Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 173 Posts

·
The Movie Goer!
6,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's getting chilly here in the northeast, I know it's only a matter of time before it gets too cold to ride. Gonna try an take advantage of every nice sunday that mother nature gives me. I'm mad I didn't get out today for a little while, it managed to get up to low 60's. I'm gonna try to stay out as long as I can stand the cold? I have my long johns and under armor cold gear on stand by! :helmet:

·
ZX-10R enthusiast
6,562 Posts
dude. . . that sucks. We ride all year round here in H-Town :hello:

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
It was 80 yesterday and I didn't get to ride... my 10 is out of commission and may be totaled. I still have the stunt bike to ride, but I'd rather have a pretty street bike to ride, hopefully I can get something good before it gets too cold this winter.

·
Guilty by association
8,751 Posts
year round for me too,

·
Registered
4,818 Posts
Well, with all of the debris on the ground it was getting sketchy a bit. Seems I always find a pile of leaves or whatnot right at the apex of a turn LOL. And of course, it was down to 24 last night :eek:.

I put my 10R up just yesterday...rapped her out one more time for the season which reminded me why I love my bike so much. Now it is time to clean the crap out of her and do the winterization process....new front and rear stands on the way woot woot.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I don't do the whole shutting down and putting stuff away. We get at least a few days almost every month of the winter suitable for riding. This past winter, Feb riding was better than March and much of April. Only thing is that once the snow starts in the mountains the canyon roads are pretty much shot.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I shut it down in mid to late December in TO. When it gets down to -2 deg C between 9am to 6pm

Generally in those temps I keep my speeds down to 60-80 kph so I don't lose my fingers. My body, legs and face can take more, but fingers can only take 15 mins of riding in a stationary position under -2 and the likely hood of snow sticking is the real problem.

·
MIdlife PIMP
3,459 Posts
will most likley ride till bout mid November or early December,,,,,but it seems come January?/......it is warm enough to ride but too damn cold to enjoy it!
Although this year,..I will probably pack it in around mid November so I can get started on the motor work!!......went out on the Parkway for an easy Sunday ride today,...it was bout 65 and overcast.,....but still enjoyable!!..............well,......till a freak in a jetta almost plowed me as they were passing a line of cars on the dbl yellow as I was comin round a curve!.........but I MANAGED A MAJOR fu BIRD AS HE SNUCK BACK INTO HIS LANE!!..HHAHAH

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,188 Posts
I usually don't, though right now it's been raining for what seems an eternity... :rolleyes:

In late Dec. and early January I take a small hiatus but sometimes it gets warm enough to take a spin during that time too. Not quite year round riding but close.

·
Chairman of the Board
16,124 Posts
Record heat here, looks like good riding weather hasnt even got to us yet. I think the heat can be more miserable than the cold.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Somewhat year-round here in MD. I'll ride down to about 40*F, but that's mostly just to work and back which is only 7.5 miles away. It's all about the winter gear!

·
Registered
83 Posts
just woke up here in michigan and its 30' outside......hasnt gotten warmer than 50 in the past 3 weeks-and tons of rain with it. I dont see much more riding here in the midwest till next season.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I think I did my last ride of the season Yesterday. It was so cold we had to ride like old men on a cruisers. Roads were cold and damp so no traction, and the air was cold, so, I think this is it.

Here is what I am going to do.

-change the oil & filter
-fog the engine with spray fogging oil down the intake
-top up the fuel to the neck of the gas tank and add fuel stabilzer
-full wash, blow dry and wax the bike
-lube the chain with some motul 300v oil (I use motul chain lube when riding though)
-battery tender
-bike up on stands
-old bed sheet wrapped around the entire bike
-old packing blanket on top
-then a large sheet of plastic over the entire thing and tied up with some string

I also heat my garage, so it doesnt freez in there over the winter

·
I really need to get out of the house
13,310 Posts
Record heat here, looks like good riding weather hasnt even got to us yet. I think the heat can be more miserable than the cold.

you would say that Or if you were here....I might get another month of riding in, went out on Sunday, it was nice but cold....burrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!

·
Registered
58 Posts
I don't do the whole shutting down and putting stuff away. We get at least a few days almost every month of the winter suitable for riding. This past winter, Feb riding was better than March and much of April. Only thing is that once the snow starts in the mountains the canyon roads are pretty much shot.
:+1:......Not too far from you down I-70 & Just like you I don't shut shyt down, just wait for a semi decent day to bend a few corners. Hell as long as the streets are clear of ice or snow & no lower than 40 degrees I'll get some riding in.

1 - 20 of 173 Posts