Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I now have around 1200 miles on my 08 and was wondering how long I should wait before using synthetic oil and what type is recommended?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. No problems with clutch plates? I have always used castrol 20w50 because of the heat and and have had some friends give conflicting advice about synthetics, I was thinking of Motul.

·
Registered
186 Posts
:hello:Try BEL-RAY EXS 5W-60!!A top brand for every use (track or street ride) and every season!and it's especially developed for wet clutches.!!!

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I've always heard from the mechanics I race with,wait till you get to 3,000 miles then put in the synthetic oil.
All the internals are properly seated and broke in at this range.
How you break in the bike is another monster,
how you oil it is life or death of your bike!

·
I really need to get out of the house
11,176 Posts
I wait until 2000. Like gloct, I've heard 3000 recommended alot.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I do 2,500. The OEM oil is specially formulated, break-in oil. Recommended for the first 2-3K miles.
Oh boy there's goes the top on the can of worms:lol:

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the help. I think I'll wait for 3000. As nice as the weather has been that won't take very long

·
Registered
93 Posts
I worked as a researcher for a company that makes engine gaskets. Best to wait until at least 2k. Then for sure switch to synthetic. The difference in corrosion of rubber gaskets and breakdown between synthetic oil and conventional oil is amazing! especially at higher temps.

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Oh boy there's goes the top on the can of worms:lol:
:+1:

You can tell it's spring again by all the oil threads. And all the BS nonsense about how you have to break an engine in with dino oil. And I can't believe someone quoted a dealership manager and it's "mechanics". 99% of the time these people know less about bikes and engines in general than my wife. Can't count how many times I've been warned t onever put synthetic oil in my bikes because it'll ruin them. :headshake:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 39 Posts