Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gonna adjust my chain. How many ft-lbs for the axle nut?

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanx again BD!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Chain alignment method

Is there a significant difference in accuracy using a chain alignment tool as opposed to the scale on the swingarm? JC, I've always used the scale and never doubted 'til now. Makes me wonder though if the scale isn't good enough cuz ppl are using other methods. (Inquiring minds need to know..... :dontknow:)

·
I really need to get out of the house
11,176 Posts
I don't have a chain alignment tool. But I did the old string wrapped around the back tire method of teasting and my lines don't seem to be off at all.

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
AV8R said:
Is there a significant difference in accuracy using a chain alignment tool as opposed to the scale on the swingarm? JC, I've always used the scale and never doubted 'til now. Makes me wonder though if the scale isn't good enough cuz ppl are using other methods. (Inquiring minds need to know..... :dontknow:)
I use digi calipers and manage to get within 0.010mm between both sides and the OEM lines seem damn close where i'm from. but then what would you expect Andy?

BD

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanx for the reply guys. I used the swingarm scale and tried the string method too. If it's off, I don't think it'll be more than a few tenths of a mm, since I don't have digi calipers I don't know. I'm pretty anal when it comes to this stuff and don't trust myself eyeballin' the string lol. I always remember those optical illusions that fool ya with perception and wonder if that's happening to me (like the parallel train tracks that don't look parallel, lol).

If anyone wants to add any methods they use that may be more precise, all is welcome and appreciated. Thanx

BTW, if anyone here uses the laser type...which brand (if any in particular) do you guys recommend?

·
Registered
516 Posts
Big Daddy said:
I use digi calipers and manage to get within 0.010mm between both sides and the OEM lines seem damn close where i'm from. but then what would you expect Andy?

BD
BD,
Did you use the caliper to actually align the rear tire? Where did you measure?

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
Well i used paint to give ya some idea where i measure. The Red line just below the adjusting bolt is where i take the measurement from for both sides.

BD

Attachments

·
Registered
516 Posts
Big Daddy said:
Well i used paint to give ya some idea where i measure. The Red line just below the adjusting bolt is where i take the measurement from for both sides.

BD
BD,
You gotta long chain, which one did you use ?
The reason I ask about where you take the measurement is the axle support blocks are a different cross section. The left one is about .110 of an inch wider (on my bike). That would make the distance to the centerline of the axle different by .055 of an inch when measuring how far the bolt pushes the block back (.055 is a lot). You would get much closer if you put the point of the caliper in the slot that represents the axle centerline and measure from there forward on both sides. But...even the alignment lines are not centered on the blocks (on my bike). So...that's why I use a string type alignment method and when I have to tighten the chain I go by flats on the bolt.

Mike

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
BIKEMIKE said:
BD,
You gotta long chain, which one did you use ?
Why yes i do :smile: ..... its a DID 525erv.

The reason I ask about where you take the measurement is the axle support blocks are a different cross section. The left one is about .110 of an inch wider (on my bike). That would make the distance to the centerline of the axle different by .055 of an inch when measuring how far the bolt pushes the block back (.055 is a lot). You would get much closer if you put the point of the caliper in the slot that represents the axle centerline and measure from there forward on both sides. But...even the alignment lines are not centered on the blocks (on my bike). So...that's why I use a string type alignment method and when I have to tighten the chain I go by flats on the bolt.

Mike
OK lets see.
Your right the blocks are of diff widths (left/drive block= 40mm) (brake block= 37mm)
since my measurements are taken from the same location on both sides how would the overall dimensions of the blocks make any diff ??
In measuring the length of thread on each adjusting bolt i have the following: drive side 28.10mm.....brake side 28.47mm. While you can visibly see the diff at the rear of both blocks when everything is adjusted and tightened down I doubt its detectable @ the front where i measure from so unless i'm waaaaaay :confused: and :eyecrazy: (which is possible) me thinks its OK.

BD

·
Registered
516 Posts
Big Daddy said:
Why yes i do :smile: ..... its a DID 525erv.

OK lets see.
Your right the blocks are of diff widths (left/drive block= 40mm) (brake block= 37mm)
since my measurements are taken from the same location on both sides how would the overall dimensions of the blocks make any diff ??
In measuring the length of thread on each adjusting bolt i have the following: drive side 28.10mm.....brake side 28.47mm. While you can visibly see the diff at the rear of both blocks when everything is adjusted and tightened down I doubt its detectable @ the front where i measure from so unless i'm waaaaaay :confused: and :eyecrazy: (which is possible) me thinks its OK.

BD
If you have the same front measurment (block to chassis) the wider block will be pushed back more. If you take the difference in block widths, 40mm minus 37mm and divide that 3mm by 2 the resulting 1.5mm is the amount of extra material you have on the wider block in front (and back) of your axle centerline. Measure from the groove (axle centerline) on the block to the front of the block, that measurment on the left block is larger and that blocks axle centerline is pushed back more when the front measurment is the same on both blocks.
All I wanted is to point this out so somebody doesn't read this thread and think that their wheel will be aligned if they just make that front of block measurment equal. Although after aligning my wheel with the string method mine is pretty close.

Mike

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
BIKEMIKE said:
If you have the same front measurment (block to chassis) the wider block will be pushed back more. If you take the difference in block widths, 40mm minus 37mm and divide that 3mm by 2 the resulting 1.5mm is the amount of extra material you have on the wider block in front (and back) of your axle centerline. Measure from the groove (axle centerline) on the block to the front of the block, that measurment on the left block is larger and that blocks axle centerline is pushed back more when the front measurment is the same on both blocks.
And some more...........
40mm block groove to chassis 53.5mm
37mm block groove toi chassis 52.6mm

40mm block groove to front edge of block 19.75mm
37mm block groove to front edge of block 18.22mm

So based on this info i adjusted my chain accordingly and will not likely notice any seat of the panties diff but mentally i'll know all is right with the world once again.......maybe :wink:

All I wanted is to point this out so somebody doesn't read this thread and think that their wheel will be aligned if they just make that front of block measurment equal. Although after aligning my wheel with the string method mine is pretty close.

Mike
Mike i too enjoy the exchange of feedback from others in order to gain valuable knowledge so that i can pass it along when needed so please don't misunderstand my continued postings as argumentative or challenging as thats not my position. :thumbsup:

BD

·
Registered
516 Posts
Big Daddy said:
And some more...........
40mm block groove to chassis 53.5mm
37mm block groove toi chassis 52.6mm

40mm block groove to front edge of block 19.75mm
37mm block groove to front edge of block 18.22mm

So based on this info i adjusted my chain accordingly and will not likely notice any seat of the panties diff but mentally i'll know all is right with the world once again.......maybe

Mike i too enjoy the exchange of feedback from others in order to gain valuable knowledge so that i can pass it along when needed so please don't misunderstand my continued postings as argumentative or challenging as thats not my position.

BD
Good show

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
i used a laser type alignment tool. The grooves are off a tad when the lasers are aligned. One is in front of the line while the other is behind it. I can't give specifics because I'm at work.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts