Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I was puttin' Diablo back together today I decided to flip the shifter linkage and try GP (reverse pattern) shiftin'. Due to the cold I only put on about 10 miles testin the speedohealer settings and the shiftin' pattern but I've gotta say I think I like GP shiftin' better than stock. I like the idea of havin' my foot on top of the lever instead of under it goin' up through the gears. The only "problem" I ran into was the fact that I had to leave the lever pretty low to make the front heim joint clear the lower fairing. If I end up likin' this shift pattern as much as I think I will I'll either find a shorter shift linkage rod or trim the lower for clearance so I can adjust the lever back up where I'd like it.

So, who else is reverse pattern shiftin'? Just curious...

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lemme ask this then. Were you able to get the lever up high enough to be comfortable with the stock shift rod, and without havin' to clearance the lower? Mine is a bit low for my comfort. I haven't tried adjustin' it yet but it doesn't look like the rod is gonna have enough thread to bring it up where I want it. If I turn the front slide on joint any more to bring the lever up the heim joint boot hits the lower. Just wondered how you guys got around that... :dontknow:

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I plan to experiment with it when my 40 tooth rear comes in. Looks like reverse pattern is the only way I can use the shift rod quickshift kit for my PC3USB. There is no room for it with my Sato rearsets, using normal shift. I have a hard time shifting with my Sidi boots on in normal shift pattern also. That's probably more to do with my current shift lever angle. This is off topic, but I can't wait to install my -1/+1 sprocket combo.

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
SP8 said:
I plan to experiment with it when my 40 tooth rear comes in. Looks like reverse pattern is the only way I can use the shift rod quickshift kit for my PC3USB. There is no room for it with my Sato rearsets, using normal shift. I have a hard time shifting with my Sidi boots on in normal shift pattern also. That's probably more to do with my current shift lever angle. This is off topic, but I can't wait to install my -1/+1 sprocket combo.

Should be a wild ride! -1 up front is insane enough for me. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
5,042 Posts
I trimmed my lower fairing with a dremmel, but you can adjust the shift rod as well so that it will clear from what I hear.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
i went gp and will never go back.

i haven't played with the adjustment much yet

Also the -1 / +1 was great, for the whole 4 hours that I had it untill ?I wrecked.

I can say mucho easy wheelies!

very snappy!

loves it!

·
I really need to get out of the house
11,176 Posts
I changed mine over the day I got it. The shifter was bumping the fairing from April untill just this last weekend when I put the rearsets on, still no mark on the fairing.
Of course I did buff off the end of the shifter rod about 1/8" with a dremel. I think the only thing that touches is the rubber boot.

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Big Daddy said:
Ol skool shiftin ya'll cheatin fuggers. :lol:

BD
If ya ain't cheatin' ya ain't tryin' hard enough. :thumbsup:

·
Hillbillie Mod
20,155 Posts
Frankyoz said:
I too am a GP shifter hate normal shifting GP seems easier go figure.
I couldn't imagine going back...makes shifting during wheelies much easier...

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
hillcountry10r said:
I couldn't imagine going back...makes shifting during wheelies much easier...
Well, I don't really wheelie other than the occasional power wheelie but where I think I'll like it is on my insane top speed runs. I've never liked the thought of havin' my foot below the lever at those speeds waitin' to click the next gear...

I just maxed out the adjustment but can't go for a ride to see if it came up enough. I'll have to wait for the weather to decide to cooperate with my days off again. wish me luck! :sad:

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
An old school ghetto GP shift is using the shifter from a 98 VFR800...cost $35 and it attaches directly onto the shift shaft giving a much better and more postive engagement...there is no linkage to mess with, just hit the lever and you know the shaft is moving. I haven't done this on the 10r because I'm used to regular shifting again, but if my 26 year old memory still works, the shifter is 5 3/4" long, so measure that to ensure you still have pegs set back far enough....Can I get my name to say "King of the Ghetto"?
I'm shocked BD, didn't know this from all of the Honda boards he goes to??? Were you asleep during that class bd?

1 - 20 of 60 Posts