Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got the call that my bike is affected so I gotta take it in to a dealer to fix and my question is this: How long does it generally take for them to replace gears 2,3 and 4? I am missing track time while they do this dammit!!!!!!!

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
'16 ZX-10R KRT
15,697 Posts
The process shouldn't take more that a few hours, but that will depend on how busy the dealership is with all the bikes or how long they have to wait for parts. Could take a couple of days depending on when they can squeeze you in.

Reactions: Fantastic

·
The Pace
7,159 Posts
Depends upon dealer. I always talk to service admin and set up drop off time; then wait for the phone call to get the bike out of there. So funny. And I never pressure techs about getting the job done fast. In another way, don't get on the wrong side of a tech guy or lady or whatever.

·
Registered
44 Posts
my dealer when they called me they told me that Kawasaki had the recall listed as taking 3 hours. Took a few days to get the part(s) in, they did the recall the same day they got the parts in.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Am I correct in assuming they will have to drain the oil to do this job?

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
'16 ZX-10R KRT
15,697 Posts
Am I correct in assuming they will have to drain the oil to do this job?
Nope. :headshake: It's not a bad idea to do that, but there's no requirement to drain the oil to remove the cassette transmission. Some small amount of oil will likely come out when the clutch cover is removed, but the oil does not need to be drained and refilled.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Do the dealers change the gears in the transmission or Kawasaki gives them the whole input and output shaft already assemble for them to just install?

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
'16 ZX-10R KRT
15,697 Posts
Do the dealers change the gears in the transmission or Kawasaki gives them the whole input and output shaft already assemble for them to just install?
According the details I've read, this applies to 2nd, 3rd, 4th input gears and 2nd gear output. So they will be the gear cogs themselves, not complete input/output shafts.

Reactions: chiffeee

·
OMG Look at that squid!!
2,595 Posts
Just made the call... Looks like mine is involved... BOO. Parts ordered.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Just got my bike back today, dealer said at least 3-4 hours so i told them to take their time and gave them the whole 24 hours. I gotta admit the shifting and all feels smoother, at least to me.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Mine is going in today. I am needing to change the oil anyway, but will probably get back and run it just a little to get any possible debris from the new gears in the pan and drain it them.

Actually we a dragging two in today for this. My parts were in last week, but I didn't want to be the FIRST one they did :grin2:

They have done 6 of them already, so hopefully they have this down.

·
OMG Look at that squid!!
2,595 Posts
I asked the same question... "have you guys already done this?" I was told yes. I hope they are being honest. Back in the day, I took my Yamaha Roadstar Warrior in for the tranny recall (2003?). Anyway, that required a complete case split. She was a completely different bike after. Not in a bad way, but it was amazing how different it felt, as a whole.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Talked to my dealers service dept. today. They wont even order the parts until I bring the bike by. Dude was being real weird about it like my bike is the only mode of transportation. He sounded very high strung and cautious when I talked about riding it to them.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Talked to my dealers service dept. today. They wont even order the parts until I bring the bike by. Dude was being real weird about it like my bike is the only mode of transportation. He sounded very high strung and cautious when I talked about riding it to them.
Fuck a bunch of that.

Sent from my XT1045 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
44 Posts
Kawasaki's racing kit parts lists gear shims, I somewhat understand the point of shimming a transmission but just assumed its kind of pointless on a modern 1000. With that said, I'm sure someone knows way more than i do about this could chime in. Would it be worth it to just pay the shop a bit extra to properly shim the transmission at the same time?

Mines all done but its the middle of winter here so no testing until spring.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts