens], which you can achieve using finger followers but not [with] a bucket-and-shim system."

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is that to say that the bucket and shim system provides more bottom end torque ?

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,810 Posts
Is that to say that the bucket and shim system provides more bottom end torque ?
No, that's not the jist of it. The finger followers are implemented to provide the WSBK race team with more reliability, more tuning, and more options associated with that. The shim under bucket design is easier and cheaper to produce, which is what normal buyers want - lower prices. The finger followers give more reliability when operating the motor at high RPM for extended periods of time. Like in a race. They can accommodate a more agresssive profile to help give some more low-end response without suffering the high-end performance. But that's not something that racers care about. The difference is negligible to the vast majority of the people buying the bike off the showroom. What they can do with that design is why they buy it. Most race rules won't let you modify the engine enough to add finger followers if they don't come like that from the factory, so now they do.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I see...thank you very much guys for the great info. I know the new finger follow engines have a few more hp

·
Registered
704 Posts
More HP is mostly due to lighter components and higher rev range. The finger followers simply allow a steeper cam.
I dont believe the new engine has a different cam.

·
Registered
230 Posts
More HP is mostly due to lighter components and higher rev range. The finger followers simply allow a steeper cam.
I dont believe the new engine has a different cam.

this^^^

the finger followers allow the race teams to install more aggressive cams with steeper (faster) ramp rates without having to worry about valve float that might have been experienced with an aggressive cam on the old setup. *and also allows higher RPM without fear of valve float.

if the 19+ cam has been changed from the 16-18 cam, that could account for the extra power, but i have not read any info regarding that, maybe someone can check the cam specs and lets us know.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts