Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
10 psi is pretty high for a stock internal bike. the biggest thing is to make sure the bike isnt running lean at all through the boost range. i have been running mine at 8 psi this whole season and she has been running great, but i actually have her a bit at on the top end to try and cool her down. what are you using to control your fueling?

·
Registered
226 Posts
i for one would deff not trust my build on a bazzaz tune alone, or even a unit with the auto tune. if you are looking for a fairly reliable, fairly tunable build go with a better pump and a begi. if you are lookin for the safest, easiest, and (in my oppinion) best long term unit you should really look into investing in a full stage 2 system. turbos can be funny builds and can be tough to tune safely so to me it was worth the money to build it right (or even overbuild) it the first time and not worry about it

·
Guilty by association
8,751 Posts
Are you gonna use it as an everyday rider? I would go considerably lower than maximum limitations if so, just to be safe. I however have no clue as to what the parameters are concerning boost.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I ran 8lbs along with a 20 shot from a wet NOS system on an engine I just pulled, and it stayed together ok.
I keep two engines ready to go, aside from fresh bearing, rings and seals my motors are stock with the oil psi set at 70psi hot.
I have had serious bearing issues with these engines and it makes no difference what rods and pistons your using.
I watch my oil psi to determine when to change to a fresh engine before doing serious damage. The rod bearings on the last engine were so worn that my exhaust valves on 3 of the cylinders were contacting the pistons .
when I pulled the oil pan it was full of black goo (bearings) but none spun.
With these engines it's not a matter of what I get but more a matter of when do I get it?
I went with the NOS to keep the intake charge cooler and run lower boost.
It works ok.

·
T Double D
870 Posts
7-8psi is the stock internal boost pressure without grenading your motor bazzaz is a joke do not run it see if anyone has broken your computers code yet and run it just modded im running 21psi on pump gas with built motors on stock ecu;s just coded by the right people and power commander is the standard on these systems if no one can do the stock ecu i know the zx14's ecu has been broken but dont know about the 2nd gen zx10 do run a blowoff valve and run a good system dont skimp if you wanna do it right and give it some time before you shut it off after you run it hard

see blow off and tacked down intake manifold so it doesnt come off under boost just do your homework

Attachments

·
Registered
226 Posts
unfortunately there is a ton different between these little 10 motors and those of the busas'. you are deff right about the bearing wear and oiling issues for sure. but the litre bikes are no where near as hearty inside. i am surprised you are running your pressure that high too. i am running right around 55lbs hot, i found she burns it and it even seaps past the seals when i went higher. but i guess if it works for you then thats great. what size compressors are you guys running? also to the op, there is a member on here named dsabat, he is a guru when it comes to building very fast, reliable, turbo 10s. hit him up or do a seach for him, he is a great guy to ask questions to as well. good luck with the build and like ratfink said keep doin your homework and i am sure she will run fine

·
Registered
819 Posts
I would not reccomend that much boost on a stock motor. If you can afford to build it then do so. If you cannot afford to build it then keep the boost low. Is it going to be stretched or SWB?

·
Registered
346 Posts
I would not reccomend that much boost on a stock motor. If you can afford to build it then do so. If you cannot afford to build it then keep the boost low. Is it going to be stretched or SWB?
The bearings in my motors dont last long enough to see a first oil change. I dont even bother breaking them in, just straight to the dyno.
I also run 110 race gas in my bike, along with the .018 HG for the higher CR.
Hows your drag bike project going?

·
Banned
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The bearings in my motors dont last long enough to see a first oil change. I dont even bother breaking them in, just straight to the dyno.
I also run 110 race gas in my bike, along with the .018 HG for the higher CR.
Hows your drag bike project going?
how are you killing these motors?

·
Registered
346 Posts
how are you killing these motors?
They just cant take the abuse. They hold together for awhile, 2k to 3k miles between rebuilds, but no more.
Im pulling 250hp from an engine that was built to make 145, its gunna break.
Im finnishing up an install and will post some pics soon.

6psi is safe on pump gas if you dont beat on it hard.

·
Banned
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
They just cant take the abuse. They hold together for awhile, 2k to 3k miles between rebuilds, but no more.
Im pulling 250hp from an engine that was built to make 145, its gunna break.
Im finnishing up an install and will post some pics soon.

6psi is safe on pump gas if you dont beat on it hard.
Well what's failing? bearings? head gaskets? valves? I've boosted 90hp engine with 26psi before, made a lot more power, did blow a head gasket on it once, but besides that I beat on it for 3 years, 70k miles ( engine hit 200k miles), took it to the track, ran 33 psi with 110 octane at the track, advanced timing, it was fine.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Well what's failing? bearings? head gaskets? valves? I've boosted 90hp engine with 26psi before, made a lot more power, did blow a head gasket on it once, but besides that I beat on it for 3 years, 70k miles ( engine hit 200k miles), took it to the track, ran 33 psi with 110 octane at the track, advanced timing, it was fine.
Mains go first, then the rods.
And if you boost it hard, abuse it while its hot, its going to press the main bearings into the cases. At that point rebuilding it becomes a waste of time.
The stock valves also sink into the head under hard abuse. I adjust my valves every 300 miles, havnt broken any yet.
I have never heard of anyone boosting a zx10 @ 26psi and have it live.
8psi is my limit, but im spraying a wet shot also to get things done quicker.
What engine are you talking about?

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Mains go first, then the rods.
And if you boost it hard, abuse it while its hot, its going to press the main bearings into the cases. At that point rebuilding it becomes a waste of time.
The stock valves also sink into the head under hard abuse. I adjust my valves every 300 miles, havnt broken any yet.
I have never heard of anyone boosting a zx10 @ 26psi and have it live.
8psi is my limit, but im spraying a wet shot also to get things done quicker.
What engine are you talking about?
I've been land speed racing a boosted ZX10 for 2 years, and have never (knock on wood) had a bearing issue. Since the W/A intercooler was hooked up I've been running between 20 and 26psi.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I've been land speed racing a boosted ZX10 for 2 years, and have never (knock on wood) had a bearing issue. Since the W/A intercooler was hooked up I've been running between 20 and 26psi.
Same engine? Thats great.
I doubt my little t-28 could make that kind of boost. 8lbs is about it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts