Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i went for a quick spin today and decided to turn the throttle back a lil bit and the throttle cable snap on me :sad: lucky i wasnt to far from the house bc that wouldve been a long walk... got the bike home and took a look and ncoticed the pull cable is the one that broke... ive already ordered a new pair but my question is how hard is it to change out the throttle cables on the gen1's ?

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
If you have ok wrench skilles you'll be alright..... Basically when I did mine I removed my tank,airbox, throttle bodies. Fairly simple job to do .......THis was on a third gen i'm not sure if you can get away with not removing your throttle body's on a 1st gen....All in all its easy either way...

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
already took tank, airbox and bottom plate that the airbox bolts to off just waiting on the new ones... didnt take the TB's off tho... anybody care to share any info if i need to take the TB's off or will i be fine installing them without removing them ?

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
I would think if your that far just take the bodies off only need to loosen the clamp screws and disconnect some connectors....but with that I am sure it's possible to do without removing them. :dontknow:

bloo

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would think if your that far just take the bodies off only need to loosen the clamp screws and disconnect some connectors....but with that I am sure it's possible to do without removing them. :dontknow:

bloo
i was hoping i could just put them on without removing the TB's but we'll see how that goes bloo...

on a 3rd gen you only need to remove the fairings. tank doesn't need to come off.
i have a 1st gen :heyyou:

You should be able to do it without removing the TB.
yea thats wat i was thinking... ima give it a try when the new cables come in and let you guys no how it goes.

·
Registered
541 Posts
It can be done but it's a giant PITA. Find some small long needle nose pliers and a long thin flat screw driver (a head light would help a lot too but I didn't have one), brush up on your swear words.

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It can be done but it's a giant PITA. Find some small long needle nose pliers and a long thin flat screw driver (a head light would help a lot too but I didn't have one), brush up on your swear words.
can't be as hard changing out the plugs i would imagine :lol: ive got long pair of pliers, screw driver and beer for frustration :wink:

Its not to bad, just make sure you check and remember how your cable is ran. If you run it wrong it causes it to tighten up when turning and stuff.
hey magma i left the cables still intact so i can remember how they go... just gota cut 1/4 off the new pull cable so it will fit the 1/5th throttle and fit the new cables... wish me luck :mrgreen:

·
Slow Poke
5,584 Posts
can't be as hard changing out the plugs i would imagine :lol: ive got long pair of pliers, screw driver and beer for frustration :wink:

hey magma i left the cables still intact so i can remember how they go... just gota cut 1/4 off the new pull cable so it will fit the 1/5th throttle and fit the new cables... wish me luck :mrgreen:
Good! lol good luck man. What I'd do if I were you is don't pull the old one off until you got the new one ready then tape them together down by the clutch cover and pull the old one out and the new one in at same time up from the lever side, then you don't have to worry about runnin the new one. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good! lol good luck man. What I'd do if I were you is don't pull the old one off until you got the new one ready then tape them together down by the clutch cover and pull the old one out and the new one in at same time up from the lever side, then you don't have to worry about runnin the new one. :thumbsup:
yep thats exactly how i was going to do it man... that way there ran like they were before and no binding :wink: cables should be here friday and i let you no how it goes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts