Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a set of Bridgestone BT-003 DOT Race tires that have 1 track day on them. Ever since the track day (which was last June or so) they have been in my back room.

My question is, will they be okay just sitting for a while until I can get back to the track?

I'm assuming they'll be fine since its not in the sun and its got AC, but i just want to make sure.

I dont wanna show up for my next track day with junk tires :badteeth:

·
Registered
265 Posts
ive heard of guys wrapping them in airtight plastics and stuff to try and prevent the oils from being pulled out but i really have no idea. doubt it would hurt anything though.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm hoping they will be okay. They certainly weren't cheap :p

I was hoping I would have made it to the track again this year but with work and finances, it just didn't pan out.

Anyone have any experience storing tires for a period of time? Good or bad results?

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Put them in black trash bags and you will be good. A buddy of mine does it for his race slicks/wheels and swears by it.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Put them in black trash bags and you will be good. A buddy of mine does it for his race slicks/wheels and swears by it.
I never even considered that. I will do that tonight.

Hopefully there haven't been any negative effects from them sitting for 6 months so far.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I believe thats the reason why tires are wrapped for long periods of time.
To prevent the elements from affecting them and to help maintain the natural oils in the rubber.
Forget adding extra oils as cosmoline,the additives you use to remove the cosmo will destroy that tire.
As previously stated wrap it in a thick trash bag and store in a dry cool place on it's side.Prevent flat spotting by laying it on it's side.

·
Banned
2,838 Posts
keep then in a dark dry place they will be fine!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts