Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
81 - 99 of 99 Posts

· Registered
226 Posts
1st 87 cbr 600 f1
2nd 97 gsxr 750
3rd 05 zx10r

it was about 4yrs experience before the 10r. i never felt overwhelmed by it. this thread should have a poll attached to it. it would be interesting to how many years experience most people have before riding a liter bike.

· Registered
119 Posts
8 years....
Started on a 600 Katana :crackup: and then went with a CBR F2. After a stint of track days and racing with CCS I sold it and went with an 04 Gixxer 600. Nice ride but finally went with a liter bike. The amazing Gen 1 10R.

I personally don't think that the size of the bike matters nor the experience but the maturity one has and the respect of the machine he/she is riding. A moron could just as easily wrap himself around a tree just as quickly on a 600 as he could on any liter bike.

· Servo's Eliminatus ;)
6,820 Posts
My first liter bike was a 1977 KZ1000.

My father bought it for me in 1980 from my brother in law for me after

he laid it down and wouldn't get back on it.

Didn't hurt the bike much, just needed new handle bars (not clip-ons lol) left

peg and clutch lever.

Doug on the other hand was ate up with road rash and never rode again.

Anyway, I went from a CR 250 Elsinor to the KZ1000.

So, that would be right at 30 years on a liter bike.

OLD SKOOL

· Registered
1,791 Posts
81 yamaha seca 750 for 3 months
04 RC51 1L V twins still count don't they?1 year
07 zx-10r for past 1 1/2 years

· Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 ·
1st 87 cbr 600 f1
2nd 97 gsxr 750
3rd 05 zx10r

it was about 4yrs experience before the 10r. i never felt overwhelmed by it. this thread should have a poll attached to it. it would be interesting to how many years experience most people have before riding a liter bike.
good idea, if i knew how to create a poll i would.. lol

· Registered
23,477 Posts
Sounds bad to say but in this forums site I can say 1-5 years is about normal now for you guys taking 15 years wow..
Well really the question is relative meaning it really doesn't matter unless we are talking about the last 10yrs as I took over 15yrs before I bought a 1k but never needed or wanted one it wasn't necessary.

For example in my younger days I use to ride around on my 750 Interceptor and was just as potent as 1ks when it came out. Todays 600cc bikes would destroy 1ks of yesterday. I also had a 900 ninja that would destroy 1ks of yesterday. It really depends on a time frame of history of when you started. Todays 1ks is what counts they are at a Very high level but yesterdays 1ks are no better or faster than your typical 600cc bike of today. :wink:

bloo

· Servo's Eliminatus ;)
6,820 Posts
Sounds bad to say but in this forums site I can say 1-5 years is about normal now for you guys taking 15 years wow..

Keep in mind now that some of us started real young and back in the hey day

when the two strokers were king.

My first liter bike had around 93 hp new KZ1000

· Registered
1,975 Posts
i rode a katana 600 geared for just over a year, then after basic and AIT i bought a 01 gsxr 1000 in 2005. in 2008 i bought a zx10r and its the best by far in everything.

· Registered
4,834 Posts
Hellrazor bringing up the KZ...ahh their was a KZ in my garage for years! I can still get my hands on it and you got me thinking about it LOL. I also see you had an Elsinore...I still have one too.

Then you got bloo talking about that 750 of his. My friend has one needing a rebuild just sitting in his driveway...ahh so many bikes so little time.

· Registered
3 Posts
Crazy? I agree!

Actually, I had never rode a motorcycle in my life (dirt or street) when I bought my 10R. I strongly recommend not doing this for anyone else. Truthfully I had no idea what I was in for at the time. My 06 10r was a handful to learn on. Never been down on it though. Getting it off the rev limiter in 5th gear is a kick in the pants.

· Registered
415 Posts
sat on my friends 02 zuk1k...asked him for the keys rode up and down my almost 1/8 mile driveway .....went out 3 days latter and bought 05 10r...i was to nervous to ride it so the guy i bought it from put it on trailer for me. came home and slept 2 hours never took bike off trailer and left for myrtle beach bike week...so first time i rode the bike was in multi story parking garage at the beach. first time i shifted to 2nd or went faster then 20mph was on hwy 17 in bike week traffic.....had several close calls that weekend.....supermaned off the bike in a ditch 2 months latter...laying in the hospital i realized why you begin on a beginners bike

to be honest my wreck would have happened on any bike...i did not have the skill yet to know what to do in the situation.

but if i had to do it again i would ave bought a 600 for my first bike...but i love my ten now so it all worked out

81 - 99 of 99 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.