Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search and did not come up with a thread which had the actual number this is supposed to be...

I noticed when I was cleaning and lubing my chain last that it feels very loose but I am not sure what the correct slack is supposed to be?

Also, is the slack number the entire range of the chain motion at the mid-way point (i.e as far down to as far up as it goes) or is it half that number (i.e. from the middle of the range to one extreme)?

thanks

·
inappropriate
7,728 Posts
about an inch from top to bottom. its in your service manual.

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
I did a search and did not come up with a thread which had the actual number this is supposed to be...

I noticed when I was cleaning and lubing my chain last that it feels very loose but I am not sure what the correct slack is supposed to be?

Also, is the slack number the entire range of the chain motion at the mid-way point (i.e as far down to as far up as it goes) or is it half that number (i.e. from the middle of the range to one extreme)?

thanks
1.5" is a solid guideline but as we know its not the same as you rotate the wheel so what you need to do is find a given point in the chain thats not tight nor real loose and adjust to 1.5". When the chain becomes worn and the tight/loose spots become xtreme its time to replace it.

BD

·
Registered
168 Posts
Manual says . . .

I just checked mine yesterday, per the handy service manual supplied with the bike; 1.2 to 1.5 inches.

After riding for 30+ years though, let me say that I've never seen a bad problem result from a too loose chain versus a way over tightened chain. Just some jerkiness to clutch/throttle inputs. But, I've sure seen some big BREAKS from riding buddies who went too tight. Around here they are "fixing" the roads and the big "bumps" up and down has really exercised the limits of my swingarm travel. Yee Hah!

:ninja:

·
Registered
169 Posts
When you check/adjust your chain, do you do it on the sidestand or on a rear swingarm stand? As I recall, the operator's manual says to check it on the sidestand, but that is difficult. What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
When you check/adjust your chain, do you do it on the sidestand or on a rear swingarm stand? As I recall, the operator's manual says to check it on the sidestand, but that is difficult. What are your thoughts?

absolutely positively on the sidestand or balanced straight up.

BD

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
I got ya...i thought when you ment balanced straight up you meant on a stand but you just mean balanced while rear tire is on the ground.

Now it all makes sense.

:shortbus:

·
Registered
29 Posts
I removed shock linkage bolt and moved rear wheel up to the point where the chain is most tight.
Result: Minimum needed chain slack is 2in. This is with 3mm shim at shock mount and measured with the bike on the swingam stand.
What i have seen past 30 years is that 90% of bike owners and mechanics adjust their chain too tight.
Hope this helps.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts